Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 224/186/???
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: November 2012
Ketones staying high!

I started tracking blood ketones a week and a half ago, and so far, I've been able to keep well above my target range. (I was aiming for 1.5 or higher.)

I started out with an Atkins-style fat fast (90% of calories from fat, the rest from protein as much as possible - lots of cream cheese and macadamia nuts.) While this isn't something I want to do long-term, I knew it'd pretty much guarantee that I'd be in ketosis for the first reading - and, since it was likely the highest level of ketones I'd reach, I could use it as a benchmark to compare my later results against.

I didn't aim for a particular carb/protein count - I pretty much at three smallish meals a day, and then had another helping if I still felt hungry after twenty minutes or so.

After three days, my ketone level was a whopping 3.4. Time to start adding back new foods!

It seemed like every set of guidelines for protein that I looked at had a different recommendation, so I started by upping my protein to the low end of the ranges I was seeing - about 50-60 grams. (Plus the usual very-high fat foods, trying to stick to enough to keep off hunger.

A few days later, ketones were at 3.3. My stomach hadn't been grumbling, and I didn't have most of the usual signs of hunger, but I felt sort of unsatisfied. I wondered if more protein would help.

So I upped protein to 85-100 grams (in the range that Phinney and Volek say should be fine for everyone in The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living) and added back a small but welcome amount of carbs - a half-cup a day of tomatoes, which are roughly 2.5 grams net carbs.

(I was going to aim for 100 grams, but come dinner time, I usually didn't want enough of the protein food to quite hit that mark.)

And I once again have a ketone reading of 3.3!

I'm going to add in some more vegetables - given how far I am above that 1.5 mark, I'm thinking of going with the full 2 cups of leafy greens and 1 cup of non-starchy veggies. I like vegetables, and it'd add some nice variety to my meals.

I don't know if it's temporary, but compared with my last few months of counting carbs only, I've been losing weight faster. I'm looking forward to seeing whether that lasts over the next month or so.
biancasteeplechase is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2013, 04:58 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Bianca, it sounds like you have found an easy way that works for you! Enjoy your veggies.

Great job. You go girl!
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:22 AM   #3
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Just goes to show how different we all are. Great work!!!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote