Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   What's on your shopping list? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/806106-whats-your-shopping-list.html)

April04 06-14-2013 07:30 PM

What's on your shopping list?

I'm making my grocery list for the week and wanted to see what others have on their lists, too.

Here's mine, so far...

Coconut oil
Ground beef 80%
Whole chicken
Kerrygold Butter
Sour cream
Avocado
Heavy whipping cream
Mayonnaise
Shredded cheese
Eggs
Bacon
Avocado
Brazil Nuts
Sugar free Torani Vanilla
Apple cider vinegar
Pepperoni slices
Steak
Coffee
Peppermint tea

Hot Potato 06-14-2013 10:08 PM

I have a similar list but with some extras -

Almond meal
Coconut oil
Flax meal
Parmesan cheese
Vegies - zucchini, mushrooms, cauliflower, broccoli, beans, spinach...
Olive oil
Rice malt syrup
Coconut flour
85 per cent dark choc
Soda water
Fetta cheese

lilbeetle 06-15-2013 01:58 AM

I pretty much just buy eggs and veges. I dont buy the other stuff often since we dont eat much of it. Never before in my life have I had over 140 eggs in my pantry.....

April04 06-15-2013 03:14 AM

Coconut flour sounds interesting! once I reach goal and am working on maintaining I'll expand my choices. And those veggies sound delicious Hot Potatoe!

LilBettle: me too on the eggs! I listed my expanded list, but eggs are usually 2 of my meals. Yesterday I had egg yolks for breakfast, egg salad for dinner and deviled eggs for dinner. I just have to keep it simple.

lovetoknit 06-15-2013 10:52 AM

We eat eggs, green vegetables, pork chops, ham, sausage, bacon, chicken, steak, hamburger, sour cream, heavy cream, butter, flax seed meal, herbs and spices, natural salt, mushrooms, pork rinds, different varieties of cheese, cream cheese, and berries. Also butter, olive oil, and coconut oil. I think that covers most of it.
Carolyn

April04 06-15-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovetoknit (Post 16471729)
We eat eggs, green vegetables, pork chops, ham, sausage, bacon, chicken, steak, hamburger, sour cream, heavy cream, butter, flax seed meal, herbs and spices, natural salt, mushrooms, pork rinds, different varieties of cheese, cream cheese, and berries. Also butter, olive oil, and coconut oil. I think that covers most of it.
Carolyn

Great list, Carolyn! Gave me some new ideas!

lovetoknit 06-15-2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by April04 (Post 16471858)
Great list, Carolyn! Gave me some new ideas!

Glad that I can help. :)
Carolyn

melisa82 06-16-2013 09:45 PM

My List:

Eggs
Bacon
Sausage
Pork Jowl Bacon
Avocado
Shredded Lettuce
Shredded Cabbage
Cauliflower
Fresh Green Beans
80/20 Ground Beef
Ground Turkey
Chicken Thighs
Country Style Pork Ribs
Salad Shrimp
Canned Tuna
Coconut Oil
Coconut Cream
Coconut Flour
Butter
Nitrate/Sugar-free Deli Meats
Almond Meal
Cheese
HWC
Organic Liquid Stevia
Pork Rinds
Sour Cream
Kens Steakhouse Ranch Dressing
Ranch Powder
Grated Parm
Safeway Dark Chocolate!
Pepperoni
Pickles
Sunflower Seeds

I thinks those are my staples...

Ntombi 06-16-2013 10:17 PM

Yesterday I got

Ground beef
Hot Italian sausages (I get a brand with no sugar added, and lists 0g carbs per link)
bacon
cabbage (whole and pre-shredded)
mixed greens (mustard, collard, turnip)
eggplant
eggs
salami
mayo
habanero mustard
HWC
cream cheese
Kerrygold butter
non-Kerrygold butter
tea
Tillamook sharp cheddar baby loaf
Sargento shredded cheeses
onions
red bell peppers
A1 sauce
smoked wild Alaskan salmon
diet root beer
tuna
beef short ribs
beef chuck roast
ribeye steak

All of the meat was on sale. I only buy meat on sale, and stock up when prices are good. I have a bunch of pork roasts and other stuff in my chest freezer at all times. I'm waiting for chicken to go on sale; it's been almost two months now. :annoyed:

April04 09-21-2013 08:34 AM

Just revisited this post to get some ideas for my post FF shopping list.

Thanks again for the fresh ideas!

emel 09-21-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by April04 (Post 16613504)
Just revisited this post to get some ideas for my post FF shopping list.

