Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   Cream in your coffee...how much? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/806923-cream-your-coffee-how-much.html)

Hot Potato 06-26-2013 05:46 PM

Cream in your coffee...how much?

I am a convert to cream in my coffee (I havent yet taken the plunge to include butter and/or coconut oil!! :D )

I use double cream and I usually average around 30-60mls in a cup. I have one cup a day. Wondering if this is about right?

How much cream do you put in your coffee?

Ntombi 06-26-2013 06:06 PM

I don't measure. I just put at enough that it's the right color, which depends on the strength of the coffee. I don't measure most of my food, though.

Try the butter, though, it's delicious. :yummy: I really like coconut oil too, but that's more of a change to the coffee, and I can see how someone might not like it. Whichever you try, use some sort of frother or blender, or you'll likely be turned off!

lovetoknit 06-27-2013 05:19 PM

I don't measure either. I probably add about a tablespoon to my coffee. I have 2 or 3 cups of coffee in the morning.
Carolyn

Hot Potato 06-27-2013 05:29 PM

I am guessing my amounts are okay, especially as it's only one a day.

Felina 06-28-2013 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntombi (Post 16488681)
I don't measure. I just put at enough that it's the right color, which depends on the strength of the coffee. I don't measure most of my food, though.

Try the butter, though, it's delicious. :yummy: I really like coconut oil too, but that's more of a change to the coffee, and I can see how someone might not like it. Whichever you try, use some sort of frother or blender, or you'll likely be turned off!

How do you use the frothier? Just froth the cream and butter, then add to the coffee? Or do you froth up the coffee/cream/butter mixture together?

Ntombi 06-28-2013 04:21 AM

If I'm feeling lazy, I add it all to the mug and froth until it's all mixed together. It stays mixed.

If I'm doing it the way I prefer, I put the butter or coconut oil into the bottom of the mug, along with the sweetzfree liquid Splenda and HWC. I froth all of it together until it's stiff, then slowly add the coffee or tea as I'm frothing. It ends up like a latte that way, with some froth on top.

Both are good, though.

clackley 06-30-2013 07:07 AM

I measure 1 tbsp. of hwc. I also love the bullet proof coffee and also have 1 tsp. salted butter and 1 tbsp of coconut oil. I just mix it. Tried the frother and it was too messy.

Auntie Em 07-01-2013 01:29 PM

Depends on what I want at that time. Sometimes it's one ounce of decaf coffee and four ounces of cream! :) I usually drink tea, and sometimes with that, the tea is just "flavoring" and a bit of caffeine and other tea constituents to add to my butter, cream and beef broth.

MerryKate 07-10-2013 12:02 AM

Salted butter in coffee? Ooh, no thank you - I'll stick to the unsalted. Drinking bulletproof coffee has turned me into a connoisseur of butters - I'm up to the organic, cultured butter now. It really does tastes better, but it's not cheap. I try to stick to one cup a day, plus an additional cup with hwc (2 TB at a time). I know Dr. Atkins recommended not having more than 4 TB of heavy cream in a day, but I don't know if that applies with NK. Anyone have an idea?

Ntombi 07-10-2013 02:01 AM

Have you tried the salted butter? It's delicious. :)

lovetoknit 07-10-2013 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MerryKate (Post 16507586)
Salted butter in coffee? Ooh, no thank you - I'll stick to the unsalted. Drinking bulletproof coffee has turned me into a connoisseur of butters - I'm up to the organic, cultured butter now. It really does tastes better, but it's not cheap. I try to stick to one cup a day, plus an additional cup with hwc (2 TB at a time). I know Dr. Atkins recommended not having more than 4 TB of heavy cream in a day, but I don't know if that applies with NK. Anyone have an idea?

I eat more than 4 TB of cream a day, and it does not hurt me. I don't eat the quantity of vegetables that Atkins recommends, though, so may it have to do with having too many carbs at one time.
Carolyn

Auntie Em 07-10-2013 01:29 PM

I put salted butter in my tea sometimes, as well as beef broth, along with the cream and/or hh.

I often drink 4 - 6 ounces of hwc per day, on days without that much hwc, I eat more beef fat and/or butter.

Peter Dobromylskyj's post on what he eats, might be of interest to some.

Patience 07-10-2013 02:02 PM

I have been adding a pinch of salt to my coffee, as I really get low on sodium and it's a good way to get a bit more in. I think a bit of salt actually adds to the taste.

Ntombi 07-10-2013 04:47 PM

I grew up with my mother adding a pinch of salt to the coffee grounds before brewing. It does bring out the flavor.

SlowSure 07-11-2013 02:37 AM

Some Italians (and Swedes) add salt to coffee grounds although it seems to be a regional variation in both countries.

There's a genetic component to which bitterness compounds you taste (in addition to other factors).

Crudely, salt can reduce the sensation of bitterness without adding sugar. There's an experiment where people taste tonic water, someone stirs in a little salt, gives it to them again and ask if it's changed. People typically report that the tonic water is sweeter (because the bitterness is reduced, the other taste profile in the water is more prominent).

I think it's one of the reasons that some people enjoy sea salt chocolate so much - the addition of salt knocks down the bitterness of the 85% or so chocolate sufficiently for them to be able to taste the rest of the chocolate.

April04 07-11-2013 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auntie Em (Post 16508736)
I put salted butter in my tea sometimes, as well as beef broth, along with the cream and/or hh.

I often drink 4 - 6 ounces of hwc per day, on days without that much hwc, I eat more beef fat and/or butter.

Peter Dobromylskyj's post on what he eats, might be of interest to some.

Great info on this blog. Thanks for sharing Auntie Em.

gordita 07-12-2013 01:12 PM

I usually use 1 - 1.5 oz. per cup. I weigh mine. It's not exact, though, but it keeps me honest. Otherwise I might pour and pour and end up with a little coffee with my cream. I use a frother, too, and love it. Make a difference, especially when using coconut oil.

If it weren't for calories and fat, I'd probably have 1 cup of coffee with cco and cream and 2 of tea with cco and cream every day. So good.

Auntie Em 07-15-2013 12:24 PM

April, I agree about Peter's blog. I don't understand most of the science, but I always check the comments after the blog posts, to see what gets asked and answered.

Gordita, yep, the calories do add up, but oodles of cream and a pinch of pastured butter in tea or coffee is so nice. I sometimes add beef broth and marrow fat, too.

gordita 07-16-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auntie Em (Post 16516140)
April, I agree about Peter's blog. I don't understand most of the science, but I always check the comments after the blog posts, to see what gets asked and answered.

Gordita, yep, the calories do add up, but oodles of cream and a pinch of pastured butter in tea or coffee is so nice. I sometimes add beef broth and marrow fat, too.

It is nice, and way more satisfying!

Patience 07-16-2013 05:58 PM

I try to measure, 2 tbsp of fat per cup. But sometimes I go over, no doubt, but not regularly. Typically two, almost never more than 3 cups a day. I am adding a pinch of salt directly to the oil or fat in the coffee cup. I like the taste and I am always looking for tasty ways to get my salt consumption up.

Auntie Em 07-18-2013 12:00 PM

Gordita, I agree. :) I started adding butter to my tea and beef broth when I lived in a very cold climate, and was reminded of Tibetans putting cultured yak butter, salt, and some milk in their tea. I drink it even in the summer. Not yak butter, but Kerrygold, when I have it, and the beef broth and marrow fat is satisfying and satiating, for me.