Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 08:26 AM   #1
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
How or do you count coconut oil?

This may seem obvious or maybe not.... I wonder how people count their consumption of coconut oil? The reason I ask is that it is a different kind of oil (mct) and maybe that makes a difference when it comes to macros?

Another reason is that it is considered a supplement to some and that might change the thinking?

I have been counting it and it figures in rather high on the fat consumption (14g per tbsp.).
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: translationmx
Stats: 180/136 now 167/160.8/140
WOE: NK baby!
Start Date: Every day!!
That's a very interesting question. It's kind of what it's said in the book about yogurt - to count only 5 grams of carbs per cup, not what's stated in the nutritional label...

I love coconut oil straight from the jar... the texture and flavor are pretty awesome to me
translationmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:43 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernBelle
Stats: 296/154/149
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 29, 2013
Hi Clackley! I just started using coconut oil Saturday, and i count it as food. Even though it's a tropical oil and has some special properties, it is still food if you eat it that is lol.

14g fat for 1 tbsp is the same amount as other oils since that number is based on weight.

However, it has the highest saturated fat of any oil (96%) so saturated fat is 12g per tbsp whereas olive oil for example only has 2g per tbsp
SouthernBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:01 AM   #4

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
people play all sorts of games on what to "count" and what not to... I don't see any reason to think you should count less than the stated fat grams. it's food and you digest it. we have to make healthy choices even though it leaves us fewer calories for other things... *sigh*
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:09 AM   #5
Chatty Cathy

The thing about co that might make it a bit different is how it is converted to energy.

Quote:
Medium-chain triglycerides in coconut oil are smaller than other fats and, therefore, digest very quickly, so quickly in fact, that the body uses them as an immediate source of fuel rather than pack them away in storage inside our fat cells. MCT are used to produce energy much like carbohydrates and, therefore, they do not circulate in the bloodstream like other fats. For this reason, they do not supply fat to fat cells or contribute to weight gain.
This is one explanation on the differences between mct oil and other oils with long chain triglycerides. It makes a difference but I guess this might be over thinking it as well. It just occurs to me now and again and have never come to a conclusion.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:42 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Cathy, are you asking if you should log the calories or if you should log the fat grams?

I'm not sure what your question is.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:44 AM   #7
Chatty Cathy

No, I do log everything other than actual pill form supplements but I was considering upping my consumption of c.o. and that raises my my nutrient levels of fat and I am trying not to do that and thought it might not be just given that c.o. is metabolized differently from other types of fats. Just making things more complicated ...
Old 06-12-2013, 08:27 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: translationmx
Stats: 180/136 now 167/160.8/140
WOE: NK baby!
Start Date: Every day!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
No, I do log everything other than actual pill form supplements but I was considering upping my consumption of c.o. and that raises my my nutrient levels of fat and I am trying not to do that and thought it might not be just given that c.o. is metabolized differently from other types of fats. Just making things more complicated ...
I think this would be a good question for the authors of the book. Like I said before, they tell you to modify how you log yogurt, what if CO has a similar consideration? no?
translationmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:23 AM   #9
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by translationmx View Post
I think this would be a good question for the authors of the book. Like I said before, they tell you to modify how you log yogurt, what if CO has a similar consideration? no?
Yes, I agree. Grouping foods into 3 groups of macro nutrients is pretty basic to say the least. I think there are major differences on metabolism within each group. For instance, seed oils are hardly the same thing as coconut oil.

I guess the obvious answer would be to not be so stringent and just try upping the c.o. and see what happens. In fact, that is what I am going to do!!
Old 06-12-2013, 02:41 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Are you saying co shouldn't count towards the fat ratios? Or that they don't help with ketosis?
Old 06-12-2013, 03:12 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilbeetle
Stats: 165/127/125(5'4)
WOE: Primal with intermittant M&E
Start Date: March 2013
I just log it as is. I have a wide enough range of calories I can work with (1250-1800) that a teaspoon at every meal doesnt add much.
lilbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:14 AM   #12
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
Are you saying co shouldn't count towards the fat ratios? Or that they don't help with ketosis?
I was suggesting that it might be counted as a supplement and therefore not included in the daily macro nutients. I most definitely think c.o. helps with ketosis!
Old 06-14-2013, 05:06 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hot Potato
Stats: 117.4kg/107.1/99kg (first goal)
WOE: LCHF/primal/NK
Start Date: May 2013
I pretty much only use CO in cooking/baking (as well as fat bombs).