Thanks again for the fresh ideas!

Oh Oh! I just pasted a big old FF list. It's a mishmash of online sources, and be careful because some of them midway down are for the 1200 cal FF.
Post #10 in this thread:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nu...p-friends.html

April04 09-21-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emel (Post 16613584)
Oh Oh! I just pasted a big old FF list. It's a mishmash of online sources, and be careful because some of them midway down are for the 1200 cal FF.
Post #10 in this thread:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nu...p-friends.html

THANK YOU, Emel! Can't wait to check it out!!

Selahgal 09-22-2013 07:51 PM

Are there any NK recipe threads here?

I'm scouring the low carbs sites and going through recipes I kept from before as I am in dire need of more variety, more fats and more meals I truly enjoy, not just eating to eat. My appetite is very low for some reason and I don't feel hungry or want to eat, but if I can find some YUMMY recipes I'll love to eat, perhaps eating will be easier. Anyone else lose their appetite on NK? Also noticed my heart pounding harder lately and I wonder if I'm getting enough calories each day. Anyone experience that?

Tomorrow's recipes planned include sausage spinach meatballs, oopsies, cream cheese filled crepes, chicken florentine and cheesecake. Wanted to make some pudding but need xanathan gum and when I saw the price of it at the store today I didn't buy it. Anyhow I try to plan ahead and make food to have onhand rather than cooking/baking every day since I don't enjoy that nor am I good at it!

colamalu 09-23-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Selahgal (Post 16615299)
Are there any NK recipe threads here?

I'm scouring the low carbs sites and going through recipes I kept from before as I am in dire need of more variety, more fats and more meals I truly enjoy, not just eating to eat. My appetite is very low for some reason and I don't feel hungry or want to eat, but if I can find some YUMMY recipes I'll love to eat, perhaps eating will be easier. Anyone else lose their appetite on NK? Also noticed my heart pounding harder lately and I wonder if I'm getting enough calories each day. Anyone experience that?

Tomorrow's recipes planned include sausage spinach meatballs, oopsies, cream cheese filled crepes, chicken florentine and cheesecake. Wanted to make some pudding but need xanathan gum and when I saw the price of it at the store today I didn't buy it. Anyhow I try to plan ahead and make food to have onhand rather than cooking/baking every day since I don't enjoy that nor am I good at it!

Marci, I can't imagine you would need much xanathan gum for the pudding, do you have a food co-op nearby? I live in a small town and our co-op has xanathan gum in bulk.

Selahgal 09-23-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colamalu (Post 16616613)
Marci, I can't imagine you would need much xanathan gum for the pudding, do you have a food co-op nearby? I live in a small town and our co-op has xanathan gum in bulk.

So a little goes a long way then?

Punkin 09-24-2013 04:36 AM

My grocery list:

Veggies: Rapini, watercress, alfalfa seeds, sometimes other low carb veggies such as romaine lettuce, white asparagus, zucchini, cauliflower, cucumber, celery, bok choy, escarole and tomatos)

Meat: Organ meats and any kind of muscle meat that is purchased on a styrofoam plate. Although we sometimes also eat hotdogs.

Spices: Ground, we usually buy and we pick the fresh from our garden.

Dairy: Usually goat and sheep products: Butter, sour cream, cream cheese, raw cheese such as brie (but sheep version). I also buy sheep's milk but I extract the fat and protein from it. The only cow product I buy is english cream which is 48% MF.

Supplements: Coconut oil, MCT oil, guar gum, psyllium husks and glucomannon powder.

Baking products: Gelatine, baking powder

Other: coconuts, nuts (usually pecans), flaxseeds, tea leaves, coffee beans.

clackley 09-24-2013 07:00 AM

I went shopping at my meat suppliers for the first time. I usually shop on line but wanted to buy a smaller amount of product this time. I am so glad I did. Learned a lot about how they operate and at the same time got some super fresh eggs (some were still warm)and they were also having a special at $3/dozen.

4 dozen farm fresh, organic, truly free run eggs
1 whole chicken, free range organic
4 chicken carcasses also free range, organic
4 lbs pastured ground pork
4 lbs 100% grass fed beef

This place is also antibiotic and hormone free. They really are on board with responsible farming. They are great. I only wish I had more freezer space.

Patience 09-24-2013 07:10 AM

You are doing good for yourself and the farmers and the critters. Well done!

Selahgal 09-24-2013 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clackley (Post 16616955)
I went shopping at my meat suppliers for the first time. I usually shop on line but wanted to buy a smaller amount of product this time. I am so glad I did. Learned a lot about how they operate and at the same time got some super fresh eggs (some were still warm)and they were also having a special at $3/dozen.

