Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2013, 08:34 AM   #61
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kiliki78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy in Louisiana View Post
Hey Kristi, I feel so much better without the wheat or sugar. I try to keep my protein around 75 g and the fat up. Isn't it great to be able to be around cake and not crave it? Love it. Control is important.
Yes indeed! It was a moment of pure joy to know it did not have control!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2013, 08:38 AM   #62
Junior LCF Member

And of course there are doughnuts, sweet rolls and cakes in the office on most Fridays (like today) and I just smile and say "no thank you" with the knowledge that that stuff is pure poison to my body. I have a yummy avocado and prosciutto cheese rolls for lunch!
Old 06-07-2013, 08:40 AM   #63
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I look at those 'foods' in the same way.... poison. I also know that it would not take much to put me back on the addictive path that I fought so hard to get off of so some say, it takes 'strength' but for me it just takes knowing myself.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:42 AM   #64
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I look at those 'foods' in the same way.... poison. I also know that it would not take much to put me back on the addictive path that I fought so hard to get off of so some say, it takes 'strength' but for me it just takes knowing myself.
YES! I could not agree more!!
Old 06-07-2013, 08:46 AM   #65
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
WOE: NK
Start Date: January, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiliki78 View Post
And of course there are doughnuts, sweet rolls and cakes in the office on most Fridays (like today) and I just smile and say "no thank you" with the knowledge that that stuff is pure poison to my body. I have a yummy avocado and prosciutto cheese rolls for lunch!

Yummy!!!!!
Old 06-07-2013, 09:25 AM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: April04
Stats: 216/190/150
WOE: NK 80/15/5
Start Date: April 4, 2013
Quote:
Yes indeed! It was a moment of pure joy to know it did not have control!
Fully agree! I feel much more in-charge of my body and my ability to decide what to put in it. NK has given that to me.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:36 PM   #67
Senior LCF Member

It's been a happy day for me. Even though I went up in lbs, I feel so much lighter and in control of my body My stamina is up and am getting more done. I will be out of touch a little tomorrow. Computer repairman is coming. Keep up the good work.

Kiliki, we are all food addicts of some kind. Many times I have hid my chocolate bars to keep anyone from getting them. And they would!!
Old 06-08-2013, 10:20 AM   #68
Junior LCF Member

Hello Lindy :-) Coming to the realization that I had a food addiction was really hard to admit. If someone is addicted to drugs or alcohol, the body can live without it and giving it up completely is the solution. But food... we cannot give up food, we need it to live! The knowledge comes from learning what chemical make up in food MAKES us addicts (of course there is the emotional component as well) and that to be successful long term we should probably eliminate them from our lives. Even the cheat meal concept scares me at this point, but if I'm eventually in that situation I will cross that bridge then.

Until then, "Stay Calm and Keto On"!
Old 06-08-2013, 06:13 PM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Hi Catjrow, You sound very frustrated, and I can totally relate. You've lost a lot of weight so far, and You are obviously motivated to keep going. I'm really new to this, just about ten weeks under my 'slightly smaller' belt . But, would love to help if I can.

As or Fat Fasts: when I did a fat fast, I lost a few pounds, and then spent the next 10 days fighting to keep that loss, so that frustrated me. Maybe you're just recouping your FF loss?

When I'm not sure what's going on with a gain or bounce I try to stay strict with eggs. 3 egg yolks cooked in Kerrygold butter in the AM fills me up until dinner when I'll usually have decided eggs or egg salad.

Not sure if that helps and, like I said I'm still pretty new here, so tweaking the numbers, etc is not something I can really help you with yet. I hope you find what works for you, keep going, you're doing great!
Old 06-08-2013, 06:27 PM   #70
Senior LCF Member

For anyone looking at other's experience/results here is my progress so far on 9 weeks into NK 80/15/5. Based solely on calories in/out, keto calculators, etc I should be having 2 lb losses each week, but my average over the 9 weeks is fine with me. The way I'm looking at it is it's better then a gain or a stall.

