Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   Food Substitutions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/806604-food-substitutions.html)

Littlewing76 06-21-2013 04:09 PM

Food Substitutions

Hi. I'm very new to the ketogenic diet and am having a difficult time finding subs for dishes I make. Last night I made a coconut chicken curry dish and served it over kale. I spiked up the fat buy frying the chicken thighs in coconut oil, which was good. I just found that Kale has a good amount of carbs. Also a 8oz can on tomato sauce and tomatoes were in the curry and they also have carbs. Just don't know how to make dishes and keep them low carb... Any suggestions? Thanks.

Patience 06-21-2013 07:21 PM

You could delete the tomatoes . . . would still taste fine, imo.

lrrych 06-22-2013 04:48 AM

Hi Littlewing..try this. After frying up the chicken in coconut oil, you'll have a mix of the oil along with rendered chicken fat remaining in your sautee pan. As you know, the quality of the fat you eat is crucial, so make sure the chicken is preferably organic but free range -antibiotic free is ok too. After removing the chicken caramelize some onion in the fat then add your curry powder or paste (if you're doing Thai curry) and let it become fragrant. At this point you can add either half a cup stock or 2 T vinegar or 1/4 C. citrus juice to the pan..let it reduce a little then add 1/3- 1/2 C heavy cream or coconut milk. Reduce a little more and finish with a tab of butter. If using chicken thighs with skin on...you'll be looking at something close to 81% fat/13.5% protein/5.5%carb/ 624 calories if using cream....75%fat/14.5% protein/10.5%carb/594 calories if using coconut milk.

clackley 06-22-2013 07:29 AM

Here is the recipe I use for chicken coconut curry. The coconut is key in that it ups the fat content AND the taste ... truly a fabulous recipe ... wish I could give credit to the LCF that shared it but I can't remember who it was....

Coconut Curry Chicken
This is a simple skillet meal. You can use any Thai seasoning or curry you like. There are jars of Thai curry paste on the market of various types, or you can use a powdered mixture. My favorite powder for this dish are Penzeys* Sate Seasoning mix, which is really yummy.
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Ingredients:
1 lb. skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut in bite-sized pieces
1/2 medium onion (optional, but I like it), chopped
1 medium red Bell pepper, chopped
12 oz. fresh or frozen green beans
1 can coconut milk
Thai spices as described above to taste
Preparation:

1) Heat some oil in the pan -- olive, coconut, peanut, or high-oleic safflower oil all work well. Amount depends upon size of pan; you want a thin coating on the bottom.
2) Chop onion, and add.
3) Chop pepper and add. Stir. Cook until onion is getting soft, if it isn't already.
4) While that is cooking, chop the chicken.
5) Add the spices (including the salt). The amount will depend upon the spice. For example, with Penzey's Sate' Seasoning, I use about 4 t, but for a hot paste, more like 2 t. It just depends upon how spicy the blend is and how spicy you like your food. Stir until the you start to smell the spices.
6) Add the chicken. Stir until almost cooked through.
7) Add the coconut milk. (Note: this makes a fairly soupy curry. If you want it thicker, just add maybe 2/3 of the can.) Bring it to a boil, and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes.

Serving Suggestion: Serve over Cauliflower Rice. I use shirataki rice for even less carbs or nothing.

lovetoknit 06-24-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Littlewing76 (Post 16481431)
Hi. I'm very new to the ketogenic diet and am having a difficult time finding subs for dishes I make. Last night I made a coconut chicken curry dish and served it over kale. I spiked up the fat buy frying the chicken thighs in coconut oil, which was good. I just found that Kale has a good amount of carbs. Also a 8oz can on tomato sauce and tomatoes were in the curry and they also have carbs. Just don't know how to make dishes and keep them low carb... Any suggestions? Thanks.

I do not use tomato sauces for low carb eating. If you want a sauce try, sour cream or heavy cream. Also you can top your food with cheese. I only eat small portions of vegetables. I am very carb sensitive. Though there are others who do not have any problems with green vegetables at all.
Carolyn

evas 06-25-2013 12:25 PM

I had a tough time with substitutions too so I basically gave up trying to make substitutions at all. They never really live up to the real thing and there are just some things that there isn't a suitable substitution for, IMHO!

I also made a coconut chicken curry recently but I ate it right out of a bowl without putting it over the top of anything. I added in a lot of veggies with the chicken (onion, bell pepper, green beans and broccoli) so it was almost like a curry "soup." Delicious!

cfine 06-30-2013 05:40 AM

Subbing for that recipe