Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 01:05 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sarahnya
Muscle Still Aching After Excercise

Hi people. I've been on a low carb diet (upto 20g per day) fir 3 weeks now. I got past the initial week where I felt bloody awful for 3-4 days and I'm feeling a lot better now but I'm still not "right"

Day to day I feel okay in myself and can concentrate but my muscles feel sluggish and still. I regularly go to exercise classes such as body pump, zumba etc but I find when exercising I simply can't do as much as I used to be able to. My muscles get hot and I sweat loads like I was really out of shape, its such an effort I'm not enjoying it anymore.

Now I've recently read the Science of Low Carb Performance and they do stress it can take up to 6 weeks to fully adapt but I'm just worrying I'll be one of those people who never can tolerate it. How long did you guys take to adapt?

My current diet looks like this:

3 egg omelette with mushrooms and 1 slice of bacon
1 bullion cube
meat stir fry with mixed veg
portion of meat and mixed veg
If I need to snack I have a small piece of cheese or some pork rinds and everything is cooked in butter. I take a multi vit, 200g coq10, a potassium and magnesium tablet every morning.
sarahnya is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2013, 01:12 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Kinda forgot to say my goal is to lose weight while maintaining low blood sugars for health reasons, I have around 3 stone left to lose (already lost 7 1/2 stone on a moderate carb, low calorie intake). I know I'm producing ketones because my sticks are going a couple of shades darker, I know this isn't that accurate though so I've ordered a blood test meter.

I would also like to add my partner has also starting eating this diet because he is diabetic type 2 and has had a hell of a lot of success with it in bringing down his blood sugar and no longer has to take metformin. In contrast to me he says he feels better than he has in a long time and didn't suffer with any form of low carb "flu", even in the fist week. Nor does he take any supplements or extra salt in the form of bullion's so I'm quite puzzled!
Old 06-18-2013, 03:08 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
It sounds like you are not fully keto adapted yet. The muscles are not "looking" for the fatty acids yet and still need the glycogen/glucose. Give it some time. It took me 2 months to get blood ketones in the correct range.

I have never had any low carb flu symptoms either. It still took me a long time to get into NK. All bodies are different.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:20 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Thanks, I really hope I can adjust to it. Do you find you are able to excercise at normal levels now ?
Old 06-19-2013, 08:18 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Yes. Thankfully I was adapted before softball season started so practices were not a problem and now games in a fasted state are great.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:35 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: FLFG
Stats: Goal Weight 225
WOE: Keto
Start Date: April 1 2013
I would suggest making sure you are getting enough potassium/magnesium. It sure helps me with my muscle aches.
FLFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:38 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLFG View Post
I would suggest making sure you are getting enough potassium/magnesium. It sure helps me with my muscle aches.

I Would have though I'm getting enough with the supplements I'm taking. How much of them do you take?
Old 06-21-2013, 08:31 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahnya View Post
Hi people. I've been on a low carb diet (upto 20g per day) fir 3 weeks now. I got past the initial week where I felt bloody awful for 3-4 days and I'm feeling a lot better now but I'm still not "right"

Day to day I feel okay in myself and can concentrate but my muscles feel sluggish and still. I regularly go to exercise classes such as body pump, zumba etc but I find when exercising I simply can't do as much as I used to be able to. My muscles get hot and I sweat loads like I was really out of shape, its such an effort I'm not enjoying it anymore.

Now I've recently read the Science of Low Carb Performance and they do stress it can take up to 6 weeks to fully adapt but I'm just worrying I'll be one of those people who never can tolerate it. How long did you guys take to adapt?

My current diet looks like this:

3 egg omelette with mushrooms and 1 slice of bacon
1 bullion cube
meat stir fry with mixed veg
portion of meat and mixed veg
If I need to snack I have a small piece of cheese or some pork rinds and everything is cooked in butter. I take a multi vit, 200g coq10, a potassium and magnesium tablet every morning.

You probably need more salt. Try adding a pinch of salt to every cup of water that you drink.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:30 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Cheers, I'll see if it makes a difference but I suspect from reading the Art of Carbohydrate performance by body is not adapting well more than it being a salt issue.

I'm still suffering when I try to exercise, my muscles just feel stiffer than usual and get really hot when I work out but I'm going to stick with it for at least a couple of months solid before I make a decision if it's worth it or not.

Anyway enough whinging, I received my blood ketone meter today and tested it at 18.00, my level was 0.9 which I think is a bit low for this time of day. My boyfriends was 0.6 when he first got up. What would you say is the optimum level for NK? Also if my body is not utalising the ketones available, wouldn't that make them higher anyway?