Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 07:43 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
I can't figure out how to update my stats, but I reached a new low of 184.5 lbs at the end of May. Getting past the 15 lb milestone was my first goal, and it took a long time to get there.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2013, 03:32 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: April04
Stats: 216/190/150
WOE: NK 80/15/5
Start Date: April 4, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamt View Post
I can't figure out how to update my stats, but I reached a new low of 184.5 lbs at the end of May. Getting past the 15 lb milestone was my first goal, and it took a long time to get there.
Woo Hoo, Lisa!

I'm checking my book for that ice cream recipe today, thanks for the tip, Kathy. And will check out the Coconut ice cream on my next trip to the market. Not sure if I can handle artificial sweeteners, so I'll have to get the nerve up to experiment.

A 5 lb week Lindy? Awesome!!

I was hungry yesterday, not usual for me. I think I may make today an egg day so it doesn't happen again. Starting the day with three or four yolks fried up in some Kerrygold fills me for most of the day.

Let's show June what we can do, NKers!
Old 06-03-2013, 03:37 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

"That looks like a great couple of months! I feel the same way about NK. I started this for weight and health reasons, but I feel so great doing it that I really can imagine it is a full on way of life long past goal weight."

Fully agree, Rubidoux! I feel like a different person, like the old me. I have energy to do what I need to and more. I haven't turned the TV on in over a week because I'm so busy catching up with life. I'm feeling great and taking better care of me, and it's made me a better Mom, too. I want to stick to this WOE for life, I hope I have the discipline to do so.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:04 AM   #34
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Hello all! I am just chiming in to say that I was instantly intrigued by " Carb Free Cloud Bread Recipe" and did look it up. It is an oopsie recipe and is not zero carb. Boo. I am a big fan of oopsies but count the carbs that come in the eggs and the cream cheese. As one who has to remain below 25 net carbs, this is an important point.

April04, this woe is not hard or requires discipline after you have been doing it for a while. It has become 2nd nature to me ... it is just the way I eat - period. I am coming up on my 4 yr. anniversary.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
Old 06-03-2013, 11:15 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
WOE: NK
Start Date: January, 2013
Hello Kiddos, a very exciting time for me. Lost another lb to 228.8. I can't tell you how discouraged I was for 3 months and not much weight loss. Now it has finally whooshed and I'm losing almost daily.

Getting into NK seemed to start me off. I stay at home and don't have the daily temptations of the working woman. It does help. What I'm saying is don't give up, keep going and it will let loose.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:50 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
hi everybody. Nice to see the losses people are posting. To up the fat: If you can do dairy and count your carbs, something I do to get in extra fat is to drink some HWC(heavy whipping cream) with a few drops of vanilla and some liquid splenda. Amazing! Tasted exactly like vanilla ice cream without the work. I like to sip this as dessert. A couple of ounces is enough.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:56 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb34 View Post
hi everybody. Nice to see the losses people are posting. To up the fat: If you can do dairy and count your carbs, something I do to get in extra fat is to drink some HWC(heavy whipping cream) with a few drops of vanilla and some liquid splenda. Amazing! Tasted exactly like vanilla ice cream without the work. I like to sip this as dessert. A couple of ounces is enough.
Stayed the same today 228.8. But I will continue to eat healthy, whole foods and organic when I can afford it. I also drink my Big Red Zero w/ hwc and it's like a float. Delish.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:25 AM   #38
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cherylmac62
Stats: 5'2 ~ 178/168/125
Start Date: May 27, 2013
Happy hump day! I feel great! I have lost a total of 10 lbs in 9 days and fully expect that to cease very shortly! I have increased my activity, upped my fat and lowered my protein. I entered my stats on the reddit keto website and upped my calories by 200. My clothes are starting to get loose and I am over joyed! Haven't had a alcolic drink in 9 days! Loving this WOE!
Old 06-05-2013, 06:22 AM   #39
Chatty Cathy

