Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013, 05:09 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Littlewing76
Stats: 150/150/130
WOE: moderate carb
Start Date: 6/21/2013
Food Substitutions

Hi. I'm very new to the ketogenic diet and am having a difficult time finding subs for dishes I make. Last night I made a coconut chicken curry dish and served it over kale. I spiked up the fat buy frying the chicken thighs in coconut oil, which was good. I just found that Kale has a good amount of carbs. Also a 8oz can on tomato sauce and tomatoes were in the curry and they also have carbs. Just don't know how to make dishes and keep them low carb... Any suggestions? Thanks.
Littlewing76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2013, 08:21 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
You could delete the tomatoes . . . would still taste fine, imo.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:48 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lrrych
Stats: 198/160/160 6'0"
WOE: Ketogenic/Traditional-organic,raw and pastured
Start Date: May 2013
Hi Littlewing..try this. After frying up the chicken in coconut oil, you'll have a mix of the oil along with rendered chicken fat remaining in your sautee pan. As you know, the quality of the fat you eat is crucial, so make sure the chicken is preferably organic but free range -antibiotic free is ok too. After removing the chicken caramelize some onion in the fat then add your curry powder or paste (if you're doing Thai curry) and let it become fragrant. At this point you can add either half a cup stock or 2 T vinegar or 1/4 C. citrus juice to the pan..let it reduce a little then add 1/3- 1/2 C heavy cream or coconut milk. Reduce a little more and finish with a tab of butter. If using chicken thighs with skin on...you'll be looking at something close to 81% fat/13.5% protein/5.5%carb/ 624 calories if using cream....75%fat/14.5% protein/10.5%carb/594 calories if using coconut milk.

Last edited by lrrych; 06-22-2013 at 05:50 AM.. Reason: typos
lrrych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:29 AM   #4
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Here is the recipe I use for chicken coconut curry. The coconut is key in that it ups the fat content AND the taste ... truly a fabulous recipe ... wish I could give credit to the LCF that shared it but I can't remember who it was....

Coconut Curry Chicken
This is a simple skillet meal. You can use any Thai seasoning or curry you like. There are jars of Thai curry paste on the market of various types, or you can use a powdered mixture. My favorite powder for this dish are Penzeys* Sate Seasoning mix, which is really yummy.
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Ingredients:
1 lb. skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut in bite-sized pieces
1/2 medium onion (optional, but I like it), chopped
1 medium red Bell pepper, chopped
12 oz. fresh or frozen green beans
1 can coconut milk
Thai spices as described above to taste
Preparation:

1) Heat some oil in the pan -- olive, coconut, peanut, or high-oleic safflower oil all work well. Amount depends upon size of pan; you want a thin coating on the bottom.
2) Chop onion, and add.
3) Chop pepper and add. Stir. Cook until onion is getting soft, if it isn't already.
4) While that is cooking, chop the chicken.
5) Add the spices (including the salt). The amount will depend upon the spice. For example, with Penzey's Sate' Seasoning, I use about 4 t, but for a hot paste, more like 2 t. It just depends upon how spicy the blend is and how spicy you like your food. Stir until the you start to smell the spices.
6) Add the chicken. Stir until almost cooked through.
7) Add the coconut milk. (Note: this makes a fairly soupy curry. If you want it thicker, just add maybe 2/3 of the can.) Bring it to a boil, and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes.

Serving Suggestion: Serve over Cauliflower Rice. I use shirataki rice for even less carbs or nothing.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlewing76 View Post
Hi. I'm very new to the ketogenic diet and am having a difficult time finding subs for dishes I make. Last night I made a coconut chicken curry dish and served it over kale. I spiked up the fat buy frying the chicken thighs in coconut oil, which was good. I just found that Kale has a good amount of carbs. Also a 8oz can on tomato sauce and tomatoes were in the curry and they also have carbs. Just don't know how to make dishes and keep them low carb... Any suggestions? Thanks.

I do not use tomato sauces for low carb eating. If you want a sauce try, sour cream or heavy cream. Also you can top your food with cheese. I only eat small portions of vegetables. I am very carb sensitive. Though there are others who do not have any problems with green vegetables at all.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:25 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: evas
Stats: 255/215/155
WOE: Mostly Primal + IF
I had a tough time with substitutions too so I basically gave up trying to make substitutions at all. They never really live up to the real thing and there are just some things that there isn't a suitable substitution for, IMHO!

I also made a coconut chicken curry recently but I ate it right out of a bowl without putting it over the top of anything. I added in a lot of veggies with the chicken (onion, bell pepper, green beans and broccoli) so it was almost like a curry "soup." Delicious!

Last edited by evas; 06-25-2013 at 01:26 PM..
evas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:40 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
Subbing for that recipe
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote