Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   New Here, A Little Guidance (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/805032-new-here-little-guidance.html)

PeaceMachineGun 05-29-2013 03:55 PM

New Here, A Little Guidance

Hey All,

I was directed here by a friend who used to post. I am on an NK journey that I started maybe 8 or 9 months ago and was hoping to get some feedback on what I'm currently doing to get into NK and how to stay there.

On many different occasions over the course of the last 9 months I have attempted to get into NK. Almost each time was a miserable failure! It didn't help that I was coming off prescription drugs and was incredibly unstable and just generally feeling horribly, even without delving into keto-adaptation. Long story short, don't try to keto-adapt when coming off drugs! I was consuming too much protein and scared of salt as my BP was already elevated from coming off the drugs. I firmly believe in this way of living as a means to achieving better health, and personally, I desperately want better blood sugar control (I have reactive hypoglycemia) and to lose weight in a manner that leaves me satisfied and happy. I used to be one of those people who ran 6 days a week and calorie counted to fantastic results. Thing is, it backfired and I ended up gaining any weight I lost back, and then maybe 30 more pounds.

Anyhow, things have stabilized somewhat and I am about 10 days into keto-adapting. My ketone monitor should be here any day so I can track exactly where my blood ketones are at. It is tough to monitor exactly what's going on without having that thing so I wanted some feedback from you guys for the next few days as I wait for the monitor.

I'm 6 feet tall and weigh 250 lbs. with my goal weight being 180 lbs. Based on Phinney's calculations from The Art and Science Of Low Carb Living that should put me at ~120 grams of protein, which if I am correct, is bewteen 17 and 18 oz.'s of meat per day. I have not gone over 25 grams of carbs in these last 10 days and usually I'm at 15g from spinach and rutabagas. I am filling in the rest with fat from Ghee and Coconut Oil. I have been tracking that too and it usually comes out to 1500 cals per day from fat. That leaves me at about 2000 cals per day and was wondering, after reading a little more from here, if that might be too low to start? I am pretty certain I am through the worst of the adaptation as I am no longer woozy or dizzy and my salt is comfortably at about 3-4 grams per day. I really appreciate any feedback, help or pointers! Thanks.

Clark

clackley 05-30-2013 12:53 PM

Hi Clark and welcome!

I am not sure what help you need? I might only suggest that you vary your menu in order to provide the flexibility and satiety that N.K. can offer. There are a few threads here on menu ideas.

PeaceMachineGun 05-31-2013 07:01 PM

Hey clackley,

So, I got my ketone monitor and have tested upon waking the last 2 days. Not good. Yesterday last I was at .2 millimolar and today I was at .3 millimolar. Obviously I need to change something. I'm thinking I need to down-regulate protein probably and shoot for 100g per day. My question is this: Since my ketones were not high enough to be considered NK, and I'm fairly certain for the last 2 weeks they have been this way since all my grams of everything have been the same, have I really even begun keto-adapting? I guess what I'm asking is, once I get ketones in that sweet spot will it be 4-6 weeks of adapting from that day or will my adaptation symptoms dissipate more rapidly due to the carb restriction going on for longer?

barrybush 06-01-2013 05:28 AM

You could post everything you are eating and drinking each day here and some of the more experienced members could give you helpful feed back. Everyone is different and our numbers can be very different. I had a real hard time getting into and staying In NK. To stay in ketosis .5 mM or higher, I have to stay below 85 g of protein and less than 20 total carbs. There are members here who can tolerate more carbs without an insulin response. I can't. The LCF forum members are great and they want us to succeed. Keep posting and never give up. You can do it. You just need to find what your formula is for your body. That will take time. This is a journey, not a race.

clackley 06-01-2013 07:13 AM

You say it has been about 10 to 12 days - no? It may just take you longer but if I were to adjust macros, it would be the protein. Don't forget to include protein in the other foods than just meat.

drjlocarb 06-01-2013 10:59 AM

Hi Clark, it took me about 3 months to reach NK blood levels. It may take you longer than 2 weeks to become fully adapted.

PeaceMachineGun 06-04-2013 04:26 PM

Thanks so much Barry! Is there a specific place where I can post what I'm eating or could I just do it here?

drjlocarb 06-04-2013 05:37 PM

You can just post here. That way all of your info is in one spot.