Way to go Cherylmac62!!! KUTGW!
Old 06-05-2013, 10:50 AM   #40
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: elleng
Stats: 230/155/140
WOE: atkins/nk
Start Date: atkins:3/2010 NK 4/22/13
Hi everyone! Back from my trip to san francisco. It was such a great, relaxing vacation. Saw some great sights. Stayed lo carb and hi fat as much as possible without weighing my foods. I know I ate more protein than I should have, but still kept the carbs down. Brought ketostix with me, and checked almost everyday--managed to stay in ketosis, though low side. Got home and weighed myself. Best news--no weight gain! No loss either, which was kind of dissapointing considering all the walking and hiking but I really shouldn't complain. Back to weighing my food and staying within the macros!
Old 06-06-2013, 07:26 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Lindy, Lisa, Cheryl, Woo Hoo!!! I love al of the good news!

And Ellen, staying LCHF and not gaining on a vacation is a huge feat, WTG!! That takes a great deal of dedication and discipline.

Deb: I've done the same thing with HWC, but I cook it on the stove top with a 1/2 tbsp of natural cocoa, it's a wonderfully rich hot chocolate, and I eat it in tiny sips from a teaspoon. I'm off of it for June, but it sure does hit the spot!

CLACKLEY: 4 years, You are an inspiration! I hope that in four years time I can say the same thing. I'm hoping I can always remember how good I feel right now and keep this up for a lifetime of the health and energy benefits I am feeling right now.

June is off to a great start! I'm feeling good, the scale and I are on good terms. I'm keeping my 80/15/5 and it works for me. I did have to lower my calories a bit, but it's something I can live with. I don't get hungry, but get the feeling that I might like, "a little something more". But a cup of tea usually does the trick. Happy Day NKers!
Old 06-06-2013, 09:36 AM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catjrow3
Stats: 240/177/150
WOE: NK - LCHF
Start Date: 05/18/2013 (restart of course)
Hi everyone, I have been trying to lose with this method... Just finally reached 0.6 on the blood ketones (first time ever showing up in range)... but the last two days I have been up in weight! Yesterday was only 1200 calories, and 78% fat... and the day before was like 1600+, (too much I know) and 85% fat..

How do you all lose weight on this diet?? I am afraid it will be up again tomorrow!!
Old 06-06-2013, 01:57 PM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: translationmx
Stats: 180/136 now 167/160.8/140
WOE: NK baby!
Start Date: Every day!!
Hi everybody! I'm new to this WOE, though I've been low carbing for a while now.

I've had two disastrous years, gaining and losing the same 5 pounds. I'm hoping this WOE takes me back to the normal weight range for my height.

I've been watching my ratios for four days now, and my appetite is gone. Gone as in I had to have a protein shake last night to merely reach 1200 calories.

I'm 5'3" and currently weight 166.6 pounds. I'd love to get down to 130, but I guess 135-140 would be more realistic. I love working out, usually an hour at least three times a week, sometimes twice a day if time permits.

Is it normal to about completely lose appetite like that in the first few days? I'm waiting for my free meter, I'm curious to see how am I doing

My ancestors didn’t claw their way to the top of the food chain so I could eat Twinkies - Mark Sisson
Old 06-06-2013, 03:06 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catjrow3 View Post
Hi everyone, I have been trying to lose with this method... Just finally reached 0.6 on the blood ketones (first time ever showing up in range)... but the last two days I have been up in weight! Yesterday was only 1200 calories, and 78% fat... and the day before was like 1600+, (too much I know) and 85% fat..

How do you all lose weight on this diet?? I am afraid it will be up again tomorrow!!
Catjrow, looking good. You need to be closer to 1600 than 1200. Maybe 1400-1500. You don't want to be too low on calories as this may cause lean body mass loss rather than fat. Have you read any of the past 6 or 7 mo posts. I started in April and then went all the way back to last Sept. to get a LOT of good info from the thread.

We had more experienced people here at the time. But anything I can do to help....You might want to post your daily menus here with the totals on your stats so we can help out there too. You are definitely at the right place. Lots of support from the peanut gallery.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:19 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by translationmx View Post
Hi everybody! I'm new to this WOE, though I've been low carbing for a while now.

