Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2013, 06:12 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: chori
Start Date: September 2009
Good morning! New here!

I'm a long term low carber but just off on my own. Now that I'm doing NK, I feel that I really need other like minded folks around me. I've just started and maybe I should post some daily menus- I know I need input. So far no weight loss but I have only about 8 or 10 pounds to lose and just turning 60 really hasn't helped! I know I'll spend a good part of today perusing the NK board and gaining some wisdom. A big thank you to all who post and share their experiences, it is so helpful!
chori is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2013, 07:07 AM   #2
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Chori! I too am a long term low carber and started N.K. a bit over a year ago. There was a definite learning curve but now I love it!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:20 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Weezy
I agree with the learning curve bit--I've been doing it for a year now and continue to learn and tweak.

One thing that has helped me immensely is to track my fasting (a.m.) blood glucose--if it goes up I know I'm eating too much protein. The other thing that helps me is tracking my BLOOD ketones. I use a NovaMax meter and get the strips from a place in Florida. Not cheap, but not as expensive as others, especially if you get them on sale. But I figure what the heck--I don't eat out or buy "treats" anymore so I can use that $ on the ketone test strips.

I started tracking my blood ketones because I learned that Ketostix stop working once your body becomes truly keto adapted. Apparently our bodies become more efficient at using the ketones and so nothing spills into the urine, which means that we can be in ketosis but it won't show up on Ketostix. Some folks in the blogosphere have also tracked both Ketostix and blood ketone levels and found no real correlation between them.
Weezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:36 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Welcome! Since you do not have much to lose, I would just take it easy. Cut out all of your grains and sugar and starchy vegetables. Then just eat until satisfied, and you should be fine. Don't eat too much protein. Maybe about 65 grams a day. You may only lose about a pound a month, but at least you should not gain anything other than water weight. Remember this really has to be a complete change in your diet. In order to keep it off, you cannot go back to eating badly.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote