Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   My Food Log (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/805560-my-food-log.html)

PeaceMachineGun 06-05-2013 02:40 PM

My Food Log

Here is my food log for today. I'd super appreciate some feedback!

My stats are as follows:
Weight = 245 lbs. --> caloric expenditure based on Phinney calculation=3340
Height = 6 feet tall
Goal Weight = 180 lbs. -->caloric expenditure from this weight=2863

Meal #1 - 6 oz Rutabaga
5 oz Steak
630 calories from Ghee (7 Tablespoons)
(1 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar before meal to help with digestion)
-Total Carbs = 9 grams (8 from Rutabaga, 1 from ACV)
-Total Protein = 35 grams
-Total Calories = 806 (78% from fat, 17% from protein, 4.5% from carbs)

Meal #2 - 5 oz Steak
10 oz Spinach
630 calories from Ghee (7 Tablespoons)
-Total Carbs = 5 grams (Spinach + ACV)
-Total Protein = 35 grams
-Total Calories = 790 (80% from fat, 18% from protein, 2% from carbs)

Meal #3 - 4 oz Steak
720 calories from Coconut Oil
-Total Carbs = 1 gram (ACV)
-Total Protein = 28 grams
-Total Calories = 832 (87% from fat, 13% from protein, >1% from carbs)

Daily Totals
-Carbs = 15 grams
-Protein = 98 grams (approximately 1.2 kg of ideal bodyweight)
-Total Calories = 2,428
*Macro Breakdown* = 2% from carbs, 81% from fat, 16% from protein

Note* - Some percentages do not up up because of the remainders in each calculation.

The only thing that jumps out right away to me is that I might be under-eating calories by more than the 500 calorie deficit recommended. I do not want to experience a slowing of my metabolism as a result of going too low in calories so do you think I should up that by adding in a little more fat at each meal?

drjlocarb 06-06-2013 05:26 AM

I think your menu and numbers look great. I would keep it up for 3-4 weeks and see what the ketone numbers look like.

Your protein is on the low end of recommended, but I don't know what you are doing as far as exercise.

According to the keto-calculator, your BMR is 2100 calories so you are not that low on calories. Expenditure calories would be 2500 with no exercise.

I have to eat closer to or lower than BMR to lose, but my metabolism is whacked.

PeaceMachineGun 06-06-2013 02:58 PM

Thanks drj. Not really exercising too much, hence the low protein number.

I took my ketone level last night before bed and it was at 1.4 mmol! Although I had my dinner about 3 hours prior, and it was loaded with coconut oil so I wonder if that was the reason my number was higher than normal. I re-took the measurement this morning and it was .4 so just gotta keep plugging I guess. I'm having trouble with retaining salt. I'm taking close to 5 grams supplementally and sprinkling it on food but I still crave it and last night I felt terrible and added even more salt and felt better again. How much salt do you take?