Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013, 06:18 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
what happens when you have a carb binge after being in ketosis for so long

Has anyone had experience with this? What exactly happens say if you eat 1500cal worth of carbs for a couple of days. I know it will take 3 days to a week to get back in, but are there any bad side effects?
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2013, 09:23 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
I don't know. I hear that people do not feel well when they do that. I for one do not plan to do that. I remember how I felt when I was eating badly.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:24 AM   #3
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I know that eating that many carbs after being in ketosis for so long would make me sick ... probably, violently. Aside from that, I think it may take longer than 3 to a week to re-adapt. This is what I recall Dr. Phinney saying on the J.M. podcast.

My question to you would be, why?
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:51 AM   #4

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
It varies a lot from person to person, and from time to time, based on both physiology and psychology.

The worst thing that happens is that it can start a cycle of this and you start gaining and only "wake up" 9 months later and 75 lb heavier and think, WTH??? some people can get right back to the good stuff and only lose a month or so of progress, others are not so lucky!

there is a psychological distinction between "moderators" and "abstainers." Abstainers do better cold turkey on things they need to avoid. Moderators chafe at that regimentation and prefer to indulge occasionally. Obviously moderators don't make great candidates for NK, so most are abstainers who find indulging the craving can lead to more problems.

Last edited by ravenrose; 06-22-2013 at 07:55 AM..
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:33 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yvonnem2000
Stats: 148.6/151/135
WOE: Atkins Induction + veggies
Start Date: April 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
there is a psychological distinction between "moderators" and "abstainers." Abstainers do better cold turkey on things they need to avoid. Moderators chafe at that regimentation and prefer to indulge occasionally. Obviously moderators don't make great candidates for NK, so most are abstainers who find indulging the craving can lead to more problems.
I've never heard it phrased that way. It's so clear! Thanks for the insight.
Yvonnem2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I lean towards abstaining, so I wouldn't be suprised if I adopt the WOE in the future.
It seems appealingly simple and straightforward. Well maybe not simple, few things are on this forum, but still it appeals.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:22 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: FLFG
Stats: Goal Weight 225
WOE: Keto
Start Date: April 1 2013
You gain 2-5 pounds of water weight. However if used properly (getting right back on Keto) they'll help you break stalls. I've been doing keto since April 1 and I will be doing ONE carb up day in the middle of July ( one carb up day every 115 days)
FLFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Weezy
For me, it all depends on how often I do it. The first time I had gone 11 months with no grains/sugars/starches. I had one incredible dinner and then back on the wagon. Was only out of ketosis for two days.

BUT...I need to be an abstainer....within a few months I was going off every few weeks. Fortunately, I woke up in time and only gained 5 lbs. But it taught me a lesson! Also, the more frequently I ate carbs (whether or not it would be considered a real "binge"), the longer it took each time to get back into ketosis. Not a good thing!

So I've been COMPLETELY abstaining since June 1 and will continue. While I'd like to lose another 10, my body may be happy where it is and I know I need to abstain to maintain. I do NOT want to wake up one morning and have those 90-100 lbs back (the amount all depends on when I measure from--my highest all time weight or when I started HFLC).
Weezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: 4North1Side2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
Has anyone had experience with this? What exactly happens say if you eat 1500cal worth of carbs for a couple of days. I know it will take 3 days to a week to get back in, but are there any bad side effects?
You'll regain water weight that's all. 1500cal worth of carbs ain't nothing over a span of a couple days. The bad side effects is that you'll feel awfully sick switching from burning fats for energy to burning sugar for energy if your not used to it.

I just restarted my keto diet last month after being out of it for over a year, I lost 11lbs thus far and I have crazy cheat days where I gorge myself with carbs 2-3 days per week. I must add I workout vigorously 6 days a week.
4North1Side2 is offline   Reply With Quote