Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2013, 07:01 AM   #31
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: emmapal
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoknit View Post
One way to add fat without too much cream and cheese is to add butter to everything. Also you can eat more egg yoke and not as much egg white. Eat the fat of the meat. It really is very good if it is cooked well.
What do you mean by "fat of the meat" if it is "cooked well?" Can you share some examples? I can stand chicken skin if it is fried or rotisserie, but haven't been able to tolerate it if cooked at home, roasted, grilled, I just can't figure it out (too thick).

I've been smoking brisket for years, but always throw away the fat. It is not marbled well, and not chewable. What would you do with it instead? Do you just mean rendered and used elsewhere?

I always retain my drippings to use for cooking, especially bacon.

My daughter was making fun of boys who would eat the fat scraps other kids had cut off their meat, and everyone at the table was "grossing out" while they grinned and chewed it up. And up. And up. I wonder if they were ever able to swallow it!
emmapal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2013, 08:09 AM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
If you are buying grass fed beef, it is usually not "finished beef". The fat is mostly connective tissue and not as good and succulent as finished beef, so I can understand why you dont think it is as good as other people say.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:18 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Not sure if you have a freezer, but you can save the fat and turn it into suet for the birds.
Not sure about seasonings, though, birds might not do well on that.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:32 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avicenna
Stats: 215/190's/somewhere in the 170's
WOE: Paleo/primal 80/20
Start Date: July 2011 (JUDDD in February 2012)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmapal View Post
My daughter is in tears because she didn't lose any weight this past month or two, and her youth retreat (1,000 kids and lots of boys) is next week. She is saying all the same things I say.
Do you think you guys might have some sort of medical issue, such as a thyroid problem, that runs in the family, if you are having the same experiences?
Avicenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:08 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Weezy
Quote:
I believe if you stay away from all sugar and starches, you will help prevent cancer in your body. Cancer feeds on sugar and starch.
Carolyn
You said a mouthful there, Carolyn! After being diagnosed with breast cancer last year, I started doing a ton of reading (mostly actual studies from PubMed--I have full access) and found out that even in a lab, when they're doing studies on cancer cells, they feed the cancers with glucose and use the glucose to get other substances into the cells! Yikes!

No wonder I ended up with cancer after a lifetime of high carb/low fat and becoming T2.

Funny though...when I was talking to some of my cancer docs and told them how I was eating and that I thought it would help me avoid any recurrence, they all poo-pooed it saying that what one eats has nothing to do with cancer. Instead, they wanted me to do a 5 year course of very strong drugs to wipe out ALL hormones in my body; I said no because the side effects were horrible and I figure my WOE is better protection than messing more with my already messed up hormones. Another yikes!

Fortunately, I had started my lifetime WOE 6 months before diagnosis, and knowing what I know now, it makes it easier to keep avoiding the sugars and carbs.
Weezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:15 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Weezy
Quote:

My mom was BRCA positive and died of ovarian cancer, one sister is positive, so while I tested negative for BRCA (hey, personalized blood work health care!) I am living like I am positive just short of prophylactic surgery (which my mom made me promise to do years ago, but I don't think I can now). That in part means trying to keep my estrogen low: no HRT, no birth control, no natural yams or soy, etc. I am even switching to all raw dairy and pastured animal products to further limit any endocrine disruptors introduced by modern conventional agriculture. I know that this makes it harder for me to stay slim as I age.
My sympathies to you on the loss of your beloved mom. She must have been a great mom to be remembered with such love.

You're smart that you're figuring all of this out while you're young; chances are by cleaning up your diet now you can avoid problems later.

Keep the good saturated fat high and the carbs low and you'll probably be able to slowly lose and/or maintain your healthy weight as you age. Who know that fat was SOOOOOO incredibly important??? The more I read and learn, the more amazed I am about the damage we've done by doing low fat/high carb eating. I wish I knew what I know now when I was your age!
Weezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:17 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: iamkathy01
Stats: 147/125.5/???
WOE: Was Low Carb/Now NK
Start Date: In the 90's!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezy View Post
You said a mouthful there, Carolyn! After being diagnosed with breast cancer last year, I started doing a ton of reading (mostly actual studies from PubMed--I have full access) and found out that even in a lab, when they're doing studies on cancer cells, they feed the cancers with glucose and use the glucose to get other substances into the cells! Yikes!

No wonder I ended up with cancer after a lifetime of high carb/low fat and becoming T2.

Funny though...when I was talking to some of my cancer docs and told them how I was eating and that I thought it would help me avoid any recurrence, they all poo-pooed it saying that what one eats has nothing to do with cancer. Instead, they wanted me to do a 5 year course of very strong drugs to wipe out ALL hormones in my body; I said no because the side effects were horrible and I figure my WOE is better protection than messing more with my already messed up hormones. Another yikes!

