Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2013, 11:22 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: juliekaboolie
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 1/7/11
A question about electrolytes

Hello!

How do you all maintain your electrolyte balance eating this way? Due to a genetic heart condition that affects my heart's electrical system, I have to heavily supplement with potassium and magnesium. I tried this woe last year and had to stop after five days due to heart palpitations. I'd like to eat this way again, but I need to do it with caution. Thoughts?
juliekaboolie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2013, 11:31 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
This is all a bit of a mystery for me. For me, after 10 weeks, I've found I need more salt and can cut back on the P. I take about 300mg of magnesium perday and a calcium supplement.

I got a some serious leg cramps earlier this week, and after thinking it through, I think the issue was that I let myself get dehydrated from 5 days of travel. I've never had issues with heart palpitations, thank goodness. Will be interested to read what others post. After googling sodium salt balance, I am still confused, but there have been some good posts here in past years about that. Maybe one of our science types can weigh in here.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:46 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kiliki78
I've been trying to solve this issue recently as well. Since starting keto I had several charlie horses and the recovery has been painful.

I now supplement with 250mg magnesium tablets and Morton's Lite Salt for the potassium. I use it on foods and mixed with my daily apple cider vinegar. I feel better already, we will see how things go from here. Despite drinking a ton of water a day it was just not enough.
kiliki78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:01 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
You may need to make sure your sodium is high enough to spare the other electrolytes. Have you read through this thread? It will give you some info, further into the thread, as to why the balance is important.

NK and Salt - You must have it!

Bone broth is a great way to get the minerals you might need.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ike-magic.html
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:18 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
I add salt to my diet. Adding a pinch of salt to every glass of water that you drink helps. Some people drink salty broth.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:47 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: charitysmom1029
Stats: 40 yrs. old-166/154/110-5'2"-HIGHEST WEIGHT 226
WOE: calorie restricted ketogenic -0 carbs
Start Date: 1/8/2014
I have 3 chicken bullion cubes every day that I melt down in water which totals which equals 2,640 milligrams of sodium Plus I eat turkey bacon and there is soe sodium in that. If I eat enough sodium I don't seem to have an issue with electrolytes.
charitysmom1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:50 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

I have to be attentive to sodium. My past tendency has been not to salt foods and I've never eaten much of processed salty foods. I still don't like adding too much salt to food -- soups and broths are the best carriers, though. I've never had issues retaining water. Sodium keeps my leg cramps a bay. When they return it is when my salt consumption is down. I keep a small bottle of salted water by my bedside.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:10 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: charitysmom1029
Stats: 40 yrs. old-166/154/110-5'2"-HIGHEST WEIGHT 226
WOE: calorie restricted ketogenic -0 carbs
Start Date: 1/8/2014
I always do supplement with potassium and magnesium as well
charitysmom1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:47 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

I take extra Potassium too, but without the sodium it is inadequate to stop leg cramping. I take some magnesium (the 100% chelated kind) but only an extra 100 mg a day beyond the small bit in my multi. I also take extra calcium daily.