Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   Finally ordered my first ketone strips! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/806695-finally-ordered-my-first-ketone-strips.html)

Ntombi 06-23-2013 01:42 PM

Finally ordered my first ketone strips!

I finally bit the bullet and ordered ten ketone test strips. I've had both the Novamax and the Precision Xtra testers for several months, but I couldn't bring myself to pay so much for so few strips. The prices are outrageous! :faint:

But I ordered 10 Precision Xtra strips through universaldrugstore, which had the best price I could find. I'm definitely not going to use them regularly, but I just want to see.

How often do you test your blood ketone levels?

Weezy 06-23-2013 06:08 PM

For quite a while I tested every morning, mostly to see how I reacted to things. Now that I'm more confident about what raises/lowers my levels of ketones, I just do spot checks like once a week or so.

drjlocarb 06-24-2013 06:34 AM

I test every day. For me it's like weighing every day. It keeps me accountable and on track.

When you have been stalled for 2 years, the price of the strips is inconsequential.

clackley 06-24-2013 09:34 AM

I am very stingy with my strips (now $2.10 per), and test every wk or so first thing in the a.m.. I will also test in the event that I consume something that I think might change my status.

Ntombi 06-24-2013 07:07 PM

Yeah, I can't see myself testing with any regularity.

I'm going to eat like normal and test every day for a week, and see where to go from there. Unless of course, I'm under 0.5 to begin with! Then I'll figure out a different plan.

I just wish they weren't so darn expensive! Ten strips costs almost as much as getting my body fat tested hydrostatically!

SlowSure 06-27-2013 02:23 AM

Precision Xtra strips are 66 for a pack of 10 in the UK (not including P&P), so that's about 100 dollars or 10 dollars per strip? The Freestyle strips are a mere 40 or 62 dollars for 10 (not including P&P).

There's a new, public access, non-profit site for running informal randomised trials with yourself and/or others on particular issues that interest you (Randomise Me). I was thinking of proposing one on some dietary modifications for controlling migraine and wondered if ketone testing might be a useful part of that. However, having seen the UK prices, the answer is an emphatic 'No'.

It's also very tricky to obtain a meter in the UK unless you're diabetic, in which case it's prescribed for you which probably explains why the market is so distorted here. :)

Ntombi 06-27-2013 02:49 AM

$10?! :faint: I thought over $2/strip was robbery.

So are the strips covered if you get it via prescription?

SlowSure 06-27-2013 03:07 AM

It depends on who is monitoring your diabetes, your GP's clinic in Primary Care or a Secondary/Tertiary Centre where you're probably seeing an endocrinologist. It may also vary with your type of diabetes (1, 1.5 or a brittle 2).

However, yes, if you can make a good case for a ketone monitor and strips or your endocrinologist advises them, and the GP agrees, then they will be prescription items for you and therefore covered. I gather some GPs limit the number of strips in a month but others don't.

Ntombi 06-27-2013 04:20 AM

Interesting, thanks.

clackley 06-27-2013 04:53 AM

Slowsure, can you order on line from Canada? I am shocked that the mark up could be so much. Clearly someone is gouging.

SlowSure 06-27-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clackley (Post 16489096)
Slowsure, can you order on line from Canada? I am shocked that the mark up could be so much. Clearly someone is gouging.

That's a good thought, thank you. I'll check to see if it's practical to order to stay under the limit at which the Royal Mail withholds the parcel and starts charging the equivalent of $32 to be able to pick it up (never mind VAT/additional sales taxes).

Ntombi 06-27-2013 02:46 PM

My ten strips cost $26.99. :)

SlowSure 06-28-2013 06:05 AM

I can purchase from Ntombi's site. :) Hm - that would work for me, I'll need to ask if other people would be OK about doing this for the trial.

Thank you, both :)

clackley 06-28-2013 06:36 AM

check out diabetesexpress in Canada as my stips were cheaper at 20.99 per 10 pack.

Ntombi 06-29-2013 04:07 PM

The strips were $19.99, the shipping was $7. Just to compare apples to apples. I looked at diabetesexpress, but they don't ship to the USA. :(

Haven't gotten them yet, maybe Monday.

clackley 06-29-2013 04:35 PM

Good to know. I bet they don't ship to the U.K. either then.

Ntombi 06-29-2013 11:25 PM

Right, nothing outside of Canada.

Ntombi 07-01-2013 04:53 PM

I got them today, so I can test tomorrow morning. I'm excited to see what it says.

I am such a numbers geek, it's ridiculous. :rolleyes: I also have my next BF% test scheduled and I'm excited for that too. :laugh:

SlowSure 07-02-2013 01:44 AM

I completely understand the desire for numbers, particularly if you can then plot and graph them. :o Is it wrong that I'm excited for you to get some feedback on how you're progressing?

Ntombi 07-02-2013 02:04 AM

Thanks! :laugh:

I'm telling myself to go to sleep so I can wake up and test, but I'm reading a really good book right now. :o

Ntombi 07-02-2013 01:26 PM

0.5! :)

And I ate way too much protein yesterday too--about 185g when my loose goal is 135. I knew it, but I had decided I was going to eat like normal for a week and see what the results were. Well, sometimes I eat too much protein, so...

Anyway, the total was 0.5, so I'm happy with that.

SlowSure 07-02-2013 02:49 PM

From the little I know, that sounds as if you're in the recommended 'zone', so that is very useful information for you, given your decision about how to eat.

I wonder if this indicates that you're preserving your LBM just as well as you'd intended. I suppose it's, 'Watch this space' for the results of your next hydro assessment. :)

Ntombi 07-03-2013 10:47 AM

Yes, my next test is on the 14th. :clap:

This is cool. :)

Geek alert! Feel free to roll your eyes and ignore the rest of this. :D

I've decided to track everything I eat for this week, so I can see how it affects my ketone levels. I very rarely track, just maybe once or twice a month as a spot check out of curiosity, but I figure if I'm going to do the ketone levels, I might as well get all the info I can. :)

Once again, I ate slightly more protein than usual yesterday, but it seems to be okay: my levels were higher, not just over the line, but solidly in the "butter zone." (Pun intended ;)) I'm going to keep on eating like normal, which means I eat only induction allowed foods, count nothing but carbs, but am protein-conscious (obviously with varying success).

Just for point of clarity, according to my last hydrostatic body fat analysis, I have 154 lbs of LBM, which is how I arrived at my very loose protein goal of 130g. My not loose upper limit of total carbohydrates is 20g per day.

Blood Ketone Log

July 2 -- 0.5
Previous day's food
Cal-1809 c-10.4 p-180 f-111

July 3 -- 1.3
Previous day's food
Cal-1735 c-14.5 p-151 f-117

iamkathy01 07-04-2013 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntombi (Post 16495880)
I got them today, so I can test tomorrow morning. I'm excited to see what it says.

I am such a numbers geek, it's ridiculous. :rolleyes: I also have my next BF% test scheduled and I'm excited for that too. :laugh:

Ntombi, how did you find a place to do the body fat measurement? I've googled it and don't see it anywhere near me :-(
Kathy

Ntombi 07-04-2013 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamkathy01 (Post 16499671)
Ntombi, how did you find a place to do the body fat measurement? I've googled it and don't see it anywhere near me :-(
Kathy

I found mine through googling. I did a quick and dirty search and found a Bod Pod in Baltimore, which might work for you. Bod Pods aren't as accurate as DEXA and hydrostatic testing, but they're still better than calipers and BIA.

July 4 morning -- 1.2
Previous day's food
Cal -- 2042 c -- 16.5 p -- 111 f -- 169

Patience 07-04-2013 01:43 PM

The university in my town has a tank where they do underwater weighing. They do research studies.
Is that the same as hydrostatic?
I did that about 20 years ago and found I had too much body fat and I was at a weight that is below my goal weight today.

Ntombi 07-04-2013 01:54 PM

Yes, hydrostatic is underwater body fat analysis, also known as a dunk test. :)

iamkathy01 07-04-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntombi (Post 16500294)
Yes, hydrostatic is underwater body fat analysis, also known as a dunk test. :)

What is supposed to be the best do you know Ntombi? Can you call a radiology center and request a Dexa for fat measurement? And thank you for checking for me and finding the Bod Pod! Kathy

Ntombi 07-04-2013 02:07 PM

DEXA is the best, but it only marginally ekes out hydrostatic testing (by within a fraction of a percentage point in accuracy), then Bod Pod, which is a few percentage points behind (but still pretty good at accurate within something like 3-6%), and then calipers, but calipers really depend on the operator. Then BIA (what the Tanita and handheld or scales use), which can be fairly accurate to pretty far off, depending on a number of factors.

Basically, whichever method you use, unless you're really close to goal weight, a bodybuilder or somehow require a high level of precision, it can be helpful long term. Even if it's off by as much as 5%, as you lose excess fat, you can see a trend with any of them.

iamkathy01 07-04-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntombi (Post 16500311)
DEXA is the best, but it only marginally ekes out hydrostatic testing (by within a fraction of a percentage point in accuracy), then Bod Pod, which is a few percentage points behind (but still pretty good at accurate within something like 3-6%), and then calipers, but calipers really depend on the operator. Then BIA (what the Tanita and handheld or scales use), which can be fairly accurate to pretty far off, depending on a number of factors.

Basically, whichever method you use, unless you're really close to goal weight, a bodybuilder or somehow require a high level of precision, it can be helpful long term. Even if it's off by as much as 5%, as you lose excess fat, you can see a trend with any of them.

Thanks Ntombi~ Kathy