Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 02:59 PM   #91
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hot Potato
Stats: 117.4kg/107.1/99kg (first goal)
WOE: LCHF/primal/NK
Start Date: May 2013
Just wondering if you gals could tell me what time of the day you use your ketostix? I've been doing mine around 2pm in the afternoon. Is this okay?

Is there an optimum time?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2013, 03:50 PM   #92
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilbeetle
Stats: 165/127/125(5'4)
WOE: Primal with intermittant M&E
Start Date: March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
lilbeetle, you do know that 150g of meat is not the same as 150g of protein, right?

1 oz. (28g) of meat has about 7g of protein.

150g of meat would be about 5 oz of meat and 35g of protein.
Yep, and 150gm of meat is one serving for a meal.

The only way Im going to drop my cals is to substantially drop my portion sizes.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:38 PM   #93
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catjrow3
Stats: 240/177/150
WOE: NK - LCHF
Start Date: 05/18/2013 (restart of course)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Potato View Post
Just wondering if you gals could tell me what time of the day you use your ketostix? I've been doing mine around 2pm in the afternoon. Is this okay?

Is there an optimum time?

Many thanks
I do mine first thing in the morning.. well the blood ones... I do the keto urine ones several times throughout the day...
Old 06-10-2013, 05:51 PM   #94
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: translationmx
Stats: 180/136 now 167/160.8/140
WOE: NK baby!
Start Date: Every day!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by catjrow3 View Post
The bread was from MOnique in sweden or something... it was literally just one large egg, 3 tbsp of almond flour (or coconut flour), pinch of salt and 25g of melted butter. mix it all up and put in two small bowls like cereal bowls and microwave for 2 minutes. I used little 6 oz ramekins and then made it like an egg mcmuffin... LOL cooked up one egg and 2 slices of bacon and put it all together!
Sound super easy and tasty, thank you! It's good to have options to give menus some variety. I try to keep my meals as simple as possible, though I enjoy a good treat from time to time

Speaking of the ketone urine strips, I just tested and I'm in the deepest hue of purple... and I've drank close to a gallon of water today Just a few hours ago I got my free meter in the mail and I'll test tomorrow morning. Going by what I remember from the book, the lowest reading is in the morning, so if one is in the zone in the AM then it's all good. Wish me luck you guys!!

lilbeetle - I just refused to log my food, but I have to say it's a must. I kept gaining weight even though I was working out and eating low-carb. I started logging my food and restricting both my carbs and protein and voila! I lost over two pounds in a week, not counting a four pound bounce in the middle of the week. Upon starting my journal of meals I started to feel a sharp appetite reduction. It's kind of a drag at times, but it sure is worth it.

My food for today:

B: Cream cheese with crumbled bacon / Scrambled eggs with ham and butter
L: nothing
D: Water-canned tuna/mayo/raw cabbage
Snacks: 1 chicken bouillon cube in a cup of water/crumbled bacon with cream cheese.
1,431 calories- 115g F/73 g P/11 g C
506 cals burned during exercise

My ancestors didn’t claw their way to the top of the food chain so I could eat Twinkies - Mark Sisson
Old 06-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #95
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by translationmx View Post

lilbeetle - I just refused to log my food, but I have to say it's a must. I kept gaining weight even though I was working out and eating low-carb. I started logging my food and restricting both my carbs and protein and voila! I lost over two pounds in a week, not counting a four pound bounce in the middle of the week. Upon starting my journal of meals I started to feel a sharp appetite reduction. It's kind of a drag at times, but it sure is worth it.
What did you restrict your protein to? I skipped it at breakfast and just stuck to eggs, and made sure lunch was only i serving. I really want to give the appetite reduction the best chance it can get. Im back to induction as of lunch - I couldnt take the meat and egg any longer LOL

B: 2 eggs fried in butter
L: 1 ricotta crepe with a loose cup of iceburg, a small slice of tomato, 10z halomi, 100gm bacon ends, 1T best foods mayo, 1t pesto
D: 150gm sausage patties, 1c lettuce,tomato and something else - not sure yet
Old 06-11-2013, 06:01 AM   #96
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeetle View Post
What did you restrict your protein to? I skipped it at breakfast and just stuck to eggs, and made sure lunch was only i serving. I really want to give the appetite reduction the best chance it can get. Im back to induction as of lunch - I couldnt take the meat and egg any longer LOL