I just log it. I'm not fussed about calories so much anyway as I find I am naturally hovering between 1300-1400 anyway. If my body treats it differently, that's a bonus

But then, I have read the book....
Hot Potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:46 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
So yes or no-- count the calories in CO? Yes or No - count as food?
Spanilingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:17 AM   #15
Chatty Cathy

I don't think there is a definitive answer. I am not so concerned about calories but with the fat grams. Dr. Pinney says that once carbs and protein are in the proper range and weight loss is still not happening - then cut back on fat. It appears I am not losing weight any longer and have tried cutting fat to no avail.. I am now upping my c.o. consumption and including it in my fat grams. Trying to keep everything else equal..... time will tell.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:44 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hot Potato
Stats: 117.4kg/107.1/99kg (first goal)
WOE: LCHF/primal/NK
Start Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Potato View Post

I just log it. I'm not fussed about calories so much anyway as I find I am naturally hovering between 1300-1400 anyway. If my body treats it differently, that's a bonus

Just reread this...I meant to say I haven't read the book!! Sorry!
Hot Potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:51 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cathy, I found this info on the metabolism of MCT.

Exercise Physiology: Nutrition, Energy, and Human Performance - William D. McArdle, Frank I. Katch, Victor L. Katch - Google Books

It basically says the MCTs are absorbed and metabolised without being repackaged. They are absorbed into the blood and taken up by the cell mitochondria and used for energy first. So, they are like alcohol and glucose and metabolized immediately.

The take away for me is that they quick calories and everything else will be put on hold until the are used up.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:13 AM   #18
Chatty Cathy

Thanks Drjlo!! Nice to 'see' you btw! I had read this about mct oil and that was the basis of my questioning how to properly account for it. I agree that they are preferred.

I have upped my co by having 2 bpc instead of 1 and have seen the scale not react so far but it is still early. I have now upped my fat grams effectively so time will tell.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:44 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernBelle
Stats: 296/154/149
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 29, 2013
Quote:

Exercise Physiology: Nutrition, Energy, and Human Performance - William D. McArdle, Frank I. Katch, Victor L. Katch - Google Books

It basically says the MCTs are absorbed and metabolised without being repackaged. They are absorbed into the blood and taken up by the cell mitochondria and used for energy first. So, they are like alcohol and glucose and metabolized immediately.

The take away for me is that they quick calories and everything else will be put on hold until the are used up.
SouthernBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:21 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Potato View Post

I am with you about not worrying about counting the calories. I just make sure that I get enough fat and calories. I find it pretty hard to overeat, as long as I limit my carbs and protein.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:16 PM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Manty
Stats: 48 F /147/129/120
WOE: NKeto
Start Date: May2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoknit View Post
I am with you about not worrying about counting the calories. I just make sure that I get enough fat and calories. I find it pretty hard to overeat, as long as I limit my carbs and protein.
Carolyn
+1
Manty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:56 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Quote:

I am a bit confused by the comparison with alcohol. My understand that alcohol forestalls ketosis yet I am reading here that MCT helps with ketosis. ??
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:50 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Edited by a moderator, please see the Terms Of Service for details.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:10 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
This may seem obvious or maybe not.... I wonder how people count their consumption of coconut oil? The reason I ask is that it is a different kind of oil (mct) and maybe that makes a difference when it comes to macros?

Another reason is that it is considered a supplement to some and that might change the thinking?

I have been counting it and it figures in rather high on the fat consumption (14g per tbsp.).
I don't count my fat. I count my carbs and protein, and eat the rest of my food in fat. My body tells me when I have had enough. I was going to delete this post, but they won't let me. It seems that I already posted this previously.
Carolyn

Last edited by lovetoknit; 07-23-2013 at 11:15 AM..
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:38 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Darn, seem to be losing a lot of posts the last couple of days.
Thanks for the link, drj I am still confused how mct being burned first (preferred fuel much as alcohol) helps with weight loss. Alcohol is said to delay ketosis. If MCT oil has the same preferred fuel status (and that is what I understand from the article), how does this help with weight loss? Don't we want to burn body fat rather than alcohol or MCT oil?
Old 07-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
That article got me to thinking....I went to Pub Med and typed in "MCT oil and weight loss" and there are a gazillion studies I can read. I think I'll do a little reading on ketosis also.
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:46 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

That would be great Annette. I am time stretched for the next several weeks but really curious to understand this better. One question I have that maybe someone could answer now is the difference between regular unrefined coconut oil and the MCT oil that I buy from Netrition that comes in a bottle and always stays liquid. CO is a medium chain trigliceride . . . but what is the advantage of me consuming MCT oil (other than it works better in iced coffee)? Would I be better in terms of getting into fat burning mode if I always used MCT oil in my coffee instead of my regular unrefined CO? So many questions and so little time.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:58 AM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Coconut oil is 65% MCTs and the rest is saturated fat.

The MCT you buy at Netrition is pure medium chain triglycerides and no saturated fats.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:00 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Cool, thanks drjlocarb, that's a bit of info that I needed.