Week 1. -6.0 lbs
Week 2. -5.0 lbs
Week 3. -0.0 lbs
Week 4. -1.5 lbs
Week 5. -1.1 lbs
Week 6. -1.9 lbs
Week 7. -1.4 lbs
Week 8. -1.9 lbs
Week 9. -1.7 lbs

Total: -20.4 lbs

I feel so fortunate to have found NK and the brain trust on these boards, it has helped me to FINALLY begin losing this weight and feeling in control. Thanks all you smarty NKers!

Last edited by April04; 06-08-2013 at 06:29 PM.. Reason: Total
Old 06-08-2013, 07:27 PM   #71
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by April04 View Post
For anyone looking at other's experience/results here is my progress so far on 9 weeks into NK 80/15/5. Based solely on calories in/out, keto calculators, etc I should be having 2 lb losses each week, but my average over the 9 weeks is fine with me. The way I'm looking at it is it's better then a gain or a stall.

Week 1. -6.0 lbs
Week 2. -5.0 lbs
Week 3. -0.0 lbs
Week 4. -1.5 lbs
Week 5. -1.1 lbs
Week 6. -1.9 lbs
Week 7. -1.4 lbs
Week 8. -1.9 lbs
Week 9. -1.7 lbs

I feel so fortunate to have found NK and the brain trust on these boards, it has helped me to FINALLY begin losing this weight and feeling in control. Thanks all you smarty NKers!
Cheese and crackers, April, that's fantastic. Keep the ball rolling.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:00 AM   #72
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the cheers, Lindy!

Over the last two years I had thrown in the towel on dieting, just resigned to the fact that my body would hold onto anything that I put in my mouth, no matter what it was. This WOE has put my body at ease and let it let go of some of the baggage. It feels great!
Old 06-09-2013, 07:02 AM   #73
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cherylmac62
Stats: 5'2 ~ 178/168/125
Start Date: May 27, 2013
Does any eat their exercise calories? My tracker says I'm supposed to, but that has always confused me. Keto calculator says my Maint calories are 2079, and I should eat 1379 calories. But if my workout calories are 445 calories wouldn't that put my actual calories at about 935 ish? I don't want to stall because of too few calories!
Old 06-09-2013, 08:02 AM   #74
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catjrow3
Stats: 240/177/150
WOE: NK - LCHF
Start Date: 05/18/2013 (restart of course)
Quote:
Hi Catjrow, You sound very frustrated, and I can totally relate. You've lost a lot of weight so far, and You are obviously motivated to keep going. I'm really new to this, just about ten weeks under my 'slightly smaller' belt . But, would love to help if I can.

As or Fat Fasts: when I did a fat fast, I lost a few pounds, and then spent the next 10 days fighting to keep that loss, so that frustrated me. Maybe you're just recouping your FF loss?

When I'm not sure what's going on with a gain or bounce I try to stay strict with eggs. 3 egg yolks cooked in Kerrygold butter in the AM fills me up until dinner when I'll usually have decided eggs or egg salad.

Not sure if that helps and, like I said I'm still pretty new here, so tweaking the numbers, etc is not something I can really help you with yet. I hope you find what works for you, keep going, you're doing great!
April, thank you so much for your trying to help. I have lost a lot of weight, but most of it was years ago, (I had actually lost almost 90 lbs on Nutrisystems back in 2009) and then stalled in 2010 and went on HCG/WW/Atkins/Paleo, everything and through to 2011 managed to lose and gain about 15... and then through 2012 to recently put on 30 lbs to get back to where I am now... I am an avid exerciser, but diet is where I fail and I think I cannot eat carbs, but I love them and want them!!! I actually started back on HCG and was not getting really anywhere and did a FF For 3 days and dropped finally some. One day of HCG diet again and gained... so went back on FF/or basically almost NK again (which I had tried in the past) and still trying to find my way around it and what works best for me. I gained, stalled for a few days and started dropping again. Kind of still moving now.... but still not sure of my "plan" maybe a bit more protein and then stay with as high fat as I can... right now I am about 75-79% fat... maybe thats okay? Not sure about calories and such though, but I fourth day in a row I am at least in blood ketosis 0.6, so thats something I guess... (maybe I am doing it right???)

