Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: PeaceMachineGun
Clarification on Adapting

Hey Again,

So there is an interesting bit on YouTube of Steve Phinney talking about losing weight and managing calories on a ketogenic diet and I was wondering if what he said applies to when you are in the adaptation phase or not. Basically he said, just paraphrasing, that one's calories can be pretty low, in the 1400 range for a BMR of 2500 calories if your protein requirements are met and the remainder will be burnt off from your fat stores. This would not apply to adaptation as we need to eat the extra calories closer to that BMR in fat to stimulate our own ketone production, right? If we cut cals too early on in the adaptation phase we can prevent ourselves from getting into ketosis right?
PeaceMachineGun is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2013, 04:04 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Hi Clark.

Are you sure the 2500 calories was the BMR? That sounds like the expenditure calories.

The BMR is the amount of calories needed support your mass. Expenditure calories would be the amount to do daily activities and support your mass.

As to your question, I did eat closer to expenditure calories and 80% fat until blood ketones were firmly in the keto-adapted range of 0.5-3.0. Then I dropped fat (calories) closer to BMR in order to let my body use my fat for part of my expenditure calories.
drjlocarb is online now   Reply With Quote