I've had two disastrous years, gaining and losing the same 5 pounds. I'm hoping this WOE takes me back to the normal weight range for my height.

I've been watching my ratios for four days now, and my appetite is gone. Gone as in I had to have a protein shake last night to merely reach 1200 calories.

I'm 5'3" and currently weight 166.6 pounds. I'd love to get down to 130, but I guess 135-140 would be more realistic. I love working out, usually an hour at least three times a week, sometimes twice a day if time permits.

Is it normal to about completely lose appetite like that in the first few days? I'm waiting for my free meter, I'm curious to see how am I doing
Translationmx, totally normal to have NO appetite on NK. Luckily you don't have a lot of weight to lose. I don't use the meter because I don't want the expense but a lot of people swear by it. I can tell you what has and more importantly what hasn't worked for me. I really had to work to get my protein up to 75 g daily. One thing they told me was to eat a lot of fatty meats. Pork, ground beef, etc. I was raised on chicken breast and had no idea that I had to get more fat into my system. Our percentages are different (See first page of this thread). My comps worked out to 75 g protein, 20 g carbs and the rest is fat. Up to around 1500 calories. And it does work.
Why don't you report in daily on you menu and stats?
Old 06-06-2013, 04:37 PM   #46
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy in Louisiana View Post
Catjrow, looking good. You need to be closer to 1600 than 1200. Maybe 1400-1500. You don't want to be too low on calories as this may cause lean body mass loss rather than fat. Have you read any of the past 6 or 7 mo posts. I started in April and then went all the way back to last Sept. to get a LOT of good info from the thread.

We had more experienced people here at the time. But anything I can do to help....You might want to post your daily menus here with the totals on your stats so we can help out there too. You are definitely at the right place. Lots of support from the peanut gallery.
I must question this advice on calories and the assertion that "too low on calories as this may cause lean body mass loss rather than fat".

Speaking from a ketogenic weight loss perspective, it doesn't make sense that calories are a factor in lean body mass loss. If one is accessing stored body mass for fuel via ketosis, it does not translate to using lean body mass unless actual starvation (no nutrition in the form of food). The body is use to using fat as a fuel source. Lean body mass is a last avenue for fuel.

A ketogenic state has many, many advantages and one that is that it is anabolic which suggests that building muscle is easier.

Last edited by clackley; 06-06-2013 at 04:45 PM..
Old 06-06-2013, 10:54 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
I think there's some confusion here. I second clackley's comment about LBM, but add that eating too few calories can slow your metabolism because your body thinks it's in starvation mode and starts trying to hold on to every last calorie in reserves. The good thing about a ketogenic diet is that it tricks your body into using your fat stores without going into starvation mode.

What you do want to watch out for is not having your protein intake too low - that can cause a loss of lean body mass (see the work of Phinney and Volek on the subject). If you get enough protein, and not too many carbs, you should do well.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:55 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: iamkathy01
Stats: 147/125.5/???
WOE: Was Low Carb/Now NK
Start Date: In the 90's!
How are you all making protein shakes?? I need to get a bit more protein in, but want to keep fat up! Thanks! Kathy
Old 06-07-2013, 05:14 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hot Potato
Stats: 117.4kg/107.1/99kg (first goal)
WOE: LCHF/primal/NK
Start Date: May 2013
Hi all

Hoping I can dip my toe in...

I am currently flirting with the NK way of eating. I guess I say flirting because I am having trouble fully committing

Nevertheless, I am eating more fat and less carbs than I ever have. This week carbs have been less than 20. Fat is up to 130. Testing my urine in the past two days has shown I am in ketosis.

My question is, i notice a lot of NK diets are things like a tbs of double cream and some cheese (for example) for a meal. I need more veg/nuts/etc than this (don't eat grains or sugar). Is this still technically a NK diet??

