Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2013, 12:17 PM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Cfine, , thanks for your kind thoughts. I, too, find my brain works better in ketosis, and that my speech is better. I also take a pinch of L-Carnitine, and Acetyl-L-Carnitine in the mornings to improve brain function. When I forget those supplements, I really notice that I don't feel as awake, and clear-thinking.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2013, 02:25 PM   #32
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Thanks Cfine for being so nice!

I noticed that my brain fog is gone .... mostly. I still get some if I have been getting poor sleep or a lot of stress. My ability to concentrate has improved immensely. This helps in so many areas, I can't begin to tell you.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:57 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Cathy, I agree, VLC, constant protein amounts, and high fat is the greatest thing for mental poise, and for so many other things. And it's so easy!

Old 07-19-2013, 08:49 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Anjikun
Hi all,

I listened to the JM podcast on the cognitive benefits of ketosis--very inspiring!

I was on here awhile back (last October) but decided to abandon my attempt to get into ketosis due to some heart palpitations (I was not sure they were do to the low-carb, because other things were going on, but I realized it was not a good time to put my body through the stress of keto-adaptation).

Now I've decided to try again. My main goal is actually better cognitive functioning, not weight loss. If anyone else is doing ketosis for cognitive benefits rather than weight loss, I would love to hear from you!
Anjikun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:45 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, Anjikun, . My primary reason for my food plan is to feel well and happy.

I read Dr. Richard Bernstein's, The Diabetes Solution, and decided to follow his plan of the Law of Small Numbers, which helped me a great deal. Keeping the amount of carbs and of protein constant, from breakfast to breakfast, lunch to lunch, supper to supper, day after day helps.

I do very well with ca. 25 - 33 g/CHO/d and 50 - 70 g/PRO/d, and the fat for happy brain and well-being has a broader range for me, ca. 120 - 170 g/d. If I go too low on the fat I don't feel as well, and if I go too high I get a different group of unpleasant symptoms of not feeling as well, along with weight gain. Some days I can "get away with" going too high or too low on something, and other days it really affects me, depending on current stress factors.

Keeping my food plan constant seems to hinge on my rest, sleep, exercise, supplements, prayer/meditation, sunshine, hormone fluctuations, life stresses, etc. Tending as many factors as nourishingly as I can is key for me.

I wish you happy ketosis.

Best wishes for happy, healthy LCing.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 07-19-2013 at 09:48 AM.. Reason: clarification
Old 07-19-2013, 10:48 AM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Quote:
I do very well with ca. 25 - 33 g/CHO/d and 50 - 70 g/PRO/d, and the fat for happy brain and well-being has a broader range for me, ca. 120 - 170 g/d.
What does CHO stand for? ca? d is day? g is grams?
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:31 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjikun View Post
Hi all,

I listened to the JM podcast on the cognitive benefits of ketosis--very inspiring!

I was on here awhile back (last October) but decided to abandon my attempt to get into ketosis due to some heart palpitations (I was not sure they were do to the low-carb, because other things were going on, but I realized it was not a good time to put my body through the stress of keto-adaptation).

Now I've decided to try again. My main goal is actually better cognitive functioning, not weight loss. If anyone else is doing ketosis for cognitive benefits rather than weight loss, I would love to hear from you!

If you have heart palpitations with LCHF, you should reduce your protein and add more salt to your diet. I think one of the biggest mistakes that people do on this WOE is to eat too much protein. Too much for your body can actually make you feel ill.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:31 AM   #38
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kaczus
Stats: 273/236/220
WOE: General LCHF
Start Date: April 2009
Since I started I have not been sick even once. At least not noticeably. The only time I had to take a day off from work was when I drank way too much. Still it was just a little hangover and a runny nose, all of which went away next day. I'm not trying to encourage drinking here, I'm just saying that my body on HFLC is much more resistant to all kinds of sickness and that alcohol can undo that resistance in a day or so.
I also had huge acne problems up until taking the plunge into this WOE and it's mostly gone now.
kaczus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:47 AM   #39
Chatty Cathy

Kaczus, that is wonderful news! How long have you been ketogenic?

I agree that illness seems to not happen ... particularly colds. I have been ill a few times (over almost 4 yrs.) but it seems almost certainly to be something I ate and lasted less than 24 hours on each occasion. I have had 1 cold in that time.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:02 AM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
I do very well with ca. 25 - 33 g/CHO/d and 50 - 70 g/PRO/d, and the fat for happy brain and well-being has a broader range for me, ca. 120 - 170 g/d.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
What does CHO stand for? ca? d is day? g is grams?
Translation:

"I do very well with approximately 25-30 grams of carbohydrate per day and 50-70 grams protein per day, and the fat for happy brain and well-being has a broader range for me, approximately 120-170 grams per day.

ca. = circa, Latin for "approximately"

CHO = carbohydrate, fairly common scientific abbreviation as those are the three types of atoms that are found in carbohydrates (carbon, hydrogen, oxygen) in a specific ratio (1 carbon to 2 hydrogens to 1 oxygen is the ratio found in any carbohydrate).

Last edited by Mistizoom; 07-26-2013 at 06:09 AM..
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:35 AM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Thanks, I appreciate the tutorial.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:25 AM   #42
Chatty Cathy

Just read an interesting thing on FB (JM linked it).

Quote:
glucoCEST University College London Tumors MRI glucose
UCL scientists have developed a new technique for detecting the uptake of sugar in tumors, using magnetic resonance imaging.
July 10, 2013 — A new technique for detecting cancer by imaging the consumption of sugar with magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) has been unveiled by University College London (UCL) scientists. The breakthrough could provide a safer and simpler alternative to standard radioactive techniques and enable radiologists to image tumors in greater detail.

The new technique, called glucose chemical exchange saturation transfer (glucoCEST), is based on the fact that tumors consume much more glucose (a type of sugar) than normal, healthy tissues in order to sustain their growth.

The researchers found that sensitizing an MRI scanner to glucose uptake caused tumors to appear as bright images on MRI scans of mice.
IDK, maybe I a missing something but it seems rather obvious that glucose is a problem and taking dietary steps to limit it might be a quick and easy solution. Score another one for ketosis!!
Old 08-05-2013, 12:29 PM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Cathy, I'm glad the MRI scanners are catching on.

Yep, VLC and high fat is great!
Old 08-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
I've found the ketogenic diet improved my arthritis, and allows me to exercise without hitting a wall. It takes a while to get to that point - longer than simply getting into ketosis - but once I'm there I can walk or ride my bike for hours without bonking out.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:07 AM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Selahgal
Stats: 243/240.5/140
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: 8/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Another one that I was surprised to hear but made total sense is oral health. Of course the lack of sugar is of benefit but to be in ketosis means to no only not have gunk building up on teeth and below gums. It also me re-calcification for some. I personally experienced this.

I had a tooth that was getting progressively looser and a bit painful. I realized about 6 months in to ketosis, the tooth was no longer loose at all!

I also heard a dentist claim that tooth decay was one of the earliest harbingers of metabolic disease. Seems like an accurate statement to me.
AWESOME TO KNOW!!!!
Selahgal is offline   Reply With Quote