Quote:

Week 1. -6.0 lbs
Week 2. -5.0 lbs
Week 3. -0.0 lbs
Week 4. -1.5 lbs
Week 5. -1.1 lbs
Week 6. -1.9 lbs
Week 7. -1.4 lbs
Week 8. -1.9 lbs
Week 9. -1.7 lbs

This is great April!! HOw many calories do you eat a day?? as I am sure that is part of the process, not just high fat right?? do you exercise?
Old 06-09-2013, 09:37 AM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Hi Cathy, thanks for sharing your story. I feel like I've been exactly where you are right now. But, it sounds like things are going in a good direction, great news!

I'm a daily weigher, so I get frustrated when there is not a little drop each day. But, I'm committed to sticking to this plan and tweaking my own experience to where it feels right for me. Also I'm committed to listening to my body (now that I feel I can trust it) and sticking to at least 10 days of trying a certain thing before I make a major change.

Here is a mostly typical day for me:
Calories 1332
Fat 98.1 g 68%
Carbs 2.5 g 1%
Sodium 1417 mg
Protein 100.8 g 30%
Water 68 fl oz

I try to eat about 1,200-1,600 calories depending on my appetite. I am not exercising at the moment, however I am really active with two young children, and spend about two hours per day on chores, walks, etc So, I'm fairly active, just not at the gym just yet. I'm hoping to add scheduled exercise in a week or two and see how that goes.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:51 AM   #76
Senior LCF Member

Hey Cathy and April.
You ladies are doing so well. Keep positive on this. It will come. I've been trying to lose the last pound I gained this week and today when I went to weigh I had lost 2 lbs. Lowest ever at 228. And it hasn't been easy or quick.
My program is not quite NK. It's more moderate carb 75-100 with protein at 75 and calories around 1400. I don't lose as quick but the weight is coming off and I feel better. I post on the other plans forum / Perfect Health diet. Check it out if you wish.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:55 AM   #77
Major LCF Poster!

Carbs hate me though. If I eat higher, I crave them horribly and want more and more...

I am trying to stay positive too... its hard. I need to see movement too, like April, and I am also a daily weigher, but learning to give it a few days as things "work out in the wash" sometimes. I find it discouraging though. I am hoping for continued movement down, to keep my spirits up for not eating the foods I love ... I want to be thinner, more than I want that cake!! REALLY... LOL
Old 06-09-2013, 07:34 PM   #78
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: translationmx
Stats: 180/136 now 167/160.8/140
WOE: NK baby!
Start Date: Every day!!
Quote:
Honestly, sweetie, this looks terrific. I had a terrible time getting my protein up and had to resort to cottage cheese. Not too many calories but a lot of protein.

Thank you Lindy!! I thought logging my food was going to be a major drag, but I kind of like it.

Way to go with your weight loss April! I hope I get to equal your success

Honestly I have to force myself to eat. I'll post my food for the last few days tomorrow. Today I ate just some Cuban style pork asado and a fat bomb. I had to make the fat bomb super tasty in order to be able to finish it.

To second everybody's thoughts, I too feel empowered eating this way. Food is my farthest thought, and day by day I feel more mental clarity and this crazy surge of energy. I'm looking forward to getting my meter and seeing what my blood figures are.

I'll weight myself tomorrow... I'm hoping for a loss!!