Thanks

Ps. Congrats on your successes everyone!
Old 06-07-2013, 06:11 AM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
iamkathy, I am not much of a shake drinker, so I have tried my protein poweder in a fat bomb conconction. I like it much better than drinking a shake. I was about to toss my protein powder as I just don't enjoy shakes. A bit chewey, but not bad, and I'll do again.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:01 AM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catjrow3
Stats: 240/177/150
WOE: NK - LCHF
Start Date: 05/18/2013 (restart of course)
Thanks for the few replies. I have read through and tried and read through all this before in the past as well.

I was doing HCG and then did a fat fast and then I thought about going to NK again instead. But like the last time, I am not losing on the high fat...

I am not getting alot of protein thats for sure... and definitely in ketosis, both on the urine (moderate) and again this morning 0.6 on the blood ketones, but no losses.

Not sure what the right formula for the losses are .... I do understand the lower calorie/starvation and slower metabolism part... but I am seriously resistant to lose weight, and if I dont see results, I am in constant battle to stop with my brain. I have been doing all this for the last 3 weeks, but with mimimal results. Not sure if its time to move on.... boo! I hate dieting!

Guess I was hoping for some good advice on the weight loss and NK...
Old 06-07-2013, 07:50 AM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: translationmx
Stats: 180/136 now 167/160.8/140
WOE: NK baby!
Start Date: Every day!!
Hi Lindy! Thanks for the welcome! I'll definitely be posting what I'm eating. It's always useful to have input from people doing a particular WOE for a while.

5/6
B: nothing
L: egg foo young - 3 patties
D: protein shake - 1 cup unsweetened almond milk/2 scoops primal fuel chocolate whey/1 tbsp roasted walnut oil
S: 1/3 cup crumbled bacon/2 oz cream cheese - 1 cube chicken bouillon in hot water
95g/66g/25g - 1220 cals.
831 calories burned through exercise

5/6
B: Denny's ultimate skillet - no potatoes
L: nothing
D: egg foo young - 3 patty / 210 grams veggie stir fry
S: 1 shrimp bouillon in hot water + 2 oz cream cheese
107g/56g/24g - 1318 calories
613 calories burned through exercise

So should I just eat to satiety? I'm having a hard time eating this much food as it is. I'm thinking of staying between 1200-1500 calories

iamkathy01 - I add some tasty oil to my protein shake. Roasted walnut oil goes great with chocolate. If you can find some good coconut butter that's another great option. I second the fat bombs, those are great to up your fat intake without adding much protein or carbs.

Last edited by translationmx; 06-07-2013 at 07:53 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 06-07-2013, 08:01 AM   #53
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kiliki78
Hello! I have been lurking for awhile and decided that I should finally jump in and introduce myself. My name is Kristi and I am in week 4 of NK. I followed Atkins years ago so the low carb lifestyle is familiar to me, but I've come to a point where I cannot control sugar and grain addictions without completely removing them from my diet. I love feeling in control! I knew things had changed when I recently made a birthday cake for my daughter and had no desire to lick the bowl or take a piece. This time I see the key is high fat and keeping the protein in check as well. I've enjoyed trying new recipes recently and just last night I tried out the cream cheese clouds!

I hope everyone has a wonderful day! Happy Friday
Old 06-07-2013, 08:16 AM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catjrow3 View Post
Thanks for the few replies. I have read through and tried and read through all this before in the past as well.

I was doing HCG and then did a fat fast and then I thought about going to NK again instead. But like the last time, I am not losing on the high fat...

I am not getting alot of protein thats for sure... and definitely in ketosis, both on the urine (moderate) and again this morning 0.6 on the blood ketones, but no losses.

Not sure what the right formula for the losses are .... I do understand the lower calorie/starvation and slower metabolism part... but I am seriously resistant to lose weight, and if I dont see results, I am in constant battle to stop with my brain. I have been doing all this for the last 3 weeks, but with mimimal results. Not sure if its time to move on.... boo! I hate dieting!

Guess I was hoping for some good advice on the weight loss and NK...
Hang in there Cathy. You have done so well on your journey. Don't get too upset at not losing fast. If NK does not work for you, something will. I definitely shopped around on different diets. Let us know how you're doing.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:20 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I must question this advice on calories and the assertion that "too low on calories as this may cause lean body mass loss rather than fat".