Fortunately, I had started my lifetime WOE 6 months before diagnosis, and knowing what I know now, it makes it easier to keep avoiding the sugars and carbs.
Wow Weezy, you ROCK!! This makes me so angry tho that the doctors don't tell women to stop the sugar and flour and just push the drugs! Kathy
iamkathy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:43 AM   #38
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:

Do you tell other people you know about this? I mean people in your real life?

I like to use the P.E.T. scan as an example for people who doubt the glucose/cancer connection.

Quote:
Before a PET/CT scan, the patient receives an intravenous injection of radioactive glucose. Many cancer cells are highly metabolic and rapidly synthesize the radioactive glucose.
Glucose to make the cancer cells light up.... cancer cells love glucose. Many cancer cells cannot live without it.

Fasting is pretty well accepted as a method of stopping small cancers from taking hold. Basically starving them. Putting ones self into ketosis...starving cancer. Ketosis through nutrition makes sense to me.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:13 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkathy01 View Post
Wow Weezy, you ROCK!! This makes me so angry tho that the doctors don't tell women to stop the sugar and flour and just push the drugs! Kathy
So true, Kathy. I have read quite a few books about the link between sugar, grains, and disease. I do tell everyone who will listen. My mother died of Alzheimer's disease. My plan is to prevent it from happening to me. It is now being called diabetes 3. My mother always ate lots of sugar. She also did not like most things that were good for her. I also think she had a problem with her thyroid that was not diagnosed properly. Anyway drugs of any kind are not for me. I choose to eat healthfully, and eating lots of fat to feed my brain. Fats do not cause heart disease. Too many carbs do.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:21 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
What do you mean by "fat of the meat" if it is "cooked well?" Can you share some examples? I can stand chicken skin if it is fried or rotisserie, but haven't been able to tolerate it if cooked at home, roasted, grilled, I just can't figure it out (too thick).

I've been smoking brisket for years, but always throw away the fat. It is not marbled well, and not chewable. What would you do with it instead? Do you just mean rendered and used elsewhere?

I always retain my drippings to use for cooking, especially bacon.

My daughter was making fun of boys who would eat the fat scraps other kids had cut off their meat, and everyone at the table was "grossing out" while they grinned and chewed it up. And up. And up. I wonder if they were ever able to swallow it!

I like to make the fat a little brown, and make sure you add salt and pepper. We don't eat brisket, so I don't know about that. I do like the fat on a good T-bone steak, and also the fat around a pork chop. Also, the fat in hamburger is good also. Buy the extra fatty hamburger meat. Sausage has a lot of fat in it, as well as ground pork. Of course the chicken skin is good if it is crispy.
Carolyn
Old 06-23-2013, 01:22 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

I am so glad that you are better now.
Carolyn
Old 06-23-2013, 01:24 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Picked up my first batch of raw milk yesterday, and today it is almost half cream floating on top! I am going to make some (grass fed) butter later. Still head scratching what to do with the skim milk underneath.

I don't have any obvious issues with dairy, so pinpointing any subtleties is harder. Hoping raw will help. If not, there is always goat milk in the fall, but i cannot even tell if she is pregnant. Fresh goat milk and prodcuts are tasty, but store bought is really nasty. I don't know why, but the older it gets the worse it tastes, even if cold, and even just a few days.
That raw milk sounds so yummy. We had a cow when I was growing up. The milk was so good. When I went to school, I did not like the milk there. It was so tasteless. Milk itself is high in carbs, so eat the cream and butter, and let the kids have the milk.
Carolyn

Last edited by lovetoknit; 06-23-2013 at 01:25 PM..
Old 06-23-2013, 01:45 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I like to make the fat a little brown, and make sure you add salt and pepper. We don't eat brisket, so I don't know about that. I do like the fat on a good T-bone steak, and also the fat around a pork chop. Also, the fat in hamburger is good also. Buy the extra fatty hamburger meat. Sausage has a lot of fat in it, as well as ground pork. Of course the chicken skin is good if it is crispy.
Carolyn
I've ALWAYS loved the fat on meat also, and now I don't have to feel guilty! Kathy
Old 06-23-2013, 01:46 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
That raw milk sounds so yummy. We had a cow when I was growing up. The milk was so good. When I went to school, I did not like the milk there. It was so tasteless. Milk itself is high in carbs, so eat the cream and butter, and let the kids have the milk.
Carolyn
I've never experienced raw milk, but would love to! My son is raising a couple goats and will breed them and then milk them, so I'll get raw goat milk!
Kathy
Old 06-23-2013, 02:02 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Carolyn