My ancestors didn’t claw their way to the top of the food chain so I could eat Twinkies - Mark Sisson
Old 06-09-2013, 08:06 PM   #79
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilbeetle
Stats: 165/127/125(5'4)
WOE: Primal with intermittant M&E
Start Date: March 2013
I envy you guys that get total lack of hunger. Im not ravenous, but I am still definatly interested in food and still require meals at pre allocated times. I think Ive had the nausea/lack of interest maybe 3 times since I started LC.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:08 AM   #80
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Hey Cathy and April.
You ladies are doing so well. Keep positive on this. It will come. I've been trying to lose the last pound I gained this week and today when I went to weigh I had lost 2 lbs. Lowest ever at 228. And it hasn't been easy or quick.
My program is not quite NK. It's more moderate carb 75-100 with protein at 75 and calories around 1400. I don't lose as quick but the weight is coming off and I feel better. I post on the other plans forum / Perfect Health diet. Check it out if you wish.
Lindy, I mean this in the most supportive and non-critical way but I have to ask; how did you end up posting on a thread that's main interest is getting and staying in ketosis through a specific way of eating when you don't share that objective?

Btw, I think the 'perfect health diet' is just fine for many people and it apparently is great for you, but it just isn't N.K.and has some contrary philosophies.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:54 AM   #81
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeetle View Post
I envy you guys that get total lack of hunger. Im not ravenous, but I am still definatly interested in food and still require meals at pre allocated times. I think Ive had the nausea/lack of interest maybe 3 times since I started LC.
It's just so weird for me to have to force myself to eat at times. Yesterday I had to have a fat bomb just because I knew I had eaten just once, and mostly protein, so I definitely needed to get some more fat in to improve my ratios. I guess the hunger-free thing comes at different points in time for everybody. With regular low carb I still needed to eat frequently, but now I understand that it's fairly likely I was eating too many calories and protein.

This is what I've been eating the past few days:

5/7
B:Shrimp bouillon in hot water with 4 oz cream cheese
L: Puerto Rican style carne frita pork
D: nothing
Snacks:2 oz cream cheese
1368 cals -102 gr F/91 gr. P/10 gr. C
520 cals burned during exercise

5/8
B:Shrimp bouillon in hot water
L:nothing
D: Fuddrucker's 1/3# bacon cheddar burger/ 1 cup lettuce/ 3.5 tbsp mayo
S:Baked ham+Swiss cheese/ 1 tbsp walnut oil
1428 cals- 90 gr F/92 gr. P/13 gr. C
721 cals burned during exercise

5/9
B: nothing
L: Cuban style lechon asado (pork)
D: Fat bomb - EVCO/heavy whipping cream/cocoa powder/chili flakes
746 cals - 60 gr F/47 gr. P/9 gr. C
No exercise for the day

I need to see how my ratios are working for me in terms of ketosis in my blood. I know ketostiks aren't very reliable, but a few weeks back they weren't showing any purple, and now I'm in the deepest level, so at least that's reassuring for the moment.

My husband and I did the body fat measurement with calipers yesterday and I'm at 31.56%. I'll be repeating it every week, if not every two weeks. I lost [insert drumroll here!!!] 2.2 pounds!!! I started at 166.66, then my weight shot up to 168.4 around mid-week, so I'm very happy with this result.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:25 AM   #82
Major LCF Poster!

So this morning I was out of blood ketosis... boo! Only 0.2. Not sure what I did wrong yesterday... I was like 76% fat I think...

Basically our NK is also called the Scandavian diet! OR LCHF... I was reading alot about it on the internet this weekend.

Lets hope tomorrow is better for me in the ketosis arena!!
Old 06-10-2013, 08:18 AM   #83
Major LCF Poster!

Forgot to add - right now I'm at 164.4

Sorry to hear your ketones were low Cathy. How long have you been on this WOE? I´m still waiting for my meter
Old 06-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #84
Major LCF Poster!

