Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 05:38 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kristenaz
WOE: Low Carb
Feedback Please

Hello. I'm not sure if this is the right board for me but it seems to be the correct place as I am following a low carb, high fat WOE. Long story short, I'm no stranger to the LC WOE but I previously followed Atkins or just gave myself a limit of net carbs per day and ate within that limit. I've had success with this WOE in the past and know this is the right fit for me.

Can someone please take a look at my total caloric intake and percentage of calories from protein, carbs and fat? If you have any feedback I'd appreciate it. I'm a bit concerned that I'm consuming far too many calories to lose weight. I'm struggling to come up with a strategy for keeping my fat intake high while lowering my calories, if that's what I need to do.

Calories: 2,342
Fat: 69%
Protein: 25%
Carbs: 6%
kristenaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2013, 06:03 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: actionzen
Stats: 212/207/185
WOE: NK
Start Date: 4/21/13
How old are you, tall are you, how much do you weight, goal weight, female or make?
actionzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:16 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

If you don't want to supply your info, then you can download a spreadsheet I created that can help you get your calories and macro ratios correct. you can download it here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/eec1p0dpsxziw09/goLkZR0Zrw
Old 05-23-2013, 06:48 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Thank you. I downloaded the sheet you created and I am definitely consuming too many calories. I'm glad I posted today, hopefully I can correct this ASAP. Based on the spreadsheet I am supposed to be eating 1,604 calories per day.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

If I'm reading this spreadsheet correctly, I need to consume 147g of fat daily. Can someone provide pointers on how to achieve that while keeping my caloric intake at 1,604 per day? I'm unfamiliar with counting calories on a LC WOE (and I've followed LC for 10 years, off and on). I'd really appreciate any help.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Hi kristenaz!

It is a bit daunting in the beginning. I had more problems keeping my grams of protein low enough.

For breakfast I have 1 egg and 3 egg yolks, and 3 sausage or bacon. The eggs are cooked in butter or bacon grease. Some times I scramble them with cream cheese, sour cream, and/or cheese.

I eat fattier cuts of meat
dark meat chicken with the skin
veggies with butter, cream sauces, alfredo, or cheese sauces
salads with full fat dressing
nuts and sunflower seeds
coconut oil candy
cheesecake
savory cheesecakes
cream cheese or sour cream dips with raw veggies
taco meat with guac and sour cream

You don't have to eat a stick of butter. There are ways to add fat to meals and it adds up fast.

Last edited by drjlocarb; 05-23-2013 at 08:08 PM..
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:14 AM   #7
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
The other thing that was important for me was to use actual grams of protein rather than a percentage.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:01 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Thank you for your replies.

I'm supposed to consume 147g/fat, 88g/protein and 22/carb daily. I tend to be a 'borderline' perfectionist when I put my mind to something and it's driving me nuts that I don't have a plan in place right away. I can follow LC without a problem, I'm really concerned about exceeding my protein and caloric limit.

When I restarted a LC WOE 4 weeks ago my intent was do what I've done in the past- eat 30g of net carb per day or less. I've since realized I need more structure. I'm not sure that Atkins is the way to go right now, so here I am. That brings me to another question: If I follow NK do I count all carbs or net carbs?
Old 05-24-2013, 07:04 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Kristen, sorry, I had to run so I didn't have a chance to explain. You have to remember that these numbers are merely a starting point and you can adjust as you move along.

Anything in the spreadsheet that is in yellow can be adjusted. I think the top portion is pretty self explanatory.

The activity level is a multiplier which can be adjusted based on your exercise level. Google BMR activity factor and you'll come across this link: Harris Benedict Equation . It shows the following:

To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

As you can see the typical the activity factor starts at 1.2, which represents little to no exercise. But I've been searching the internet and found that in many cases that number maybe higher than expected and the reason why I start at 1.05. Listen to your body, you may want to start at 1.2 and lower it or raise, it all depends.
On the spreadsheet, I provide two methods for determining how many grams of macros you need to eat for your daily caloric needs.

The first is based on the macro ratios. For example, if you determine that eating 80% Fat /15% protein/ 5% carbs is what you'd like to try then method 1 is for you. You can also adjust those ratios for example so that you can eat 75% fat/ 20%/ 5% carbs or anything else.

Method 2 is based on a ratio of protein and the number of carbs you'd like to try. One of the NK methods is to eat between .8 - 1.5 grams of protein per kilogram of weight. So if you'd like to eat 1.2 grams of protein rather than 1 then change that number as well. As you can see you can adjust the protein per KG multiplier, which is called the protein factor in the spreadsheet. Also in method 2, you can determine how many total carbs you'd like to eat by entering the total number of carbs per gram, also called daily carbs per gram. So if you'd like to start by eating 35 grams a day, then enter 35.