I wonder if raw milk is high in carbs. I've always believed that pasteurized milk has sugar added to make it taste better. The skim is higher in carbs than the full fat! Kathy
Old 06-23-2013, 08:02 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I've never experienced raw milk, but would love to! My son is raising a couple goats and will breed them and then milk them, so I'll get raw goat milk!
Kathy
I have never had goat's milk.
Carolyn
Old 06-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I wonder if raw milk is high in carbs. I've always believed that pasteurized milk has sugar added to make it taste better. The skim is higher in carbs than the full fat! Kathy
All milk is high in carbs. They do not add sugar to pasteurized milk here in the states. If you make cheese or yogurt out of it, that reduces the natural sugar in it.
Carolyn
Old 06-27-2013, 09:10 PM   #48
Junior LCF Member

The lactose is converted into another form of sugar, so yogurt isn't any lower in carbs than the milk it was made from, but it is easier to digest with lots of beneficial bacteria. I make whole cream yogurt: my husband calls it butter! It is quite a lot like a tangy whipped cream cheese once it thickens in the refrigerator.

It was my husband's birthday yesterday, and a daughter turned 7 last week, so back up the scale I go. I tried to cheat just one meal each birthday, but it is amazing how fast I gain and how long it takes to lose. It feels like I fight with this same 4 lbs up and down for weeks and weeks, never getting past the plateau.

We did decide to do a juice fast together when my daughter gets back from her retreat on Saturday. She is only about 10lbs overweight now (she bought a tablet and was very distracted from eating, so she lost 6 or 8 lbs the 2 weeks before she left). ugh...more calories in calories out.

Today I had a grapefruit, some cream cheese, and a lettuce with ranch dressing salad for dinner with 2 pieces of rotisserie chicken. I had a few sips of the raw milk spinach strawberry smoothie I made everyone (else) for a snack, and 2 bites of my baby's pizza (they had a picnic at the park). My 11yr son said, "You know you're cheating yourself every bite of that you take." But it just felt like hardly any food!

I just need to do something drastic to break this plateau. Or do I just keep on keepin' on and hope it breaks itself?

And if cream, cheese, etc are almost zero carb, why are some not able to lose weight if they eat it? What else is going on there? Carbs and insulin are only part of the equation.

Last edited by emmapal; 06-27-2013 at 09:12 PM..
Old 06-28-2013, 05:26 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
The lactose is converted into another form of sugar, so yogurt isn't any lower in carbs than the milk it was made from, but it is easier to digest with lots of beneficial bacteria. I make whole cream yogurt: my husband calls it butter! It is quite a lot like a tangy whipped cream cheese once it thickens in the refrigerator.

It was my husband's birthday yesterday, and a daughter turned 7 last week, so back up the scale I go. I tried to cheat just one meal each birthday, but it is amazing how fast I gain and how long it takes to lose. It feels like I fight with this same 4 lbs up and down for weeks and weeks, never getting past the plateau.

We did decide to do a juice fast together when my daughter gets back from her retreat on Saturday. She is only about 10lbs overweight now (she bought a tablet and was very distracted from eating, so she lost 6 or 8 lbs the 2 weeks before she left). ugh...more calories in calories out.

Today I had a grapefruit, some cream cheese, and a lettuce with ranch dressing salad for dinner with 2 pieces of rotisserie chicken. I had a few sips of the raw milk spinach strawberry smoothie I made everyone (else) for a snack, and 2 bites of my baby's pizza (they had a picnic at the park). My 11yr son said, "You know you're cheating yourself every bite of that you take." But it just felt like hardly any food!

I just need to do something drastic to break this plateau. Or do I just keep on keepin' on and hope it breaks itself?

And if cream, cheese, etc are almost zero carb, why are some not able to lose weight if they eat it? What else is going on there? Carbs and insulin are only part of the equation.
Emma, try a fat fast! That will break it! Kathy
Old 06-30-2013, 10:52 PM   #50
Junior LCF Member

I told my husband I would do a juice fast with him and mentioned a fat fast as an option too. His eyes almost rolled right out of his head! He is not a believer

What types of food do you use for a fat fast (especially if you don't eat cream, cheese, etc)?
Old 07-01-2013, 06:12 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I told my husband I would do a juice fast with him and mentioned a fat fast as an option too. His eyes almost rolled right out of his head! He is not a believer

What types of food do you use for a fat fast (especially if you don't eat cream, cheese, etc)?
Wow Emma, I never thought of that! I guess it is impossible? Juice is loaded with sugar tho!
Old 07-03-2013, 12:18 PM   #52
Junior LCF Member

wow, I feel terrible. Lots of GI distress (I'm doing really high fiber stuff to keep it as low in sugar as possible, but all that fiber comes out of the side of the machine, not into my glass! my husband feels fine). This morning my 7yr daughter told me her stomach was going to explode, so I think we are actually sick, and it's not the diet.

I am just fasting today, having hot flashes, and feeling awful.

