Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2013, 02:54 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Tiffany62590
Stats: 240/165/159
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2008 started Atkins, low carb on & off since
Calories while doing NK? Calorie shy and starting NK

Hi everyone, I'm new to NK (planning on starting next week) but been doing low carb on and off for years. I was wondering if anyone counts calories while doing this, and what their calorie limits are? I'm 23, 5'11, and run 6 times a week in the mornings (with a jog or walk usually thrown in at dinnertime) and currently at 1,800 calories on a standard low carb diet and I'm pretty sure I'm maintaining my weight (but I haven't weighed in two weeks so not sure if I've lost any or not). An online calculator said I should be eating 2,000 or more calories per day while doing NK - does that sound right? You have to take into account that I've been a chronic dieter and my metabolism isn't what it should be, but it HAS been getting better since I started running. Also, I don't have a ton of weight to lose, I only have about 5 pounds to my 'I'm happy with this' weight and 10 to my 'this is perfect' weight'. I'm doing this for general health as well as some weight loss.

Thanks for your help
Tiffany62590 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2013, 10:20 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany62590 View Post
Hi everyone, I'm new to NK (planning on starting next week) but been doing low carb on and off for years. I was wondering if anyone counts calories while doing this, and what their calorie limits are? I'm 23, 5'11, and run 6 times a week in the mornings (with a jog or walk usually thrown in at dinnertime) and currently at 1,800 calories on a standard low carb diet and I'm pretty sure I'm maintaining my weight (but I haven't weighed in two weeks so not sure if I've lost any or not). An online calculator said I should be eating 2,000 or more calories per day while doing NK - does that sound right? You have to take into account that I've been a chronic dieter and my metabolism isn't what it should be, but it HAS been getting better since I started running. Also, I don't have a ton of weight to lose, I only have about 5 pounds to my 'I'm happy with this' weight and 10 to my 'this is perfect' weight'. I'm doing this for general health as well as some weight loss.

Thanks for your help
I see that nobody answered this, so I will. I think you should be eating more than 2000 calories a day if you exercise that much.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:46 AM   #3
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
There is a 3 part series on youtube by Dr. Peter Attia, subject being the role of fat in the diet but he talks about calories and their place and his own experience with that subject. For someone who is into athletics (as you seem to be), I would think this would be a wonderful take on the subject!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:12 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Tiffany62590
Stats: 240/165/159
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2008 started Atkins, low carb on & off since
Thank you both very much for your replies I'll check out Dr. Peter Attia, I googled him and he has a lot of good information!
Tiffany62590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #5
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I think he is pretty great!!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote