Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 12:01 PM   #1
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Thinking about being fat adapated.

I have been in ketosis for a long time now (going on 4 yrs.) with the possible exceptions of one beet eating disaster and perhaps too many carbs early on when I was finding my ccll.

Having been in that state for so long, I wonder if it is now the opposite as it was prior to becoming a fat burner. In other words, would it take some serious fat restriction along with upping carbs to become a glucose burner again?

I am not willing to do the experiment and am only musing but I would love to hear what you all think?

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2013, 04:13 PM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
no time at all. glucose ALWAYS gets burned first, as far as I know.

of course your liver tries to store glycogen too... so I don't know if you only ate 50 grams of extra carbs or something. but if you really started eating carbs, you would be back to "normal" glucose metabolism pretty much right away.

Last edited by ravenrose; 05-23-2013 at 04:14 PM..
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:29 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/287.2/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Right. Just like alcohol gets burned before anything, no matter if you've never had a drink in your life, the body has to get rid of the glucose before it gets back to burning fat.

My understanding of the difference is that after four years, your cells are adapted to burning fatty acids directly, so that you won't have to go through the long transition period of getting all your cells keto-adapted again. That's the advantage. But it doesn't mean that the body don't address the glucose first.

Last edited by Ntombi; 05-23-2013 at 04:31 PM..
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:49 AM   #4
Chatty Cathy

But do we know this for a fact? The thing is that most research and many things 'understood' come from a physiological state of glucose 'adapted'. I wonder if over time, this becomes different due to 'retraining'.

If it remains true, then is it possible, it is like alcohol (glucose) and the body immediately reverts to fat burning?
Old 05-24-2013, 01:20 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
I'm not sure if I will go back to eating carbs and switching to my brain using glucose for fuel. I am going to try it for a couple of years. There are some advantages, one being that it is easier to eat less calories and as I get older my BMR is going to drop, so if I want to remain thin, then I will probably have to stay below 50g. I can get away with eating what I consider to be fairly high carb though, and still stay in a ketogenic state. I do miss vegetables and potatos though. I can live without fruit.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:04 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Cathy, I think the body will always eliminate the extra blood glucose first.

High blood levels of alcohol and glucose are toxic and have to be metabolized, stored, or eliminated. Alcohol present in the blood will shut down gluconeogenesis and ketone production until the alcohol is eliminated, leaving a keto adapted brain without much fuel. The higher levels of glucose will trigger several hormonal feedback loops in order to drop blood levels to a more normal range.

We know about the problems with glucose tolerance tests (GTT) when you are on a ketogenic diet, and we know it may take 3 days to get the insulin machinery up to par before the test.

It would make sense that if you have been keto adapted for so long, you may be able to go right back to fat burning if you don't over do the carbs for days.

Likely, your body will fight hard to clear the glucose to keep blood levels within a normal range. But, whether your cells immediately revert back to being exclusively sugar burners or not, may be a question of whether the mitochondrial systems in those cells will immediately abandon the way they deal with ketones.

As long as you are producing insulin, you should always be able to be a sugar burner. All your cells are still exposed to glucose and insulin on a daily basis, even in ketosis. I don't think they ever stop using glucose if it is available, it's just that they can also use ketones readily when adapted.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #7
Chatty Cathy

Thank you for the explanation. I do think at some point, it becomes more like the body dealing with toxins (alcohol and the like) and once they are clear, it is back to ketone burning even if the toxin is glucose. It is somewhat reassuring in that if a bit too much carb is ingested here and there, it will not set the whole process back to step 1. I would test my theory but am too scared. Maybe sometime in the future.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:56 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Geekin' in Utah
Stats: 236(restart)/190/189/175
WOE: WLS & NK
Start Date: WLS: 5/2005 (362lbs), NK: 1/10/13
Glucose is toxic to your system if too much hangs around in your blood. That is why, once blood glucose goes up, fat stores are switched to "receive" mode immediately, so the liver has somewhere to put all the triglycerides it makes from that glucose to keep the blood from becoming saturated with it. If this didn't happen immediately across all systems, you would wind up with very, very ill, and possibly dead.

Of course, your body knows which fuel sources are potentially dangerous, and clears them first. First goes alcohol (fructose gets processed pretty much identically), then glucose (excess protein will get turned into this), then, last, fat.
Geekin' in Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:37 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Donamo
Stats: 165/162/157
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: May 15, 2013
4 years!

Cathy, that's a long time! Can I ask what your daily carb intake is? Do you blood test to confirm that you are in ketosis?

Thanks!
Donamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:17 PM   #10
Chatty Cathy

I only started testing blood ketones this past winter but found that I was firmly in ketosis with readings of 2.0 (and higher) fasting in the a.m.. There have been a few occasions that I feel fairly certain that I pushed the limit and went out of ketosis very briefly. It seems lik a natural state for me now. My carbs are around 20g and my protein is usually less than 55g.