Not a long time translation... about 10 days maybe?? maybe a little less. But I read and researched it before and tried it for a few days and then stopped a while ago. Kind of came back to it with HCG and a fat fast... and really I think my body likes this way better, as carbs are not my friends.... this way I dont really crave them too much! But still learning about the eating and such. Miss my veges/fruits especially.... and froyo!! LOL NOt sure what kicked me out yesterday still...

Started this morning with a high fat, but high calorie breakfast of bread made with almond flour and butter... and then bacon with an egg... yummy, 80% fat, but 489 calories what??? Lordy!
Old 06-10-2013, 09:13 AM   #85
Major LCF Poster!

Ooooooh that breakfast sounds yummo!!! - Which recipe for the bread do you use? I've already had some cream cheese with crumbled bacon, since I ate very little yesterday and I'll be doing my AM workout in a bit.

I just heard an interview with Dr. Finney (sp), one of the authors of the book, that Clackley posted some time ago, and he says that keto adaptation can take upwards to a month for some folks, so I guess it's a matter of gauging how you feel and being patient - which personally isn't my best suit! LOL!

I definitely like the lack of hunger and cravings I experienced almost from the get-go, so much I don't mind the funky taste I feel in my mouth all the time!
Old 06-10-2013, 09:59 AM   #86
Junior LCF Member

Happy Monday all! I saw catjrow3 talk about blood ketones; how many of you test for these? Would you say it gives you more information than just staying in your carb range for the day?
Old 06-10-2013, 11:14 AM   #87
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by translationmx View Post
Ooooooh that breakfast sounds yummo!!! - Which recipe for the bread do you use? I've already had some cream cheese with crumbled bacon, since I ate very little yesterday and I'll be doing my AM workout in a bit.

I just heard an interview with Dr. Finney (sp), one of the authors of the book, that Clackley posted some time ago, and he says that keto adaptation can take upwards to a month for some folks, so I guess it's a matter of gauging how you feel and being patient - which personally isn't my best suit! LOL!

I definitely like the lack of hunger and cravings I experienced almost from the get-go, so much I don't mind the funky taste I feel in my mouth all the time!
The bread was from MOnique in sweden or something... it was literally just one large egg, 3 tbsp of almond flour (or coconut flour), pinch of salt and 25g of melted butter. mix it all up and put in two small bowls like cereal bowls and microwave for 2 minutes. I used little 6 oz ramekins and then made it like an egg mcmuffin... LOL cooked up one egg and 2 slices of bacon and put it all together!
Old 06-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #88
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Happy Monday all! I saw catjrow3 talk about blood ketones; how many of you test for these? Would you say it gives you more information than just staying in your carb range for the day?
Good question.. I have no idea! I think for me though it shows when I am there or not. When I do alot of protein, I dont even get in urine ketosis, and was not in blood ketosis... and when I started aiming for little protein and alot more fat, finally made it into both.... and started losing... weird huh? although its not consistent every day losses, but thats to be expected I guess..
Old 06-10-2013, 01:23 PM   #89
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilbeetle
Stats: 165/127/125(5'4)
WOE: Primal with intermittant M&E
Start Date: March 2013
well apart from the shrimp/fish stuff (ewwww) I could follow that. I know my calories are way high, and my protein is too. I actually got around to measuring 150gms of meat this morning. its microscopic. Given my struggle with hunger at the volume Im eating now, I am going to be interested in portion controlling.

I entered my stats into a keto calculator and it said I should not consume less than 1300 a day, and up to 1800 for best loss. Your 746 calories seems VERY low.

Today is my last day of the meat and egg fast. I am happy I had 'some' loss but it wasnt the result I was expecting. My plan is to stay on induction level eating for a wekk, then increase to NK-OWL. I will endevour to keep my cals between 1300-1800. My food tracker was set to 10:30:60, but I'll drop it down a bit more.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:51 PM   #90
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
lilbeetle, you do know that 150g of meat is not the same as 150g of protein, right?

1 oz. (28g) of meat has about 7g of protein.

150g of meat would be about 5 oz of meat and 35g of protein.
Closed Thread