Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   Calories while doing NK? Calorie shy and starting NK (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/806095-calories-while-doing-nk-calorie-shy-starting-nk.html)

Tiffany62590 06-14-2013 01:54 PM

Calories while doing NK? Calorie shy and starting NK

Hi everyone, :hiya: I'm new to NK (planning on starting next week) but been doing low carb on and off for years. I was wondering if anyone counts calories while doing this, and what their calorie limits are? I'm 23, 5'11, and run 6 times a week in the mornings (with a jog or walk usually thrown in at dinnertime) and currently at 1,800 calories on a standard low carb diet and I'm pretty sure I'm maintaining my weight (but I haven't weighed in two weeks so not sure if I've lost any or not). An online calculator said I should be eating 2,000 or more calories per day while doing NK - does that sound right? You have to take into account that I've been a chronic dieter and my metabolism isn't what it should be, but it HAS been getting better since I started running. Also, I don't have a ton of weight to lose, I only have about 5 pounds to my 'I'm happy with this' weight and 10 to my 'this is perfect' weight'. I'm doing this for general health as well as some weight loss.

Thanks for your help :D

lovetoknit 06-20-2013 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiffany62590 (Post 16470793)
Hi everyone, :hiya: I'm new to NK (planning on starting next week) but been doing low carb on and off for years. I was wondering if anyone counts calories while doing this, and what their calorie limits are? I'm 23, 5'11, and run 6 times a week in the mornings (with a jog or walk usually thrown in at dinnertime) and currently at 1,800 calories on a standard low carb diet and I'm pretty sure I'm maintaining my weight (but I haven't weighed in two weeks so not sure if I've lost any or not). An online calculator said I should be eating 2,000 or more calories per day while doing NK - does that sound right? You have to take into account that I've been a chronic dieter and my metabolism isn't what it should be, but it HAS been getting better since I started running. Also, I don't have a ton of weight to lose, I only have about 5 pounds to my 'I'm happy with this' weight and 10 to my 'this is perfect' weight'. I'm doing this for general health as well as some weight loss.

Thanks for your help :D

I see that nobody answered this, so I will. I think you should be eating more than 2000 calories a day if you exercise that much.
Carolyn

clackley 06-21-2013 06:46 AM

There is a 3 part series on youtube by Dr. Peter Attia, subject being the role of fat in the diet but he talks about calories and their place and his own experience with that subject. For someone who is into athletics (as you seem to be), I would think this would be a wonderful take on the subject!

Tiffany62590 06-21-2013 09:12 AM

Thank you both very much for your replies :) I'll check out Dr. Peter Attia, I googled him and he has a lot of good information!

clackley 06-21-2013 09:24 AM

I think he is pretty great!!:)