Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #151
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
Kathy try typing it in as 1 word: ribeye, instead. Some of the trackers are picky
And you can always go to http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list the FDA based site

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2013, 02:54 PM   #152
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: iamkathy01
Stats: 147/125.5/???
WOE: Was Low Carb/Now NK
Start Date: In the 90's!
Thanks Dottie, I'll try these!
Old 06-15-2013, 06:57 PM   #153
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hot Potato
Stats: 117.4kg/107.1/99kg (first goal)
WOE: LCHF/primal/NK
Start Date: May 2013
Hello all

I need a bit a reassurance!
I stepped on the scales this morning and I am 114.2kg. Two days ago I was 112.8kg!!

Rationally I know it can't be actual weight, but my irrational side is a bit panicky...

My eating hasn't changed. My urine ketones this morning were 4 (so in ketosis, yeah??)

I am day 21 or 22 in my cycle, so maybe it is water weight???

Soothing words would be gratefully received

Thanks
Old 06-16-2013, 04:57 AM   #154
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Potato View Post
Hello all

I stepped on the scales this morning and I am 114.2kg. Two days ago I was 112.8kg!!

Rationally I know it can't be actual weight, but my irrational side is a bit panicky...

My eating hasn't changed. My urine ketones this morning were 4 (so in ketosis, yeah??)

Thanks
Hot Potato!
The Scale lies and you know that- just hang in there. I'd bet it is water and soon you will WHOOSH!
Old 06-16-2013, 08:35 AM   #155
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: translationmx
Stats: 180/136 now 167/160.8/140
WOE: NK baby!
Start Date: Every day!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkathy01 View Post
Not many calories here? Kathy
My appetite and cravings for tons of food are GONE. I've tried eating more, but I just can't stomach more. I'm keeping track of my body fat % to see if I'm losing more fat than muscle. I'm looking for a facility in town with a dunk tank to get my body fat professionally measured.

Quote:
Hello all

Thanks
I'm pretty sure it's your cycle playing tricks on you. For me the urine ketones correlate very closely to my blood ketones. Jimmy Moore's wife is also doing a NK experiment, and hers do correlate as well. You can get a free meter with some free strips so you can test yourself. The American Diabetes site has strips cheaper than in other online outlets, I ordered mine from there.

Wait until TOM goes to step on the scale again. In the meantime focus on eating right. Those pounds and some more will be gone by then

I'm down 0.2 pounds from yesterday to 161.8. Almost out of the DARN 160s!! I just did my caliper measurements for this week. I'm down to 30.57%, lost 0.99% body fat. According to my results I lost 3.05 pounds of body fat and 1.55 pounds of lean body mass, so it's all good! My body fat is now in the "acceptable" range so that's another thing I'm happy about.

My food yesterday:

B: sour cream with lemon juice and splenda
L: home made chicken stock with pico de gallo, chicken breast and avocado
D: Romano's Macaroni and Grill wilted spinach salad with shrimp
S: sour cream with lemon juice and splenda
1009 calories - 65gF/62gP/33gF/11gF - 58% fat, 25% protein
458 calories burned by exercise

I had more protein than other days, but I stayed under 30%

My ancestors didn’t claw their way to the top of the food chain so I could eat Twinkies - Mark Sisson

Last edited by translationmx; 06-16-2013 at 08:36 AM..
Old 06-16-2013, 01:31 PM   #156
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by catjrow3 View Post
Good morning girls, talk about stalled scales!! UGH!!

Its ovulation week for me, which usually means weight gain/stall, so I am trying to take it in stride and ride the wave and hope that i have a nice drop when its done.

as for the exercise talk, I am a major lover of exercise. I love love cardio, but have also cut it way back, for several reasons. I keep reading that more than 30 minutes is just stressful to your body and increases your cortisol level, which makes losing even harder, and also because I have plantar fascitis now, and my heel kills me. But I love kickboxing, Turbo Fire, Running, etc...

I am still walking every night, for 45 minutes to an hour... I have not done weights in a week or two, but plan to add it back in! Need to! I know. the more muscle, the more you burn even at rest. I have read all my brain can handle on the exercise/diet crap... always in an attempt to find the right thing for me and losing weight!! High intensity, short interval cardio is best (HIIT) sprints, etc... I exercise mostly because it makes me feel good. endorphins help my mood and good sweatiness makes me feel like I did something!!

