Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   Dexa scan? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/805212-dexa-scan.html)

barrybush 06-01-2013 10:45 AM

Dexa scan?

I read about dexa scan. Is that's what you do to measure body fat?
If so, where do you get one? Does a Dr have to schedule you for it?
Pardon my not knowing.

SabreCat50 06-01-2013 12:49 PM

I believe that the main use of a DEXA scan is to measure bone density. So people being tested for osteoporosis might have one. Since I am of that age, I intend to ask my doctor for one WITH the fat distribution included at my next physical.

Glenn in Omaha

Ntombi 06-01-2013 01:15 PM

You can get it at the doctor's office, but there are also places where you can pay and get your body composition tested. Price varies widely. Google "DEXA scan (your city)," and you should find some results.

I get a hydrostatic body fat test done, which is just about as accurate, but cheaper. The hydrostatic test was the good standard until very recently, is accurate enough for me, and inexpensive enough that I can get it done a few times a year to check my progress.

SabreCat50 06-01-2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntombi (Post 16450221)
You can get it at the doctor's office, but there are also places where you can pay and get your body composition tested. Price varies widely. Google "DEXA scan (your city)," and you should find some results.

I get a hydrostatic body fat test done, which is just about as accurate, but cheaper. The hydrostatic test was the good standard until very recently, is accurate enough for me, and inexpensive enough that I can get it done a few times a year to check my progress.

Ntombi is right about the cost if you have to pay out of pocket. But my insurance will pay for one DEXA scan if the doctor orders it -- for measuring bone density.

I have had the hydrostatic test at my local university. The (possible) advantage of the DEXA scan is that it will tell you where the fat is located and how much.

Glenn in Omaha

Ntombi 06-01-2013 02:28 PM

I have had a DEXA scan for bone density too (covered by insurance, as I take a dangerous amount of steroids to combat MS symptoms), but it doesn't say anything about body fat. At least not the results I saw. My understanding is that the machine has to be told to look, and the techs won't do that without orders.

barrybush 06-01-2013 04:53 PM

How would I find out if a university with in driving distance does hydrostatic test? Is there a certain department you ask for?

As for the dexa scan do I ask for body composition?

Ntombi 06-01-2013 05:06 PM

I didn't go through a university for the hydrostatic test. I went with a commercial company. All they do is hydrostatic tests all day long. Again, if you google hydrostatic body fat test (your city), you should get some results.

Yes, for the DEXA scan, you need to ask for the body composition results.

SabreCat50 06-01-2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrybush (Post 16450538)
How would I find out if a university with in driving distance does hydrostatic test? Is there a certain department you ask for?

As for the dexa scan do I ask for body composition?

You might try googling "hydrostatic weighing 'your town'".

Glenn in Omaha

SabreCat50 06-01-2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntombi (Post 16450554)
I didn't go through a university for the hydrostatic test. I went with a commercial company. All they do is hydrostatic tests all day long. Again, if you google hydrostatic body fat test (your city), you should get some results.

Yes, for the DEXA scan, you need to ask for the body composition results.

That's good to know. I will have to tell my doctor to write the orders accordingly.

Glenn in Omaha