This morning I tried making cheese from my raw milk for the first time. Let's just say I need practice...wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. The process was extremely simple, but the cheese isn't very tasty. One of those simple recipes that if you mess up one thing it has a huge impact. Needless to say I am not eating any of it for a few days until I feel better.

I got really sick a week after starting my low carb diet too about 2 months ago, 8 days in bed (took me 2 days to get out of bed even to get to the sofa to watch TV). I ate nothing at all, not even water, for about 5 or 6 days. I lost 10 lbs and gained it all back a few days after I started eating again! Mostly dehydrated. I hope this illness just a little bug, I am still drinking water, and hope any weight I lose I can keep off this time.

Anyway, so not very much progress to report.

Last edited by emmapal; 07-03-2013 at 12:20 PM..
Old 07-03-2013, 01:15 PM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
wow, I feel terrible. Lots of GI distress (I'm doing really high fiber stuff to keep it as low in sugar as possible, but all that fiber comes out of the side of the machine, not into my glass! my husband feels fine). This morning my 7yr daughter told me her stomach was going to explode, so I think we are actually sick, and it's not the diet.

This morning I tried making cheese from my raw milk for the first time. Let's just say I need practice...wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. The process was extremely simple, but the cheese isn't very tasty. One of those simple recipes that if you mess up one thing it has a huge impact. Needless to say I am not eating any of it for a few days until I feel better.

I got really sick a week after starting my low carb diet too about 2 months ago, 8 days in bed (took me 2 days to get out of bed even to get to the sofa to watch TV). I ate nothing at all, not even water, for about 5 or 6 days. I lost 10 lbs and gained it all back a few days after I started eating again! Mostly dehydrated. I hope this illness just a little bug, I am still drinking water, and hope any weight I lose I can keep off this time.

I hope you feel better soon!
Old 07-03-2013, 03:29 PM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Emmapal, hope you get to feeling better soon. I noticed this the other day and failed to respond, but wanted to note that cheese adds up, because the carbs tend to be under-reported on labels. Cream carbs creep up this way too when we use more when we don't measure. I am know I am not answering question about why cheese stalls some people. For me, it would be a matter of eating too much, though.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:44 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Cream cheese has 1 carb for 1 oz. It also has 2 grams of protein per oz. For me, I have to keep my carbs under 5 per meal. Also, I have to keep my protein under 70 grams a day and under 4 oz a meal. Usually I eat under 60 grams a day. It is all about keeping track of the foods you eat and how much of protein, carbs, and fat that you eat. It also can be about sweeteners used. If I use too much artificial sweetener in a day, I see a gain the next day. Some foods cause some people to get an insulin response, but those foods may not bother you at all.
Carolyn
Old 07-03-2013, 07:49 PM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Fiber can give a person an insulin response. You may be eating too much protein or maybe you just got the flu. It does take a little while to make your body get used to very low carb. You could try adding salt to your water. I used to add a pinch of salt to every glass of water that I drank. I no longer need to do that. I hope you are feeling better. Nobody likes to be ill.
Carolyn
Old 07-04-2013, 09:08 AM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

With the gastro distress, I will sometimes eat a couple of tablespoons of high fat yogurt, to get my intestinal bacteria back in order. I agree with what pp says about the pinch of salt.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:19 PM   #58
Junior LCF Member

Gave up on the juice fast as i quickly became very ill after every glass. My daughter completely quit LCHF after her retreat and now eating two meals a day at her nanny job. She has gained a little so she is exercising mornings with my husband. I dont exercise much yet because of the baby (15 months).

Anyway, still slowly gaining weight back. I think even though my carbs are low, no grain, no fruit, no legumes, no starchy or root veggies, almost no nuts or seeds, I am not counting carbs, protein, fat, or calories. My husband suggested putting edited by moderator. Please see link for details: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ma...hone-apps.html back on my phone just to see any hidden factors like too many calories. I think i probably eat too much.

Like my daughter my motivation is waning because this is hard to do while getting no results.

What has worked for you to get over something like this? I started putting butter on everything, which is surprisingly gross, and it helps me eat less, but i wonder if i should be concerned about calories with too much cream cheese or butter? It just feels like splitting hairs at this point.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #59
Senior LCF Member

I would count my calories for a while. Maybe you are eating too much. Also eat less protein. We really do not need as much protein as we think. Limit yourself to 60 grams a day to see if that helps. I don't eat more than 5 carbs at a meal. That seems to help. I also cut my protein which helped as well. My daughter-in-law who is very short, cut her calories to 1200 a day. She is now losing weight the weight that she wants.
Carolyn
Old 07-18-2013, 04:07 PM   #60
Junior LCF Member

Ive done 1200/day low fat low carb and lost weight. Was just hoping this could be an end to counting. It makes me cry �� Seriously, it stresses me out and takes more mental stamina than I have right now. Cant believe this *sob!*