Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2013, 06:55 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Fast Eddie
INSPIRATION:

Thanks for the comebacks on my first post. My wife's friend lost 108lbs over a year or so on the Ketosis diet through a natural weight loss clinic in Lemont,Il. She got help from them in the induction stage. She eats regular food- (no Atkins or nurtri /system prepared meals), no injections or "magic pills" that I know of----just smaller portions. Maybe I was, or am, jumping the gun but seeing is believing.This gave me the idea--High protein/low carb.= weight loss. Thanks for the support, Edward
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2013, 08:53 AM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
that was the old view, for decades. now almost everyone seems to believe it should be low carb, just enough protein, and high FAT. depending on your metabolism, anything more than your required amount of protein is treated pretty much like carbs. low carbers tend to eat too much protein. it's not a problem for some people, but others find limiting protein helps them lose or maintain much better.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:08 AM   #3
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
It seems that some folks, (myself included) that protein amounts did not have to be considered in the beginning (for me, it was a year). This has changed and my protein intake is considerably lower now. It is one of those changing variables. Since carbs are already low and now protein is 'moderate' the last micro nutrient (fat) must be higher.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:26 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
High fat is important in the beginning, to get the brain to switch to using ketones for fuel. Ie. you have to have circulating fat in order to make that happen. People that are leaner have more trouble with this because they have less stored fat, so their body tends not to release as much into the bloodstream. So for lean people, eating enough fat is significant. However once the brain switches to ketones, you can lighten up on the HF a bit and substitute a bit more protein and carbs, if desired. However it is a good idea to test blood ketones if you are going to do that just to make sure you have enough. There are other tricks you can do to get your body to release more of its stored fat, but to keep the brain happy the fat has to either come from your diet or from your stored fat. If you significantly overweight, fat release from the tissues shouldn't be an issue. If it is then you have to engage in some low intensity exercise and keep yourself warm to get it to circulate properly. Otherwise you will start feeling hungry.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote