Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 06:48 AM   #91
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: iamkathy01
Stats: 147/125.5/???
WOE: Was Low Carb/Now NK
Start Date: In the 90's!
Quote:
Originally Posted by emel View Post
That's what I wanted to know.
I might do another couple days of testing soon.
I haven't been eating at night at all, so it might be a fair test of morning levels. I'll pick a day or two when I sleep well.

Do "we" think that if we don't sleep well it affects our BG levels? How 'bout
blood sugar? My blood sugar yesterday was 125 FASTING AM- have not
been sleeping well this week for some unknown reason! Returned from a week away and although I did extremely well am only seeing .3 BG level fasting AM. Might be tempted to test it later in the day- what is a good time to do that? 2 hours after a meal, or 4? Kathy
iamkathy01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2013, 08:14 AM   #92
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Not necessarily, for either BG or for plasma ketone readings.
However, cortisol levels are impacted by sleep, and all hormones play off one another. I'd bet that a whacked-out cortisol cycle impacts insulin, which impacts blood sugar, which would impact fat-burning, which would impact ketone readings.

But I'm recovering from Night Eating Disorder, and that has to do with what I wrote in my post. Sometimes when I wake I allow myself a small LC snack. One of these days I'll be over that, and I'm much, much better than I was, but for now, waking often means 1/2 piece of almond butter bread, which would impact my fasting readings.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:24 AM   #93
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Not necessarily, for either BG or for plasma ketone readings.
However, cortisol levels are impacted by sleep, and all hormones play off one another. I'd bet that a whacked-out cortisol cycle impacts insulin, which impacts blood sugar, which would impact fat-burning, which would impact ketone readings.

But I'm recovering from Night Eating Disorder, and that has to do with what I wrote in my post. Sometimes when I wake I allow myself a small LC snack. One of these days I'll be over that, and I'm much, much better than I was, but for now, waking often means 1/2 piece of almond butter bread, which would impact my fasting readings.
Okay! Gotcha! Kathy
Old 08-01-2013, 10:36 AM   #94
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkathy01 View Post
Do "we" think that if we don't sleep well it affects our BG levels? How 'bout
blood sugar? My blood sugar yesterday was 125 FASTING AM- have not
been sleeping well this week for some unknown reason! Returned from a week away and although I did extremely well am only seeing .3 BG level fasting AM. Might be tempted to test it later in the day- what is a good time to do that? 2 hours after a meal, or 4? Kathy
Kathy, I don't think sleep affects my FBS. Mine goes down after a few days of being strict. I loosen up a bit, and it rises. If you haven't yet, read through the Blood Sugar 101 website by Jenny Ruhl, it's very good about learning how to test food and blood sugar.

125 fasting puts you in diabetic range so it would be good to get it lower. Were you more lax with your diet when gone?
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:39 AM   #95
Senior LCF Member

Blood ketones still LO today (can't wait till the other strips get here.) My root canal went well yesterday, my mouth is barely tender today. And I had my ultrasound on my foot for neuromas this morning, so we'll see what the doctor says next week.

Today is my day off from work and I can always eat differently for some reason. I think it's because I don't have to think so much and my brain doesn't need fueling. I know that's hokey, but it's how I feel.

Breakfast was just cream and coffee. Had a small salad/dressing and a plain hamburger patty for lunch. I'm thinking maybe more coffee/cream for an afternoon snack, and chicken/veggie kabobs for dinner. I can keep cals low today.

I ordered the Atkins '72 book recently, hopefully it shows up soon.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #96
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnetteW View Post
Kathy, I don't think sleep affects my FBS. Mine goes down after a few days of being strict. I loosen up a bit, and it rises. If you haven't yet, read through the Blood Sugar 101 website by Jenny Ruhl, it's very good about learning how to test food and blood sugar.

125 fasting puts you in diabetic range so it would be good to get it lower. Were you more lax with your diet when gone?
Annette did you whoosh today???? Yes I do know a 125 fasting is NOT good, but today it was 103 and it has been as low as 80's during my fat fasts.....has anyone used the glycosolve that Jimmy Moore touts on his website?

I was really VERY good on our trip, those gals made Key Lime Pie, Brownies, Rice Krispie Treats, Homemade cookies, banana pudding and a couple other desserts- I hate a "bite" and that would be all.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:04 PM   #97
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Blood ketones still LO today (can't wait till the other strips get here.) My root canal went well yesterday, my mouth is barely tender today. And I had my ultrasound on my foot for neuromas this morning, so we'll see what the doctor says next week.

Today is my day off from work and I can always eat differently for some reason. I think it's because I don't have to think so much and my brain doesn't need fueling. I know that's hokey, but it's how I feel.

Breakfast was just cream and coffee. Had a small salad/dressing and a plain hamburger patty for lunch. I'm thinking maybe more coffee/cream for an afternoon snack, and chicken/veggie kabobs for dinner. I can keep cals low today.

I ordered the Atkins '72 book recently, hopefully it shows up soon.
That was my FAVORITE Atkins book! Kathy PS Glad the root canal went well too!
Old 08-01-2013, 02:03 PM   #98
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Annette did you whoosh today???? Yes I do know a 125 fasting is NOT good, but today it was 103 and it has been as low as 80's during my fat fasts.....has anyone used the glycosolve that Jimmy Moore touts on his website?

I was really VERY good on our trip, those gals made Key Lime Pie, Brownies, Rice Krispie Treats, Homemade cookies, banana pudding and a couple other desserts- I hate a "bite" and that would be all.
Oh, good to know it was just a fluke.

No whoosh....bummer. But not up either. I'm actually not a whoosher. I'm very stable with tiny little increments going down daily. Just a little too stable lately.

I'm skipping my snack though I'm actually a little hungry and having coffee/cream instead. Will make dinner so much better.

Got my hair done today. It's shorter and blonder.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:15 PM   #99
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Oh, good to know it was just a fluke.

No whoosh....bummer. But not up either. I'm actually not a whoosher. I'm very stable with tiny little increments going down daily. Just a little too stable lately.

I'm skipping my snack though I'm actually a little hungry and having coffee/cream instead. Will make dinner so much better.

Got my hair done today. It's shorter and blonder.
Good for you on the hair! Hot mine done today too- and it is shorter and darker- the beach had bleached it too much! Then I went to the dermatologist for a skin survey <JOY> and and go back tomorrow for a mole removal......are we having fun yet??? Kathy
Old 08-01-2013, 04:01 PM   #100

Heh I got a haircut today. We must all be in synch.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:29 PM   #101
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Heh I got a haircut today. We must all be in synch.
Too funny~ that is three of us!
Old 08-01-2013, 04:32 PM   #102
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Fasting blood glucose can be elevated for some low carbers. This is known as physiological insulin resistance (as opposed to pathological). Peter of hyperlipid writes about it in his blog. Simply put, it seems to be a function of consistent low carb eating (ketogenic) and the a1c will be the telling factor.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:35 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Fasting blood glucose can be elevated for some low carbers. This is known as physiological insulin resistance (as opposed to pathological). Peter of hyperlipid writes about it in his blog. Simply put, it seems to be a function of consistent low carb eating (ketogenic) and the a1c will be the telling factor.
I"ve read that as well.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:39 PM   #104
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Well I had thought that was the result of glycogenisis (SP) ??? (when your body uses protein to make sugar)??? I'll have to read Peters blog- have not read any of his stuff. More poor weary brain.... Kathy
Old 08-01-2013, 04:49 PM   #105
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Quote:
the a1c will be the telling factor.
in what way? I thought it goes down with consistent low carbing, but that's a function of the blood glucose being lower.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #106
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
in what way? I thought it goes down with consistent low carbing, but that's a function of the blood glucose being lower.
Correct. It should stay within normal range.

I have a higher than would be expected fasting b.g. of a person who has been consistently low carbing (ketogenic) for years but my a1c is always normal.

Btw, Kathy, I did try Glucosolve for 3 months and it did lower my f.b.g. But I found it expensive and was not sure what the long term benefit would be. I do a ketogenic woe and am not diabetic. There does not seem to be anything else I can do even if I were suddenly diabetic.

Last edited by clackley; 08-02-2013 at 05:41 PM..
Old 08-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #107
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

I have a higher than would be expected fasting b.g. of a person who has been consistently low carbing (ketogenic) for years but my a1c is always normal.

Btw, Kathy, I did try Glucosolve for 3 months and it did lower my f.b.g. But I found it expensive and was not sure what the long term benefit would be. I do a ketogenic woe and am not diabetic. There does not seem to be anything else I can do even if I were suddenly diabetic.
Interesting! Thanks! I looked back at my A1C's and they have been 6 and under. Kathy
Old 08-02-2013, 08:57 PM   #108
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:

Now, that's interesting, because I thought the A1C was simply a reflection of BG over time. Off to Google.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:25 AM   #109
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Now, that's interesting, because I thought the A1C was simply a reflection of BG over time. Off to Google.
Report back Ntombi please! Kathy
Old 08-03-2013, 09:37 AM   #110

Ooh ooh Teacher! Pick me!

Quote:

Quote:

A1C is an average of your glucose levels 24 hours a day, including times when people are less likely to check their blood glucose

so it is possible to have a high fasting level and then level off with more moderate post-prandial readings to achieve a normal a1c.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #111
Blabbermouth!!!

Oh, that makes total sense, emel! And I know my post meal readings hardly go up after a meal, so I can see how even if one had a higher fasting level, it would even out.

I didn't google very deeply last night; I got distracted. Teh innernets do that sometimes.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:08 AM   #112
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Oh, that makes total sense, emel! And I know my post meal readings hardly go up after a meal, so I can see how even if one had a higher fasting level, it would even out.

I didn't google very deeply last night; I got distracted. Teh innernets do that sometimes.
LOL, Ntombi I understand that! And Emel, thanks! Interesting about the Glycosolve! And it sure is not cheap!
I just read a "Sample" of Diet 101, and ordered the paperback- written in an easy to understand format and she explains Blood Sugar and Low Carb Dieting. I am anxious to read the rest of the book. Anyone else read it? Kathy
Old 08-04-2013, 05:51 AM   #113
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
LOL, Ntombi I understand that! And Emel, thanks! Interesting about the Glycosolve! And it sure is not cheap!
I just read a "Sample" of Diet 101, and ordered the paperback- written in an easy to understand format and she explains Blood Sugar and Low Carb Dieting. I am anxious to read the rest of the book. Anyone else read it? Kathy
Kathy, I did try 3 months of Glycosolve and it did lower my fasting b.g.. I have normal b.g. otherwise but was concerned the fasting one was stalling me. It did lower it but had zero effect on my weight loss. It was expensive so I did not reorder it.

Emel has it right. The a1c is a picture of b.g. over time (3 months I think). An elevated f.b.g along with normal b.g through the day should have a normal result.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:51 AM   #114
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Kathy, I did try 3 months of Glycosolve and it did lower my fasting b.g.. I have normal b.g. otherwise but was concerned the fasting one was stalling me. It did lower it but had zero effect on my weight loss. It was expensive so I did not reorder it.

Emel has it right. The a1c is a picture of b.g. over time (3 months I think). An elevated f.b.g along with normal b.g through the day should have a normal result.
Oops sorry Cathy, my fingers got ahead of my brain! Is your fasting BG high, or you BS? Kathy
Old 08-04-2013, 08:25 AM   #115
Chatty Cathy

My fasting (measured at home, first thing after rising). My fasting b.g. taken by the lab later in the morning is normal.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:53 AM   #116
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
My fasting (measured at home, first thing after rising). My fasting b.g. taken by the lab later in the morning is normal.

I need to go back to bed..... GOTCHA! Kathy
Old 08-09-2013, 08:57 AM   #117

Tested my morning plasma ketones on a whim today.

Yesterday I had
4 slices BLT on lettuce leaf w/mayo and a couple bites of chicken salad
3 oz venison on salad with ranch and olive oil
dinner out--- 5 steamed clams w/lemon, about 3 oz flat iron steak with gorgonzola, green salad, 3 cherry tomatoes, and 1 tbl blue cheese dressing.
I had 4 light bourbons with caffeine-free diet pepsi over the course of several hours, and I had a LOT of decaf coffee along w/my normal amount of water.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:56 PM   #118
Blabbermouth!!!

That's great, especially considering the bourbon.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:06 PM   #119
Senior LCF Member

Booze tend to lower my Fasting number. I think it's because the liver is processing the alcohol and not releasing insulin (something like that.)

Kathy, I have the Blood Sugar 101 book (on my Kindle) and it's a good book. I'm slowly collecting all these different books, they are great resources.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:03 PM   #120

Quote:
That's great, especially considering the bourbon.
that was one of the purposes of testing.... wanted to see how my levels were when I had been at my worst eating-wise. This day was weirdly timed foods, the booze and lots of decaf, and unmeasured but reasonable looking restaurant quantities.

Another experiment I wanna do is a reading the morning after using an almond flour or almond butter recipe, with a little artificial sweetener.