This will get you started. I think DRJ and Clackely make excellent points.

I began by using method 2 and tweaking my numbers. I now use method 1. The important thing is to get started and stick with it. Post here often and the community will help out. The first couple weeks your body will go through an adjustment phase so stick with it and you'll have this moment where you'll know you're in ketosis. Go to Jimmy Moore blog the n=1, the diet doctor, etc.

If you have questions feel free to ask.

And if anyone sees anything i could change on this spreadsheet feel free to point it out. I'm not perfect and make errors. I do understand that there are areas that could be more specific, like basing protein on LBM, but that requires you to perform a dexa scan. Also there are couple of BMR formulas out there that could be used, but that also requires you to know your LBM. The spreadsheet is to merely help someone out that is struggling to figure out where they should be at.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:14 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Thanks, actionzen.

I found your spreadsheet really helpful. I did input all of my own info into the yellow boxes as explained. I'm glad I went back and double checked my information as I was incorrect about my daily calorie limit; it's 1765 as opposed to 1604. I don't know how I missed that but I'm glad I caught it early.

Per the spreadsheet, if I follow Method 1 will be eating 75/20/5. Should I go with that or follow 80/15/20?

Also, I'm not terribly active. I have two young children and I'm a SAHM.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:31 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I had to start weighing EVERYTHING for months to re-train my brain to the concept of allowable foods and portions when I switched from LC to NK.

I had been eating LC for years too and the whole concept of moderate protein, higher fat took time to figure out. I had the carb thing down pat, but the portions of protein were hard to visualize at first. Even things like eggs and cottage cheese would add up fast.

I had to work at the higher fat too.

Give it some time. Take a few weeks to track your food and tweak the portions to fit the numbers you choose.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:39 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
I had to start weighing EVERYTHING for months to re-train my brain to the concept of allowable foods and portions when I switched from LC to NK.

I had been eating LC for years too and the whole concept of moderate protein, higher fat took time to figure out. I had the carb thing down pat, but the portions of protein were hard to visualize at first. Even things like eggs and cottage cheese would add up fast.

I had to work at the higher fat too.

Give it some time. Take a few weeks to track your food and tweak the portions to fit the numbers you choose.
Thanks. It's reassuring to know that others have had similar worries/struggles and still became successful. I'm already in ketosis per my Ketostix (not sure if I want to purchase the blood testing device, I'm a diabetic and already test my BG 3-4x daily). Hopefully I can remain in ketosis while figuring everything out.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:40 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

High fat, low to moderate protein recipes?

Daily Menus-High Fat/Moderate Protein/Low Carb

Here are 2 links with menu and recipe ideas.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:39 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
Thank you
Old 05-24-2013, 09:52 AM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenaz View Post
Thanks, actionzen.

I found your spreadsheet really helpful. I did input all of my own info into the yellow boxes as explained. I'm glad I went back and double checked my information as I was incorrect about my daily calorie limit; it's 1765 as opposed to 1604. I don't know how I missed that but I'm glad I caught it early.

Per the spreadsheet, if I follow Method 1 will be eating 75/20/5. Should I go with that or follow 80/15/20?

Also, I'm not terribly active. I have two young children and I'm a SAHM.
I wish I could just say do 75/20/5 or 80/15/5, but it depends on what you feel comfortable with. Personally, i think it's better to start at 75/20/5 bc once you feel comfortable with that it's easier to eat more fat. Sometimes it's daunting to eat 80% of your calories from fat. Or you could even try 70/25/5.

Once you start stick with the ratios for a bit before adjusting. Adjust one variable at a time.

Also if you stall it may not only be the ratios, but the type of food you're eating, ie you may not tolerate dairy products.

If body composition is your goal, take some measurements, like waist, arms, legs and chest. Take it once a week and see how your body is changing. Weight is a bad indicator, but it can be used, but if you use it only weight in once a week. You may have lost weight and need to adjust your caloric intake a bit.

I'm rambling and getting ahead of myself.

You're going to do great.

Do you have dr. Bernstein's book? Since you're diabetic, you may want to read it and use his guidelines. I think he also goes into how to adjust your insulin. Also talk to a doctor that understands these procedures and is supportive of your decision. And who will provide you with a strategy for taking insulin and/or medication.

Good luck.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:03 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Thank you so much for the tips and advice. I really appreciate it.

I did better today, my totals were 80/17/3. It helped that I had several errands to run and was on the go, leaving little time to snack and whatnot.

I actually downloaded Dr. Bernstein's book and returned it after 4 days. It wasn't/isn't for me. I'm not on insulin and have lowered my oral medication to accommodate the fewer carbs in my diet. I haven't had any issues with hypoglycemia.