Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: April04
Stats: 216/190/150
WOE: NK 80/15/5
Start Date: April 4, 2013
HWC...why do you stall me?

Confession Time: I just ate 1/3 cup HWC whipped up with a splash of lemon juice and a little Equal. It was delicious. But, I was trying to stay off the HWC this month because it seems to stall me a little.

I'm having regrets about eating it, but I was hungry (well tired). I know it will cause a gain, as it always does. But...I don't understand how this works, the HWC should only contribute 200 calories more then I'd normally have. So instead of a gain (like I usually get after HWC) I should just have less of a loss, right?

What's the deal?
April04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2013, 08:05 AM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
Human brains are basically "pattern recognition machines" in many ways. we are always looking for patterns. the trouble is we are too quick to see them, when they are not really there. No, I don't believe eating 200 calories more than usual would cause weight gain. I think it's coincidence that you see that on those days. if it happened 20 times in a row, well, maybe true! perhaps you are eating LESS of something that keeps you regular so you are not having a bowel movement and that is what causes you to weigh more?
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:07 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kiliki78
I use about a 1/4 cup of hwc everyday in my coffee and maybe another recipe but have yet to see a stall. I hear this about too much cheese as well.

I read that in the weight loss process our fat cells can lose the fat, only to fill with water temporarily. This might be the "swoosh" we all hear about, the water being released finally and the scale moving. The scale alone never gives all the information...
kiliki78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Thank you Ravenrose and kiliki78! I appreciate your voices of reason. I felt about whining/venting last night in anticipation of a gain after being strict all day at a party. I think I often become too reliant on dairy and forget about meat and that's when I end up with a gain.

But, I had no fluctuation in weight, so maybe the whoosh tomorrow
Old 06-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #5
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
If you continue to see weight fluctuations, you could conclude that you have a dairy intolerance and the scale is demonstrating fluid retention due to inflammation. You should also note that 1/3 cup of hwc will add carbs and that may be enough to cause a change in fluid retention. One thing for sure is that it will not add actual body fat on it's own.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:32 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Thank you, Cathy!
Old 06-11-2013, 04:09 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Perplexity
Stats: 232/165/136 5'9"
WOE: high fat/low carb/restricted calorie
Start Date: December 2008
I bloat enough from Equal (nutrasweet) that it messes with the scale and I sometimes try to avoid it. No such problems with Splenda.
Perplexity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:15 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perplexity View Post
I bloat enough from Equal (nutrasweet) that it messes with the scale and I sometimes try to avoid it. No such problems with Splenda.
That's great to know about Splenda, I just bought some, and will try that instead.

And, as for my love affair with HWC, I have limited it to 3 TBS per day and have had incredible (for me) losses this week. I think I am probably dairy intolerant, and just need to keep it at a minimum. When I grocery shop and get sour cream, cream cheese, shredded cheese, HWC, I tend to over do it. But, now I'm just choosing one per day, and it's helped tremendously this week.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:16 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Are you sure it is the heavy cream? I find that too much artificial sweeteners always make me gain. It really does not have anything to do with calories. It depends on how your body handles that food. That is why when I eat fruit, I see a gain. It does not have that many calories. Also if I eat too many green vegetables I gain. Even lettuce can make me gain if I eat too much. Try limiting your carbs to less than five per meal. That may help. Also sweeteners should be very limited.
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Thank you for your feedback, lovetoknit (I also love to knit )

I've never been one to do artificial sweetners, so I've just used a packet maybe 4 times over the last 3 months. So I don't think that's causing the problem for me.

And I've never gone over 11 g carbs, I'm really carb sensitive. Here's a look at my days yesterday (high calories due to some delicious bacon.

Calories: 1687
Fat 157 g 85 %
Carbs 3.7 g 1%
Sodium 2133.6 mg
Protein 58.5 g 14 %
Water 64 fl oz

The lower HWC has been great for me, I'll do a test in a week or two to see if I can add it back in.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:30 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by April04 View Post
Thank you for your feedback, lovetoknit (I also love to knit )

I've never been one to do artificial sweetners, so I've just used a packet maybe 4 times over the last 3 months. So I don't think that's causing the problem for me.

