Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   Everything is better in ketosis!! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/806403-everything-better-ketosis.html)

clackley 06-19-2013 07:21 AM

Everything is better in ketosis!!

I know that I am singing to the choir here but I thought it might be fun and interesting to put together a list of 'science' facts about the benefits of ketosis aside from weight loss. I hope others will want to 'play'.:):)

Cancer:

PLOS ONE: The Ketogenic Diet and Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy Prolong Survival in Mice with Systemic Metastatic Cancer

Spanilingo 06-19-2013 08:43 AM

Migraine control and Ketosis . The links I have sell products so can't link but I am sticking to ketogenic diet with high fat percentage as a way to control migraines. The Johns Hopkins ketogenic diet has been used (or hflc) for many years ( early 20th century) to control seizures. There are many related triggers between migraines and seizures. In fact several medications to control seizures are used to treat migraineS. Several of the medications I had been on directly said NOT to eat a ketogenic diet if tAking the medication. I am not taking meds anymore but trying NK . The medication -topomax-
also creates a anorexic state which is why it is now being prescribed to treat obesity. im trying to mimic the effects of topomax while eating pure nutrition.

While it does not prevent all migraines, my migraine medications actually work now! And can detect when one will occur.
I just wish Ketosis didn't cause hair loss for me. Always happens but it also would happen if I took the meds!

clackley 06-19-2013 10:13 AM

Very interesting! I remember a very successful low carb friend who was also an epileptic and she said she had to go out of ketosis because of her new meds. I always thought that was a bit weird as ketosis is a treatment for epilepsy.

I guess the real issue is how ketones effect neural pathways.

lovetoknit 06-19-2013 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spanilingo (Post 16477182)
Migraine control and Ketosis . The links I have sell products so can't link but I am sticking to ketogenic diet with high fat percentage as a way to control migraines. The Johns Hopkins ketogenic diet has been used (or hflc) for many years ( early 20th century) to control seizures. There are many related triggers between migraines and seizures. In fact several medications to control seizures are used to treat migraineS. Several of the medications I had been on directly said NOT to eat a ketogenic diet if tAking the medication. I am not taking meds anymore but trying NK . The medication -topomax-
also creates a anorexic state which is why it is now being prescribed to treat obesity. im trying to mimic the effects of topomax while eating pure nutrition.

While it does not prevent all migraines, my migraine medications actually work now! And can detect when one will occur.
I just wish Ketosis didn't cause hair loss for me. Always happens but it also would happen if I took the meds!

If you add more fat to your diet, maybe you will not get hair loss.
Carolyn

Margarita :) 06-20-2013 08:04 AM

Another possible benefit: Deeper and more high-quality sleep

The past two days I've jumped out of bed at 6 AM, instead of dragging myself out of bed. I'm not going to bed earlier, so I belive it has to do with the quality of my sleep. I just started the NK woe 6 days ago, so this phenomena seems to correlate with entering ketosis. I confirmed this morning that I'm in ketosis with a keto blood test of 1.6.

Spanilingo 06-20-2013 08:05 AM

Certain anti seizure meds cause metabolic acidosis which cause soft and brittle bones. When on topomax , one needs to get tested for this when on the medication. nit exactly sure how ketosis effects it but my doc Is pretty knowledgable
about ketogenic diets so Im not taking the meds at this time. and
Also , when on a hflc diet such as Johns Hopkins fir children , it can interfere with growth also which is why children need to be carefully monitored when on that diet which is pretty much very high fat low carb (not sure the percentages )

Don't know why hair loss happens whenever I go ketogenic ( I think the issue is protein ) but so many other benefits happen that I'm willing to trade for now at least.

lovetoknit 06-21-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margarita :) (Post 16478860)

The past two days I've jumped out of bed at 6 AM, instead of dragging myself out of bed. I'm not going to bed earlier, so I belive it has to do with the quality of my sleep. I just started the NK woe 6 days ago, so this phenomena seems to correlate with entering ketosis. I confirmed this morning that I'm in ketosis with a keto blood test of 1.6.

I used to have insomnia. Now it has gone away. I now go to bed at 9 pm and get up at 5 am with my husband. Before I could not sleep until 3 am in the morning. I was always tired.
Carolyn

clackley 06-24-2013 09:56 AM

Dr. Emily Deans is a psychiatrist who has a practice and also writes for Psychology Today and has a really interesting article on ketones and the brain entitled 'your brain on ketones' (easily found on the internet).