So... as for the ketones... I remeasured again today 1.2! So I guess after my salad diabolicals I am back in blood ketosis too! Now if the scale would recognize this and drop I would be in heaven!!

My food yesterday:
B: Nothing
L: 1 cup lettuce w/Ceasar dressing and PB Fluff (PB/CC/HWC)
AS: 1 TBSP HWC in diet root beer
D: High fat chocolate Shake
ES: pork rinds/sour cream onion dip (and I tested a small slice of bread I made from Marie Emmerichs' Amazing bread)
Calories: 1131, Carb: 33 (17 net) (11%) Protein: 27 (10%) Fat: 99 (79%) Fiber: 16
Exercise burned: 910 calories
I don't do exercise for the sake of exercising. I do household chores mostly. I do not sit for very long at a time. I try to get up and move around most of the day. I think doing that is good for my circulation. If I exercise too much, I gain water weight, and my appetite goes up. I do not lose weight while doing too much exercise. If you feel like you need to move more, just get up from your desk every hour and take a 5 minute walk. Or even walk in place while stretching your arms. This will make you more productive at your job and refresh your mind.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:45 PM   #157
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Good morning girls, talk about stalled scales!! UGH!!

Its ovulation week for me, which usually means weight gain/stall, so I am trying to take it in stride and ride the wave and hope that i have a nice drop when its done.

as for the exercise talk, I am a major lover of exercise. I love love cardio, but have also cut it way back, for several reasons. I keep reading that more than 30 minutes is just stressful to your body and increases your cortisol level, which makes losing even harder, and also because I have plantar fascitis now, and my heel kills me. But I love kickboxing, Turbo Fire, Running, etc...

I am still walking every night, for 45 minutes to an hour... I have not done weights in a week or two, but plan to add it back in! Need to! I know. the more muscle, the more you burn even at rest. I have read all my brain can handle on the exercise/diet crap... always in an attempt to find the right thing for me and losing weight!! High intensity, short interval cardio is best (HIIT) sprints, etc... I exercise mostly because it makes me feel good. endorphins help my mood and good sweatiness makes me feel like I did something!!

So... as for the ketones... I remeasured again today 1.2! So I guess after my salad diabolicals I am back in blood ketosis too! Now if the scale would recognize this and drop I would be in heaven!!

My food yesterday:
B: Nothing
L: 1 cup lettuce w/Ceasar dressing and PB Fluff (PB/CC/HWC)
AS: 1 TBSP HWC in diet root beer
D: High fat chocolate Shake
ES: pork rinds/sour cream onion dip (and I tested a small slice of bread I made from Marie Emmerichs' Amazing bread)
Calories: 1131, Carb: 33 (17 net) (11%) Protein: 27 (10%) Fat: 99 (79%) Fiber: 16
Exercise burned: 910 calories
How do you make a chocolate shake? I USED to use Syntrax protein powder and Almond milk, just use some HWC in it????
Old 06-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #158
Senior LCF Member

Just wondering if you guys could tell me if you measure your ketones in mmol/L or mg/dL?? Ta!

Thanks for the feedback re: my gain. I am 113.3kg today so all over the place. It must be water

Last edited by Hot Potato; 06-16-2013 at 03:51 PM..
Old 06-16-2013, 04:35 PM   #159
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Just wondering if you guys could tell me if you measure your ketones in mmol/L or mg/dL?? Ta!

Thanks for the feedback re: my gain. I am 113.3kg today so all over the place. It must be water
I got the Nova meter for free with two strips. I measured a week ago and I was at 2.5/3, so well in the zone. I'm waiting for more strips in the mail. For me the figures kind of match with the urine ketones and the blood ketones, but it's not the same for everybody. Like I said before, Jimmy Moore's doesn't but his wife's does. I think testing is more important at the beginning, in order to figure out the sweet spot for protein and carbs

I knew that sudden weight gain had to do with your cycle. Darn hormones!!!

Last edited by translationmx; 06-16-2013 at 04:39 PM..
Old 06-16-2013, 04:41 PM   #160
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoknit View Post
I don't do exercise for the sake of exercising. I do household chores mostly. I do not sit for very long at a time. I try to get up and move around most of the day. I think doing that is good for my circulation. If I exercise too much, I gain water weight, and my appetite goes up. I do not lose weight while doing too much exercise. If you feel like you need to move more, just get up from your desk every hour and take a 5 minute walk. Or even walk in place while stretching your arms. This will make you more productive at your job and refresh your mind.
This seems like natural approach!
Old 06-16-2013, 05:21 PM   #161
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Clackley! Do you know what unit of measurement that is?? mmol/L or mg/dL??
Old 06-16-2013, 11:50 PM   #162
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: afuentes
Stats: 188/145/130 - I am 5'6"
WOE: Primal/low carb with weight training
Start Date: honest restart - 11/20/08
This thread is helpful- thanks for posting. I have Dr. Phinneys book and love it
Old 06-17-2013, 05:12 AM   #163
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Thanks Clackley! Do you know what unit of measurement that is?? mmol/L or mg/dL??
I believe that here in Canada it is mmol/L for both b.g. and ketones but in the States it is mg/dL for b.g..
Old 06-17-2013, 06:08 AM   #164
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I believe that here in Canada it is mmol/L for both b.g. and ketones but in the States it is mg/dL for b.g..
Thanks We use mmol/L too.

Where in Canada are you? One of my Great Grandfathers came to Australia from British Columbia.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:13 AM   #165
Major LCF Poster!

Super happy today. I lost another pound... and TOM is here!!! I usually gain a couple right before my period, so I wasn't expecting to lose any weight until next week.

I'm going to try to stay between 1200-1300 calories and under 30% protein to see how it goes. I started yesterday:

B: sour cream parfait (SC, vanilla extract, walnuts, splenda)
L: butter lettuce with deli ham and garlic butter
D: fried eggs with bacon, sour cream and avocado
S: crumbled bacon with pesto and sour cream
1262 calories - 106gF/54gF/17gC/6gF - 76% fat, 17% protein
460 calories burned through exercise
Old 06-17-2013, 07:43 AM   #166
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catjrow3
Stats: 240/177/150
WOE: NK - LCHF
Start Date: 05/18/2013 (restart of course)
Quote:
How do you make a chocolate shake? I USED to use Syntrax protein powder and Almond milk, just use some HWC in it????
Kathy, my high fat shake is
Heavy Whipping Cream Grade A, 4 Tbsp (15 ml) 180
Hershey's Cocoa - Natural Unsweetened Powder, 1 tbsp (5g) 10
Watkins - Chocolate Extract, 0.5 tsp
Cream Cheese, Kraft - Cream Cheese, Philadelphia Original, Brick, 0.5 oz 50
Add Ingredient

Per Serving: 240 8 1 24 73 2

I also add a little unsweetened almond milk and zsweet too..
I usually use 1 oz of cream cheese though and I add a tiny bit of vanilla... so these are close guesses of the values... but its high fat...! 90% using these totals...
Old 06-17-2013, 07:45 AM   #167
Major LCF Poster!

So I blew it this weekend. Not even sure why! Back to the grind today. Staying the course as of today and off the scale, as I am sure with the carbs my weight is up up!! I tend to put on water/carb weight like none other!! Dont even want to see it on the scale!!

Definitely out of ketosis though... started with a night out with my daugther and alcohol!! And I dont even really drink! boo for me!!

