Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2013, 05:57 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Fast Eddie
Need Advice or Help-- Ketosis diet:

I am 4 days into my 5th week of the Ketosis diet. I initially lost 8 lbs quickly.Then-- 3lbs. more-- VERY SLOWLY.I am now at a complete standstill and I still am not into Ketosis.I do have the urine test strips. I drink 120 oz+++ of water each day. No cheating ( beer,bread-potato's,goodies etc). I had heart surgery 10 years ago (mitral valve replace) I am on blood pressure meds,coumadin, &cholesterol pill (pravachol). I'm wondering if the cholesterol pill is preventing Ketosis. I've read "it takes 48hrs to 2 weeks to get into Ketosis". I am frustrated at this point. My starting point weight was 244--Now at 233lbs. again--- after almost 5 weeks.My goal is to weigh 200 or slightly under (I'm not looking for miracles). Any advice is greatly appreciated--Thank You+++I applaud all low carb. people---you are all my hero's. This is a tough Mental diet to deal with. Willpower&Determination Over-Rules all ! Edward
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2013, 06:11 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Eddie!

Congratulations on 11 pounds in 4 1/2 weeks!!

It is normal to have a large weight loss when first starting any LC type diet, a slight stall, and then a 1-2 lb loss each week after that. The body has to adjust to this new way of eating.

We can be of more help if you tell us what you are eating, height, and age.

What are your cal/fat/ptn/carb levels now? Are you tracking?

Keto sticks are not all that reliable as an indicator of ketosis.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:15 AM   #3
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Welcome! Great start. I wonder if you are following a specific plan? The problem with not doing so is that you can trip yourself up unintentionally.

The ketostix are ok for confirming ketosis but are notoriously bad for giving false negative results for a # of reasons. I would be more inclined to go by the actual symptoms of ketosis or use a blood ketone meter.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:22 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Some folks here are more knowledgeable than I am, but seems to me that losing 11 pounds in a month is fantastic. It is not a stall. The test strips do not always tell the story about ketosis. It's a good thing you are not looking for miracles, as the best course may just be to stay the course. Tweek where you can. Are you following induction rules? You can always post a menu and get feedback.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:19 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
In the beginning a lot of the weight loss is water weight and glycogen storage. It takes awhile for the fat loss to show up because the body starts storing water and glycogen again after the initial stage. I wouldn't worry about the numbers on the scale, just stick with the plan and it will happen.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:42 AM   #6
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
In the beginning a lot of the weight loss is water weight and glycogen storage. It takes awhile for the fat loss to show up because the body starts storing water and glycogen again after the initial stage. I wouldn't worry about the numbers on the scale, just stick with the plan and it will happen.
Not sure this is accurate. I don't see how glycogen would be stored again if low carb woe is continued. Please forgive me if I have this wrong.

The release of glycogen and fluid in the initial stages is most of the weight loss experienced to begin with but it is likely not all fluid and some fat loss would be part of it. If carbohydrates are low enough and protein is moderate enough, the body will continue to use fat stores as fuel and thus more weight loss. However, the fat cells can and do temporarily fill with fluid but this is a situation with fluid balance and nothing to do with fat loss. It is just confusing on the scale.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:00 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Fast Eddie
Thank You, Most Sincerely--Edward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
Encouragement is EVERYTHING in my book !!! A person on a diet or with a serious medical problem soon finds out who TRUE friends are (or like me --NONE at all)).You can't drink alcohol--If you attend a barb-q or a function, you eat a bland light meal and you're made fun of etc. I guess the best quote here is "He who laughs LAST---laugh's BEST" ! Back to business---I also drink whey isolate once a day for a protein BOOST. I limit the carbs to the minimum. ( I'm no dietician by no means )I drink 120 oz of water---- plus diet pop with my meals &coffee for breakfast. Nothing yet on the Ketostix. I'm now down 12lbs---tomorrow will be 5 weeks. I appreciate your thoughtfulness on the comeback& all others likewise---THANK YOU ALL . Getting ready for Memorial day !! YIKES !!! Edward
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:18 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Not sure this is accurate. I don't see how glycogen would be stored again if low carb woe is continued. Please forgive me if I have this wrong.

The release of glycogen and fluid in the initial stages is most of the weight loss experienced to begin with but it is likely not all fluid and some fat loss would be part of it. If carbohydrates are low enough and protein is moderate enough, the body will continue to use fat stores as fuel and thus more weight loss. However, the fat cells can and do temporarily fill with fluid but this is a situation with fluid balance and nothing to do with fat loss. It is just confusing on the scale.
Sorry, I didn't realize anyone had responded. Once many of the cells switch to being fat adapted, the body is able to store the storage form of glucose called glycogen back in the muscles and some of the other cells. I noticed some changes such as weight increase, after switching to LC even though I was losing body fat. But how long fat adaption takes I think depends on the person. It seemed to take me more than two months to become fully fat adapted. I kept struggling with low blood sugar and hypoglycemia. It wasn't as much fun as it is now
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:46 AM   #9
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
"I don't see how glycogen would be stored again if low carb woe is continued."

From everything I've read about low-carb eating (Atkins, Eades, Taubes), this is correct. The storage of glycogen only occurs if the individual eats sufficient carbs to go out of ketosis. The instant 'weight gain' that's experienced [and often confused to new low carbers] is from the water necessary for the glycogen storage.

Person who remains in ketosis doesn't store glycogen. In a TV interview I saw with Dr. Phinney, it seemed to me that's the basis of his book on low-carb performance for athletes--i.e., to convince them that they can compete effectively while in ketosis and that there's no necessity for the 'carb loading' that's commonly believed to be essential.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:50 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
I have to agree with Cathy and Leo.

You cannot store glycogen if there are no excess dietary carbs available for storage. The reason glucose is made from excess dietary protein through gluconeogenesis is because there is no glycogen available for use.

If it is true that we have glycogen stores available when in ketosis, can you provide a source so we can read that study or paper?
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:46 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Geekin' in Utah
Stats: 236(restart)/190/189/175
WOE: WLS & NK
Start Date: WLS: 5/2005 (362lbs), NK: 1/10/13
Eddie, can you post a couple days worth of food, including weights/amounts? It is easy for carbs to hide in your food. Having a food log is extremely valuable.

I also wouldn't suffer eating "bland" meals. Carbs are not required to make exciting, flavorful meals. I also wouldn't limit social interactions, just make those about the people rather than the food.

It is fairly common for people to stall after the first couple weeks (known as PISS [post-induction scale stall] on one board I frequent) as the body adjusts fluid levels and prepares itself for keto-adaptation. As others have mentioned, ketostix can be notoriously unreliable for measuring whether you re in ketosis. This becomes worse over time, too. If you have a personality that must know, get a blood ketone meter (they can be found for free, but prepare to pay for the strips). I am one of those.
Geekin' in Utah is offline   Reply With Quote