From my own personal experience, I was diagnosed with clinical depression the first time in my mid twenties and battled it with talk therapy and drugs on and off up till I started a ketogenic woe and guess what? No depression in all the time I have been ketogenic! This, beyond any other benefit, is reason enough to eat the way I do, indefinitely and forever more!!

Anyone else experience relief from 'mental health issues'?

lovetoknit 06-24-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clackley (Post 16484710)
Dr. Emily Deans is a psychiatrist who has a practice and also writes for Psychology Today and has a really interesting article on ketones and the brain entitled 'your brain on ketones' (easily found on the internet).

From my own personal experience, I was diagnosed with clinical depression the first time in my mid twenties and battled it with talk therapy and drugs on and off up till I started a ketogenic woe and guess what? No depression in all the time I have been ketogenic! This, beyond any other benefit, is reason enough to eat the way I do, indefinitely and forever more!!

Anyone else experience relief from 'mental health issues'?

I am definitely more positive mentally. I also lost the brain fog that I was constantly in. I feel so much better.
Carolyn

clackley 06-25-2013 08:01 AM

I found a big difference too from the mental fog. It was really clear in the initial phases but even now (almost 4 yrs. later), I am sometimes surprised with my ability to concentrate on tasks.

clackley 06-25-2013 12:08 PM

Another one that I was surprised to hear but made total sense is oral health. Of course the lack of sugar is of benefit but to be in ketosis means to no only not have gunk building up on teeth and below gums. It also me re-calcification for some. I personally experienced this.

I had a tooth that was getting progressively looser and a bit painful. I realized about 6 months in to ketosis, the tooth was no longer loose at all!

I also heard a dentist claim that tooth decay was one of the earliest harbingers of metabolic disease. Seems like an accurate statement to me.

4North1Side2 06-25-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margarita :) (Post 16478860)

I can certainly attest this! I find that I sleep less now but have an abundance of energy when I wake up. Before keto I was sleeping 10-12 hours a day and still felt tired during the day, now I'm sleeping 5-8 hours waking up feeling revigerated.

Punkin 06-28-2013 02:56 PM

I've recently made a decision to come out of ketosis. It is going to be a slow process. Just basically putting everything in reverse. I'm not really afraid of my choice because I feel like for a change I am in control. Not my metabolism. In my case, it is most likely better for my health.

clackley 06-30-2013 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Punkin (Post 16491736)
I've recently made a decision to come out of ketosis. It is going to be a slow process. Just basically putting everything in reverse. I'm not really afraid of my choice because I feel like for a change I am in control. Not my metabolism. In my case, it is most likely better for my health.

I wish you the very best Punkin. I know you have some unique struggles and hope you are able to get to a place that is comfortable and workable for you. :console:

clackley 06-30-2013 08:16 AM

There is a ton of really good research that shows that a ketogenic woe improves a person's lipid panel. Hdl goes up, triglycerides go down and ldl improves after weight loss is completed and sometimes before.

I personally have experienced this. I was considered to have 'high cholesterol' and was on a statin for about 5 yrs. and after about 6 months of a ketogenic woe, came off the statin. Now, 3 yrs. after that, my doctor describes my #'s as fantastic!

Auntie Em 07-01-2013 02:25 PM

Cathy, I am definitely calmer and cheerier eating VLC, mod PRO, and high fat. I find I have a kind of mental poise that just appeared when I started this WOE. Just keeping the carbs at ca. 35g/d was the key factor. Adding more fats is a plus, and not eating too much meat at once, or in one day, helps me, too.

I get migraines, both headaches, and optical migraines, so keeping the smaller protein amounts with super-high fat, and keeping the carbs very low has been a tremendous help. I don't have links handy, but when I read that migraines were caused by the same thing as epileptic seizures, I read about the keto diets with fat at three to four times the amount of CHO and PRO combined together. That was a vote in favor of the Kwasniewski ratios, for me.

There have been posts here at LCF over the years about too much meat making some folks feel agitated, irritable, uneasy, etc. What Dr. Wilder found in the 1920s with the high fat keto diet for epileptics might be a big help for brain function, in general. The increase in GABA, to name one thing.

