Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   Vacation and weight loss! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/804491-vacation-weight-loss.html)

clackley 05-20-2013 08:12 AM

Vacation and weight loss!

I am just back from a 16 day European vacation and am thrilled to find that I lost 1 lb... maybe more. Here is what I learned while travelling and encountering food options...

There is almost never a situation where I cannot find something that fits into my woe to eat and be very satisfied.

On those rare occasions that there is nothing really great, I prefer to not eat. Hunger does not sap my energy and fasting is good.

Beer gives me a tummy ache. I tried many times with the very same result.:sad:

Wine does not.

I have no regrets about the things I did NOT eat.

I arrived home yesterday afternoon and tested for blood ketones this morning with a reading of 1.9. I feel fantastic. I LOVE N.K.!

Mistizoom 05-20-2013 08:15 AM

Wow, impressive! Hope you had a great vacation!

clackley 05-20-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistizoom (Post 16432247)
Wow, impressive! Hope you had a great vacation!

Ha, ha! I forgot to mention that the vacation was fantastic. Went to the Almalfi coast (Italy) for a couple of days, then to Rome for 5 days, south of Spain for 7 days and then one more night in Rome. It was amazing!

drjlocarb 05-20-2013 09:19 AM

Awesome!!

UF is a great way to keep ketones high and lose weight. NK is great for keeping your energy level up when food choices are poor.

elleng 05-20-2013 09:40 AM

Nice job! Hope I do as well when I go to San Francisco next week!

Emmaline78 05-21-2013 02:35 PM

Well done..that is fantastic.and what a lovely way to finish off your hols! :clap:

kristenaz 05-23-2013 07:40 PM

I'm so glad I came across this thread tonight. I have been really stressed about falling off the wagon when we go on vacation next week. Thank you for the inspiration and congrats on managing to lose while on vacation :)

clackley 05-24-2013 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kristenaz (Post 16437991)
I'm so glad I came across this thread tonight. I have been really stressed about falling off the wagon when we go on vacation next week. Thank you for the inspiration and congrats on managing to lose while on vacation :)

It is the 3rd vacation that I have taken and had no issues -except perhaps unsolicited advice from well meaning family. Somehow they think that eating every 4 or 5 hours is mandatory. That is true if one is relying on glucose as their energy source but as we all know, that is not the case for those of us who are keto adapted. :D

elleng 05-24-2013 09:55 AM

Leaving today for my vacation. Going to san francisco--excited and nervous. Hoping to stay on plan-expect to stay closer to atkins than nk, though will try to keep the proteins down and the fat up! Would be thrilled to not gain, over the moon if I lose!

Susanpmi 05-24-2013 06:26 PM

Wow, that is so impressive! I am going to France (the land of croissants, baguettes, and pain au chocolat) in a month and I have been thinking that my diet would fall apart. But if you can do 16 days in the land of pasta and lose, maybe I shouldn't throw in the towel so quickly. I would love to know what kinds of things you ordered in restaurants and some of your tips and staple meal items. Thank you for posting!

clackley 05-24-2013 07:35 PM

I spent a week in Provence and 4 days in Paris in Sept. 2011 and ate low carb the whole time.skipped breakfast (aside from coffee) and ate lunch and dinner which was meat and veg and cheese.

I have no desire for the pastery thing as i know it will upset my stomach. Makes an easy choice. I carry nuts and some Lindt 99% chocolate but generally only use them during actual travel and not needed at my destination. I do indulge in the wines!

I LOVE France and Paris in particular. Have a wonderful trip!

Susanpmi 07-26-2013 12:11 PM

It turned out I ate a lot of carbs while I was in Paris. I can see how you can easily stay low carb there, but there were just too many temptations for me, including a certain salted caramel and banana crepe at a cafe near our apartment. However, we were walking about 15 miles a day, according to my fitbit, and so the accumulation wasn't too bad and after a few days back on plan at home, I was back where I was before I left (but not where I wanna be!).

shelby'snana 07-26-2013 12:54 PM

hoping to stay LC on our cruise. I hear it's easy, but we shall see :)

lovetoknit 07-28-2013 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clackley (Post 16432245)
I am just back from a 16 day European vacation and am thrilled to find that I lost 1 lb... maybe more. Here is what I learned while travelling and encountering food options...

There is almost never a situation where I cannot find something that fits into my woe to eat and be very satisfied.

On those rare occasions that there is nothing really great, I prefer to not eat. Hunger does not sap my energy and fasting is good.

Beer gives me a tummy ache. I tried many times with the very same result.:sad:

Wine does not.

I have no regrets about the things I did NOT eat.

I arrived home yesterday afternoon and tested for blood ketones this morning with a reading of 1.9. I feel fantastic. I LOVE N.K.!

So wonderful! I hope you had a great time. :)
Carolyn

Aomiel 07-29-2013 11:03 AM

Wow! Fantastic and congratulations! I was just patting myself on the back for getting through the weekend at a family reunion (and my old eating buddies). Not sure how I'd handle Italy and all that wonderful food! :D