Speaking from a ketogenic weight loss perspective, it doesn't make sense that calories are a factor in lean body mass loss. If one is accessing stored body mass for fuel via ketosis, it does not translate to using lean body mass unless actual starvation (no nutrition in the form of food). The body is use to using fat as a fuel source. Lean body mass is a last avenue for fuel.

A ketogenic state has many, many advantages and one that is that it is anabolic which suggests that building muscle is easier.
Hey Cathy, with over 13000 posts I'd say you really know what you're talking about. Not going to argue about it, because like I said, other people have more experience. Only something I read and I can't remember where. No matter. Thanks for the info. All a learning experience.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:25 AM   #56
Chatty Cathy

Welcome Kiliki78!! I am a big fan of N.K. too. It took me a while to sort out what works and am still doing so as it seems to be a moving target. But one thing that holds steady is not wanting to eat sugar and grains. They have no power over me and that is a fabulous thing!!
Old 06-07-2013, 08:25 AM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by translationmx View Post
Hi Lindy! Thanks for the welcome! I'll definitely be posting what I'm eating. It's always useful to have input from people doing a particular WOE for a while.

5/6
B: nothing
L: egg foo young - 3 patties
D: protein shake - 1 cup unsweetened almond milk/2 scoops primal fuel chocolate whey/1 tbsp roasted walnut oil
S: 1/3 cup crumbled bacon/2 oz cream cheese - 1 cube chicken bouillon in hot water
95g/66g/25g - 1220 cals.
831 calories burned through exercise

5/6
B: Denny's ultimate skillet - no potatoes
L: nothing
D: egg foo young - 3 patty / 210 grams veggie stir fry
S: 1 shrimp bouillon in hot water + 2 oz cream cheese
107g/56g/24g - 1318 calories
613 calories burned through exercise

So should I just eat to satiety? I'm having a hard time eating this much food as it is. I'm thinking of staying between 1200-1500 calories

iamkathy01 - I add some tasty oil to my protein shake. Roasted walnut oil goes great with chocolate. If you can find some good coconut butter that's another great option. I second the fat bombs, those are great to up your fat intake without adding much protein or carbs.
Honestly, sweetie, this looks terrific. I had a terrible time getting my protein up and had to resort to cottage cheese. Not too many calories but a lot of protein.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:30 AM   #58
Chatty Cathy

Just goes to show how we all are different.... it was the protein that I needed to moderate and calories took care of themselves. Maybe it comes from having been on an Atkins woe for so long and assuming that protein and fat were equally desirable?
Old 06-07-2013, 08:31 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiliki78 View Post
Hello! I have been lurking for awhile and decided that I should finally jump in and introduce myself. My name is Kristi and I am in week 4 of NK. I followed Atkins years ago so the low carb lifestyle is familiar to me, but I've come to a point where I cannot control sugar and grain addictions without completely removing them from my diet. I love feeling in control! I knew things had changed when I recently made a birthday cake for my daughter and had no desire to lick the bowl or take a piece. This time I see the key is high fat and keeping the protein in check as well. I've enjoyed trying new recipes recently and just last night I tried out the cream cheese clouds!

I hope everyone has a wonderful day! Happy Friday
Hey Kristi, I feel so much better without the wheat or sugar. I try to keep my protein around 75 g and the fat up. Isn't it great to be able to be around cake and not crave it? Love it. Control is important.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:33 AM   #60
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kiliki78
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Welcome Kiliki78!! I am a big fan of N.K. too. It took me a while to sort out what works and am still doing so as it seems to be a moving target. But one thing that holds steady is not wanting to eat sugar and grains. They have no power over me and that is a fabulous thing!!
Thank you! My journey to a healthy body weight has been a journey of trial and error but most importantly listening to my body! Learning of my gluten intolerance thankfully lead me to removing grains completely, especially after noticing addictive behaviors with corn products. When I hid candy corns in my car and ate them alone in shame...well, I knew I was an addict lol
Closed Thread