B: 2 eggs fried in butter
L: 1 ricotta crepe with a loose cup of iceburg, a small slice of tomato, 10z halomi, 100gm bacon ends, 1T best foods mayo, 1t pesto
D: 150gm sausage patties, 1c lettuce,tomato and something else - not sure yet
For what I gather from an interview with Dr. Phinney and the book, your total protein intake shouldn't be higher than 30%. Your carbs should be under 50 grams a day, and the rest of your calories come from fat, eating on a deficit. I've cut down my cardio, in favor of more resistance training. In the book it's stated that prolonged cardio can blunt fat loss.

This is me right now

I just tested my ketones and BS and... I'm right at 2.5, and my fasting BS is 83!!!!! Very happy about both numbers. I'll be keeping an eye on my caliper measurements to see how my body composition is changing. I'm thinking of adding protein little by little to know my threshold level to maintain ketosis.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:58 AM   #97
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

This is me right now

I just tested my ketones and BS and... I'm right at 2.5, and my fasting BS is 83!!!!! Very happy about both numbers. I'll be keeping an eye on my caliper measurements to see how my body composition is changing. I'm thinking of adding protein little by little to know my threshold level to maintain ketosis.
Jealous!! I tested again today and it says Lo.... not even a number! The only thing I have changed is adding back in salad.... think that would seriously kick me out of NK? Do you eat veges???

I was only doing HWC/PB, cream cheese, cheese, avocados, mayo, a little tuna, etc and was at least at 0.6... which is in, but not high...

Dont think I will ever reach 2.5 or 3!!! What are your daily menus like?? Really only thing I changed was eating salads the last few days!!
Old 06-11-2013, 09:09 AM   #98
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Jealous!! I tested again today and it says Lo.... not even a number! The only thing I have changed is adding back in salad.... think that would seriously kick me out of NK? Do you eat veges???

I was only doing HWC/PB, cream cheese, cheese, avocados, mayo, a little tuna, etc and was at least at 0.6... which is in, but not high...

Dont think I will ever reach 2.5 or 3!!! What are your daily menus like?? Really only thing I changed was eating salads the last few days!!
Thank you!

Sorry to hear your meter isn't cooperating. I think the trick is eating just enough protein to feed your muscles, but not too much so it gets converted into sugar by your body. The magic number seems to be at most 30% of your caloric intake. Like I said before, I noticed a very sharp reduction in my appetite within a few days of restricting my protein, even though I workout 60 to 90 minutes almost every day. Doing some resistance training also helps with the process.

I've been posting my menus. I keep things super simple and that has helped me so far.

I guess eating an entire steak is in the past for me... unless I start powerlifting! LOL!!
Old 06-11-2013, 09:20 AM   #99
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thank you!

Sorry to hear your meter isn't cooperating. I think the trick is eating just enough protein to feed your muscles, but not too much so it gets converted into sugar by your body. The magic number seems to be at most 30% of your caloric intake. Like I said before, I noticed a very sharp reduction in my appetite within a few days of restricting my protein, even though I workout 60 to 90 minutes almost every day. Doing some resistance training also helps with the process.

I've been posting my menus. I keep things super simple and that has helped me so far.

I guess eating an entire steak is in the past for me... unless I start powerlifting! LOL!!
I am not adding meat really though, only added veges (a salad at lunch with romaine, tomatoes and avocado)... do you do veges? My only protein is mostly coming from the dairy... (well, bacon and eggs... those are protein too) but not like steak or chicken too much
Old 06-11-2013, 09:23 AM   #100
Major LCF Poster!