4 dozen farm fresh, organic, truly free run eggs
1 whole chicken, free range organic
4 chicken carcasses also free range, organic
4 lbs pastured ground pork
4 lbs 100% grass fed beef

This place is also antibiotic and hormone free. They really are on board with responsible farming. They are great. I only wish I had more freezer space.

To be able to have THAT I'd buy another freezer!!!

clackley 09-24-2013 08:04 AM

I do feel very fortunate!

April04 09-24-2013 08:57 AM

Anyone ever used a product called Organic Coconut Spread? I got it at Whole Foods, and it's supposed to be a butter replacement, but it sort of freaked me out and made me think of margarine.

Anyone know anything about it? Is it ok for NK?

Selahgal 09-24-2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by April04 (Post 16617126)
Anyone ever used a product called Organic Coconut Spread? I got it at Whole Foods, and it's supposed to be a butter replacement, but it sort of freaked me out and made me think of margarine.

I'd say it depends on what's in it!

April04 09-24-2013 10:04 AM

Ingredients: Tropical Oil Blend (extra virgin coconut, palm fruit, and coconut oils, canola oil, filtered water, salt, natural flavor, sunflower lecithin, lactic acid (non-dairy)

1 TBSP:
100 Calories
11g Fat

Selahgal 09-24-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by April04 (Post 16617264)
Ingredients: Tropical Oil Blend (extra virgin coconut, palm fruit, and coconut oils, canola oil, filtered water, salt, natural flavor, sunflower lecithin, lactic acid (non-dairy)

1 TBSP:
100 Calories
11g Fat

Only unhealthy thing I see is canola oil. Unsure what palm fruit is OR 'natural flavor'. Coconut oilS? Plural? :dunno:

April04 09-24-2013 10:31 AM

So, I'll be throwing that away tonight. Thanks for giving it a look over, Selahgal!

lovetoknit 09-25-2013 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by April04 (Post 16617126)

I would just use butter or coconut oil. Or you could mix the two together. Most of those other spreads are geared to vegans.
Carolyn

cherylockholmes 10-08-2013 05:31 AM

My shopping list usually consists of:

Grass fed beef, organic chicken, organic uncured bacon (Wegmans)
Kerrygold butter
Organic heavy cream
Sour cream
Avocado
Kale or other leafy greens
Nuts (in moderation!) Pumpkin seeds are great for magnesium and are low fiber, so I like those
Spaghetti squash (cures my pasta craving, but in moderation as it is 7g carbs per serving)
Zucchini (I use a spiralizer to make "pasta" with it)
Mushrooms and onions
Applegate Farms pepperoni (the best pepperoni ever)
Kerrygold cheese (shredded myself instead of bagged cheeses which use caking agents that add carbs...plus it's grass fed which is better for you anyway)
Cream cheese
Peanut butter (to make PB fat bombs with)
Coconut oil (I go through tubs of Nutiva organic coconut oil like it's nuthin)
Pork rinds (great for smashing up and using as coating for chicken, etc.)
LaCroix sparkling water (no sweetener, real or artificial)
Unsweetened iced tea from Trader Joes
Grated parmigianno regianno cheese (Wegmans)
Cauliflower

I wish I could stomach organ meats, but alas...not gonna happen
I have almond and coconut flour, but try to stay away from it as much as possible because they do contain carbs

AnnetteW 10-09-2013 05:37 AM

My husband does the major shopping and I do a lot of specialized shopping when I hit Trader Joes, Natural Grocers, etc. I'm really excited as we will be getting 2 new natural food stores nearby quite soon.

My specialty items are:

Cream (fave from Costco, 1/2 gallon)
Farm fresh eggs (from my husband co-worker)
Different cheeses (love to try new ones now from TJs and Costco)
Nuts (Natural grocers has a great variety)
Coffee (almost always from Costco)
Wines (cheap from Trader Joes most the time)
Salami and Smoked Salmon (Trader Joes)
Dark Chocolate
Meat and Veggies (my husband buys)
Regular butter most the time, occasionally Kerrygold, but I don't notice the difference.
Extra Light Olive Oil (for my mayonnaise)

cherylockholmes 10-09-2013 06:19 AM

Annette...you might not notice the difference between Kerrygold and the regular butter, but your arteries will! Grass fed dairy is so much healthier. I think it's worth the couple extra bucks just for that reason alone (although I do notice a major taste difference also)