And I've never gone over 11 g carbs, I'm really carb sensitive. Here's a look at my days yesterday (high calories due to some delicious bacon.

Calories: 1687
Fat 157 g 85 %
Carbs 3.7 g 1%
Sodium 2133.6 mg
Protein 58.5 g 14 %
Water 64 fl oz

The lower HWC has been great for me, I'll do a test in a week or two to see if I can add it back in.
Your menu looks good. I usually keep my carbs less than 10 a day also. I am very sensitive to them. I am glad that I can have heavy cream without a problem. I thought at first that I would have to give it up, but it turned out that it was sweeteners that were my problem. So I limit them a lot. I also found that if I have over 4 oz of protein a meal, that I will see a gain. So I eat small amounts of protein several times a day. There are days when I do not get more than 60 grams of protein. So what do you like to knit? Right now I am knitting socks.
Carolyn
Old 06-15-2013, 12:04 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoknit View Post
Your menu looks good. I usually keep my carbs less than 10 a day also. I am very sensitive to them. I am glad that I can have heavy cream without a problem. I thought at first that I would have to give it up, but it turned out that it was sweeteners that were my problem. So I limit them a lot. I also found that if I have over 4 oz of protein a meal, that I will see a gain. So I eat small amounts of protein several times a day. There are days when I do not get more than 60 grams of protein. So what do you like to knit? Right now I am knitting socks.
Carolyn
Socks, you must have much patience! I have tried to knit socks and I have one of many different socks now around the house. I always tire of it before I do the second. I love to knit baby hats and sweaters, cowls, scarves, etc. Mostly things that don't need to be exactly precise sizes, as I lack the patience needed to swatch and get it right. But I love color work and don't mind mittens too much, especially the finished product. Looking for a pattern now, something quick and easy for the beach!
Old 06-15-2013, 06:06 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Socks, you must have much patience! I have tried to knit socks and I have one of many different socks now around the house. I always tire of it before I do the second. I love to knit baby hats and sweaters, cowls, scarves, etc. Mostly things that don't need to be exactly precise sizes, as I lack the patience needed to swatch and get it right. But I love color work and don't mind mittens too much, especially the finished product. Looking for a pattern now, something quick and easy for the beach!
I do like knitting socks but mittens are fun also. Hats are always a good project. Have you tried ruffled scarves yet? They use that special net yarn. I have made several of those as gifts. They work up pretty quickly. I do not have any patience for sweaters. I guess my family members are not sweater people. It does not get that cold here. I do make a lot of baby afghans for gifts.
Carolyn
Old 06-15-2013, 06:33 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Those ruffled scarves are great gifts, I haven't done one in a while. I also love the potato chip scarf, my first experience with short rows. Baby afghans, another favorite, I'm going to be needing some more babies in my life, everything looks perfect on them!
Old 06-18-2013, 08:10 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Weezy
Too much HWC causes me to stall; when I want to try to start losing again, HWC is the first thing I cut; other dairy is the second. I think it's the carbs because I'm pretty carb intolerant, especially for losing.

On the bright side, if I'm having a BAD craving day, I figure it's better to indulge in some whipped cream w/cocoa powder than have a maple bar. I may not lose, but I won't gain and I'll generally stay in ketosis.

Oh--and any artificial sweetener can also cause me to stall. I do best on days when I have no sweeteners at all. I'm still extremely insulin resistant and sweet things cause a blood glucose reaction in me, even though there is no actual sugar.
Weezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Those ruffled scarves are great gifts, I haven't done one in a while. I also love the potato chip scarf, my first experience with short rows. Baby afghans, another favorite, I'm going to be needing some more babies in my life, everything looks perfect on them!

I haven't tried the potato chip scarf. Good thing there are a lot of baby's being born at my husband's work. It gives me a good reason to knit an afghan up. My daughter is due any day now. So I am working on one now.
Carolyn