Great thread idea! :)

Hummingbird 07-03-2013 12:01 AM

Today was Day #1 of my goal of 30 grams of carbs or less per day. My total was exactly 30 grams of carbs today. Going to try for even less carbs tomorrow. I went to the gym and got in the sauna for a little over an hour.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get in ketosis if you have access to a gym and sauna? Can the sauna help you get in ketosis faster?

clackley 07-07-2013 02:12 PM

Okay, today is rainy and dark and I am avoiding vacuuming by reading on my favorite subject which is ketosis. So here is another very big thing that is better when in ketosis and that is keeping your brain. I am quoting just the last paragraph from Dr. Emily Deans' blog of the name 'Evolutionary Psychiatry' and the title of the entry is
Quote:

Alzheimer's, Mild Cognitive Impairment, and Ketosis
It is not very long and well worth the time!

Quote:

Avoid the neolithic dietary agents of disease (I count them as many paleo types do as wheat, fructose, and vegetable oils), not to mention other novel fake foods we were never designed to eat, just to be safe. Ratchet down the carbs if you have love handles or metabolic syndrome. Dabble with ketosis by intermittent fasting, coconut oil, very low carb, or all three depending on your own personal brain status. There's plenty left to eat that is gorgeous and yummy. And you get to keep your brain.
And you get to keep your brain!!:D

Now back to those mundane tasks!!:sad:

clackley 07-10-2013 07:21 AM

I see that the subject of the brain on ketones is going to be on the new, upcoming J.M.'s Ask the L/C Experts. Questions on the subject are being vetted.

Auntie Em 07-10-2013 02:40 PM

Cathy, thanks for the reports. :) Here's to VLC and happy brains!

clackley 07-11-2013 07:43 AM

Agreed!!!

I was wondering if anyone has had any positive changes to things like skin, hair or even nails?

lovetoknit 07-11-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clackley (Post 16509783)
Agreed!!!

I was wondering if anyone has had any positive changes to things like skin, hair or even nails?

My skin is definitely softer. I also had some psoriasis on my forehead and back that went away. I do not have dandruff any more also. My nails are much harder which does make them harder to trim. :) I don't like long nails.
Carolyn

clackley 07-11-2013 11:49 AM

I have had some pretty amazing changes over time as well. For instance, my rough elbows are a thing of the past. I don't put anything on them and they are soft and smooth. My feet have improved as well and that is both nails and calluses.

clackley 07-13-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clackley (Post 16507865)
I see that the subject of the brain on ketones is going to be on the new, upcoming J.M.'s Ask the L/C Experts. Questions on the subject are being vetted.

Wow, and now I hear that there is some very good evidence that ketones actually make one smarter!!! :)

Patience 07-13-2013 11:18 AM

Can't wait for smarter to kick in. :lol:

clackley 07-13-2013 12:03 PM

As they like to say so often, "your mileage may vary"! :lol:

cfine 07-13-2013 05:53 PM

While reading this thread, it has just occurred to me that my nails are much better looking now.

clackley 07-15-2013 12:05 PM

I find it slightly annoying that I have to cut my nails more frequently than I use to.

Another totally obvious advantage of ketosis is the ability to go without food for long periods of time without feeling desperate. Very unlike the days of carb eating and feeling like I would chew off my arm, I was so hungry. Gotta love accessing those body fat stores!!

Auntie Em 07-15-2013 01:06 PM

Yes, to the improvement in skin, hair, and nails. And muscle tone.

I love VLC, mod protein, and high fat! :) This month makes three years for me on this food plan. It is so nice to have science to lean on, rather than my previous plan of "skip the sweets, the grains, and the starches; avoid processed foods, additives/preservatives; and eat less". That was a good beginning, but making choices for particular food groups, and knowing something of why to choose what, and how much is a wondrous thing, (rather than the previous plan which was based on "avoiding this, avoiding that").

cfine 07-15-2013 01:10 PM

I am hoping to STAY in NK at this point. It is because of people like you, Clackley and Auntie Em, that I am so determined. You never know who is listening to your stories. Thank you for being here and sharing.

I don't know about being any smarter, but I do notice that my brain functions so much better being in ketosis. My husband has even commented on how much better my speech is. I used to have to do a lot of word searching while speaking when on a SAD diet.