Translation, so I read back, I dont see much vege in your life either... is that right? I am thinking that the salad is what kicked me out of ketosis.... still mild on the ketostix, but not the blood ketones... Do you think this is right?
Old 06-11-2013, 10:07 AM   #101
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Translation, so I read back, I dont see much vege in your life either... is that right? I am thinking that the salad is what kicked me out of ketosis.... still mild on the ketostix, but not the blood ketones... Do you think this is right?
I'm eating very few veggies right now. The egg foo young I eat frequently has veggies, and I've had veggie stir-fry a couple of times. Also, I like asparagus. I had some before I started posting my food here. The ketone testing is good because it allows to fine-tune your ratios
Old 06-11-2013, 10:14 AM   #102
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Cathy, it is my understanding that it can take several weeks of strict N.K. macros in order to become keto adapted and therefore register in the 'range' of more than .5 blood ketones. If you think you have your macros in line and you don't vary much, then just wait another week and then recheck. Some bodies are just more resistant to taking the change I think.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:06 AM   #103
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Cathy, it is my understanding that it can take several weeks of strict N.K. macros in order to become keto adapted and therefore register in the 'range' of more than .5 blood ketones. If you think you have your macros in line and you don't vary much, then just wait another week and then recheck. Some bodies are just more resistant to taking the change I think.
Cathy, thanks. The thing is I was in ketosis on the blood ketones, 0.6 (not huge, but in there) and then now i am out... trying to figure out why... the only thing I really changed was adding in salads at lunch, nice big green leafy ones with some tomatoes and avocado... and now... not in ketosis anymore... do you think the salad did it??
Old 06-11-2013, 11:10 AM   #104
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
The tomatoes could be the culprit.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #105
Major LCF Poster!

REally?? Not the lettuce, its still safe then?? I would like to have something green!! LOL
Old 06-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #106
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Others here may have other ideas, but tomatoes are technically a fruit and are probably not doing you any favors.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:57 AM   #107
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Hi everyone, hope there is a spot for me here.

I am very interested in NK, convinced of its many benefits in many areas of health, and am looking forward to starting. One thing is holding me ....when I was in ketosis before, there was that distinct odor around me, someone at work even commented on it. How do you deal with this issue? Is there anything that can absorb/eliminate it? I definitely feel self-conscious because I work in close proximity to students and other adults. My Summer break doesn't happen till July 3rd, but I would love to be able to start prior to that.

Staying on plan is hard. Being fat is hard. Pick your hard.
~*~*~*~*~*~
Miles walked since July 2013 - over 1,160 .....and over 2,500,000 steps

Last edited by Eliza_Jazz; 06-11-2013 at 11:59 AM..
Old 06-11-2013, 12:06 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
The tomatoes could be the culprit.
I agree, tomatoes are higher in carbs than desired. A 3-inch tomato is reported to have 5 net carbs.

Avocados (also classified as fruit) could also be something to look into. An average California avocado has about 3 net carbs per each, while a Florida one has over double that with 7 net carbs.

Both fruits are so delicious, though, and give salad such wonderful taste and flavor.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:33 PM   #109
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza_Jazz View Post
I agree, tomatoes are higher in carbs than desired. A 3-inch tomato is reported to have 5 net carbs.

Avocados (also classified as fruit) could also be something to look into. An average California avocado has about 3 net carbs per each, while a Florida one has over double that with 7 net carbs.

Both fruits are so delicious, though, and give salad such wonderful taste and flavor.
Thanks... but the avocado is also really good for fat, which is one reason to add it. I will stop the salads again for now, get back into NK... and then see where to go from there!! today.. I did have a tiny bit of avocado rolled in a piece of turkey with some cheese and full fat mayo! and CC/PB/HWC combo! something like 78% fat so far today!! Probably will take a few days to get back there at least! I will wait until Friday to test them again!!

As for the odor?? I dont think I have noticed one, but I can tell in my mouth, that tinny flavor/feeling... Not sure i have noticed it on my skin though. Will look to hear from others on that one too!
Old 06-11-2013, 01:20 PM   #110
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Cathy, thanks. The thing is I was in ketosis on the blood ketones, 0.6 (not huge, but in there) and then now i am out... trying to figure out why... the only thing I really changed was adding in salads at lunch, nice big green leafy ones with some tomatoes and avocado... and now... not in ketosis anymore... do you think the salad did it??
Being in ketosis and being fat adapted are 2 different things and although you tested in range briefly, that may not mean you have become fat adapted. How long did you get the .6 reading and was it first thing in the a.m. (or whenever you first start your day) and with an empty stomach?