Hope you are all doing great and look forward to posting good things again in a few days!!
Old 06-17-2013, 07:46 AM   #168
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Kathy, my high fat shake is
Heavy Whipping Cream Grade A, 4 Tbsp (15 ml) 180
Hershey's Cocoa - Natural Unsweetened Powder, 1 tbsp (5g) 10
Watkins - Chocolate Extract, 0.5 tsp
Cream Cheese, Kraft - Cream Cheese, Philadelphia Original, Brick, 0.5 oz 50
Add Ingredient

Per Serving: 240 8 1 24 73 2

I also add a little unsweetened almond milk and zsweet too..
I usually use 1 oz of cream cheese though and I add a tiny bit of vanilla... so these are close guesses of the values... but its high fat...! 90% using these totals...
Oh Thank You! I just had a semi-similar and thought of cocoa powder, but did not put it in. I used a cup of almond milk, 2 ounces of HWC, vanilla and liquid splenda. Not bad, but I did not put it in the blender. I'll try this tomorrow. I really like COLD things in the morning and had been drinking protein shakes for years! Kathy
Old 06-17-2013, 07:48 AM   #169
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
So I blew it this weekend. Not even sure why! Back to the grind today. Staying the course as of today and off the scale, as I am sure with the carbs my weight is up up!! I tend to put on water/carb weight like none other!! Dont even want to see it on the scale!!

Definitely out of ketosis though... started with a night out with my daugther and alcohol!! And I dont even really drink! boo for me!!

Hope you are all doing great and look forward to posting good things again in a few days!!

Today is a new day! Don't beat yourself up!
Old 06-17-2013, 07:49 AM   #170
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Oh Thank You! I just had a semi-similar and thought of cocoa powder, but did not put it in. I used a cup of almond milk, 2 ounces of HWC, vanilla and liquid splenda. Not bad, but I did not put it in the blender. I'll try this tomorrow. I really like COLD things in the morning and had been drinking protein shakes for years! Kathy
I put in just a little ice and added the almond milk because it was too thick, used to not use that... but it helped with the thick part.... Its really filling. I have one of those blenders with cups and you dont have to use the whole big blender thing (like the ninja, but its a bellacini or something) handy for small shakes!!
Old 06-17-2013, 07:50 AM   #171
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Today is a new day! Don't beat yourself up!
Thanks, kind of hard to not to beat up when you feel like a puffer fish!! UGH!
Old 06-17-2013, 07:51 AM   #172
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I put in just a little ice and added the almond milk because it was too thick, used to not use that... but it helped with the thick part.... Its really filling. I have one of those blenders with cups and you dont have to use the whole big blender thing (like the ninja, but its a bellacini or something) handy for small shakes!!
Thanks! Will do! Might be called LUNCH today!
Old 06-17-2013, 07:53 AM   #173
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thanks, kind of hard to not to beat up when you feel like a puffer fish!! UGH!
LOL! Stooooooooop! I'm the one here that is UP almost a pound and I ate NOTHING!
Old 06-17-2013, 07:55 AM   #174
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
LOL! Stooooooooop! I'm the one here that is UP almost a pound and I ate NOTHING!
Not exaggerating, probably up 8 lbs.. *(but I retain water like a puffer when I eat carbs/sweets and I ate lots this weekend)

And its not "real weight yet" just water retention..
Old 06-17-2013, 08:08 AM   #175
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Not exaggerating, probably up 8 lbs.. *(but I retain water like a puffer when I eat carbs/sweets and I ate lots this weekend)

And its not "real weight yet" just water retention..
LOL, Okay you win!
Old 06-17-2013, 08:12 AM   #176
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
LOL, Okay you win!
LOL, I wish I didn't!!!
Old 06-17-2013, 08:30 AM   #177
Senior LCF Member

<sigh> I know. I am DYING for a glass of wine, but afraid it will throw me out of ketosis.
Whadaya think?

Last edited by iamkathy01; 06-17-2013 at 08:31 AM.. Reason: Wanted to add
Old 06-17-2013, 08:31 AM   #178
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
LOL, I wish I didn't!!!
<sigh> I know. I am DYING for a glass of wine, but afraid it will throw me out of ketosis.
Whadaya think?
Old 06-17-2013, 08:43 AM   #179
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Whadaya think?
No clue.. I am pretty new to all of this. I had a glass of wine last week or week and a half, and I think it did not throw me out of ketosis, but it was a small one.. Like 4 oz maybe..
Old 06-17-2013, 09:10 AM   #180
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
No clue.. I am pretty new to all of this. I had a glass of wine last week or week and a half, and I think it did not throw me out of ketosis, but it was a small one.. Like 4 oz maybe..
Maybe someone else will know, 4 oz is small!
Closed Thread