I think it far better to go by actual grams of macro nutrients than to try and get rations correct. Your salad for instance, may have been within your ratios but the actual grams of carbohydrates could have been higher than you can tolerate at the moment. Remember that it is also total carbs as opposed to net. Are you using a food tracker and weighing your food?

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
Old 06-11-2013, 01:24 PM   #111
Chatty Cathy

Quote:

I am very interested in NK, convinced of its many benefits in many areas of health, and am looking forward to starting. One thing is holding me ....when I was in ketosis before, there was that distinct odor around me, someone at work even commented on it. How do you deal with this issue? Is there anything that can absorb/eliminate it? I definitely feel self-conscious because I work in close proximity to students and other adults. My Summer break doesn't happen till July 3rd, but I would love to be able to start prior to that.
Eliza Jazz!! So good to 'see' you!

I don't really think there is a detectable odor - at least in my experience. Your breath and urine may smell different in the initial stages of ketosis and maybe your sweat as well but once you are keto adapted you are no longer throwing off those type of ketones and therefore any different smells should be a non issue. Btw, I can't imagine what would possess someone to comment on anther person's body smell - how rude!! Just wear a bit of perfume if you are self-conscious and start now!
Old 06-11-2013, 01:32 PM   #112

Quote:
Eliza Jazz!! So good to 'see' you!

I don't really think there is a detectable odor - at least in my experience. Your breath and urine may smell different in the initial stages of ketosis and maybe your sweat as well but once you are keto adapted you are no longer throwing off those type of ketones and therefore any different smells should be a non issue. Btw, I can't imagine what would possess someone to comment on anther person's body smell - how rude!! Just wear a bit of perfume if you are self-conscious and start now!
Hi Cathy, great to see you too How have you been and how are those cute puppies of yours doing?

Glad to hear it, I want to start right away, but that has been one thing stopping me. Well, the person walked in the room and said that it smelled the way a person who had been drinking all night smells. Don't know what that means I wasn't the only person in the room but presumed I could be the source due to ketosis.

For the record, I never smell badly and take meticulous care of my personal hygiene

I've also been looking into things such as chlorophyll and activated charcoal as something that may help.

Btw, love this quote from your signature line:
Quote:
"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

Last edited by Eliza_Jazz; 06-11-2013 at 01:35 PM..
Old 06-11-2013, 01:36 PM   #113

I'm thinking of going to Costco and getting a huge number of boxes of Kerrygold butter. In your experience, is eating large amounts of fat from dairy sources OK?
Old 06-11-2013, 02:26 PM   #114
Senior LCF Member

I think it is the veges. Not because they are veges, but because the portion size could be too big. With my meat and egg fast over the weekend, plus only entry level (induction) veges since, I have worked out my 3 week stall was caused by eating too much of the legal stuff. I should have known it - Im a farmer and I fatten animals on grass, so why not myself on cabbage, lettuce, avos and tomato. So I am strictly following portion sizes - at least until I am much closer to goal, say 5 pounds.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #115
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I guess I'm a lucky duck in this case. I started eating low carb on May 3rd. I didn't log anything and I even gained three or four pounds. On June 3rd. I began logging my food and restricting my protein and today my fasting blood ketones were at 2.5

Quote:
I'd count my carbs. I'm going super low and will add them bit by bit to see how many I can eat.

Quote:

I have the metallic flavor in my mouth non-stop right now. I can deal with as long as I lose this goo

Quote:
I'm thinking of going to Costco and getting a huge number of boxes of Kerrygold butter. In your experience, is eating large amounts of fat from dairy sources OK?
I haven't bought any butter yet. I'll be going to the store today or tomorrow

Anyone has the Dana Carpender fat fast cookbook? Is it any good?
Old 06-11-2013, 04:27 PM   #116
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Being in ketosis and being fat adapted are 2 different things and although you tested in range briefly, that may not mean you have become fat adapted. How long did you get the .6 reading and was it first thing in the a.m. (or whenever you first start your day) and with an empty stomach?

I think it far better to go by actual grams of macro nutrients than to try and get rations correct. Your salad for instance, may have been within your ratios but the actual grams of carbohydrates could have been higher than you can tolerate at the moment. Remember that it is also total carbs as opposed to net. Are you using a food tracker and weighing your food?
Okay I had 0.6 for 5 days in a row, and then it went to 0.2 and then Lo on my meter. I always log my food, and keep track of everything I eat... I always test my blood ketones first thing in the morning, empty stomach, no food or coffee ... my carbs (not net) have been about 63, 35, 30, 42, then 22 for the last 5 days, not counting today. i dropped out of ketones the last 2 days... so the 42, then 22... but did not have tomatoes yesterday, just lettuce and avocado and ceasar creamy dressing for lunch... not sure if thats why my carbs were lower...
Old 06-11-2013, 07:44 PM   #117

Quote:

I have the metallic flavor in my mouth non-stop right now. I can deal with as long as I lose this goo

Anyone has the Dana Carpender fat fast cookbook? Is it any good?
I have the Kindle version of it and found the recipes and ideas to be good. It just recently came out.

Sorry about the metallic taste, that's never fun But as you say, it's all worth it.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:23 AM   #118
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Hi Cathy, great to see you too How have you been and how are those cute puppies of yours doing?

Glad to hear it, I want to start right away, but that has been one thing stopping me. Well, the person walked in the room and said that it smelled the way a person who had been drinking all night smells. Don't know what that means I wasn't the only person in the room but presumed I could be the source due to ketosis.

For the record, I never smell badly and take meticulous care of my personal hygiene

I've also been looking into things such as chlorophyll and activated charcoal as something that may help.

Btw, love this quote from your signature line:
Hi there! I am sorry to say that my senior girl died about 7 wks. ago. She was 16.5 yrs old and had a great life. It was a very difficult day and we miss her tons.

I would try to dispel any self consious feelings about smelling.I have a suspicion that it is a myth. I have never smelled anyone in ketosis as different and certainly not anyone who smelled like they were drinking.

I love that quote too. It gives a real graphic picture of just why not to.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:24 AM   #119
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning everybody!

Quote:
I have the Kindle version of it and found the recipes and ideas to be good. It just recently came out.

Sorry about the metallic taste, that's never fun But as you say, it's all worth it.
Thanks! I kind of thought that book would be a great addition to my collection right now. Dana is very talented and her recipes are to die for. Hey, my mouth taste like one-cent coins, yet I'm feeling like a million dollars! How about that?

Quote:
Okay I had 0.6 for 5 days in a row, and then it went to 0.2 and then Lo on my meter. I always log my food, and keep track of everything I eat... I always test my blood ketones first thing in the morning, empty stomach, no food or coffee ... my carbs (not net) have been about 63, 35, 30, 42, then 22 for the last 5 days, not counting today. i dropped out of ketones the last 2 days... so the 42, then 22... but did not have tomatoes yesterday, just lettuce and avocado and ceasar creamy dressing for lunch... not sure if thats why my carbs were lower...
It can get frustrating. I've read about people limiting their carbs to a bare minimum - 10 or 15 grams. Have you tried going that low? I envy people that lose tons of weight just by eating low glycemic stuff and cutting down some their carbs.

Quote:
Hi there! I am sorry to say that my senior girl died about 7 wks. ago. She was 16.5 yrs old and had a great life. It was a very difficult day and we miss her tons.

I would try to dispel any self consious feelings about smelling.I have a suspicion that it is a myth. I have never smelled anyone in ketosis as different and certainly not anyone who smelled like they were drinking.

I love that quote too. It gives a real graphic picture of just why not to.
Sorry to hear about your fur baby I love my dogs so much.

I have happy, very happy news!! I lost 1.6 pounds and I'm down to 162.8

Here's my food for yesterday:

B:nothing
L:Shrimp egg foo young
D:Shrimp egg foo young/cream cheese/Thai chili pepper sauce
S: 1tbsp EVCO/cream cheese with Torani raspberry syrup/1 cube shrimp bouillon
90grF/36grP/21gC - 1072 calories (that's all the food I could stomach)
475 calories burned through exercise
Old 06-12-2013, 08:34 AM   #120
Major LCF Poster!

Translation... do you make your egg foo yung or do you get it from a chinese shop?
Closed Thread