Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2013, 06:40 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 224/186/???
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: November 2012
First ketone reading - 3.4!

I picked up a Precision Xtra a few weeks ago, but between travel and the like, wasn't in a good position to start testing.

I did three days of a very strict low-carb diet before doing my first test this morning, and was happy to see that reaching the 1.5-3.0 range shouldn't be a problem for me. (Going above 3.0 doesn't provide additional benefit, from what I read.)

I'm adding back more protein, and will test again in three days.

Here's hoping this helps me figure out what works best for me!
biancasteeplechase is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2013, 08:58 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
That's a great number! I have never gotten mine that high. I haven't had the money to buy more strips, unfortunately.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Fantastic!!

Can I ask what your numbers are? Grams?
drjlocarb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:34 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 224/186/???
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: November 2012
I'm not eating my usual low-carb diet - I went very high on fat (around 90% calories from fat) for a few days. I figured that would establish my maximum ketone level.

It might sound silly, but I had visions of not hitting the 1.5 mark, making a zillion different changes to my diet, and finally figuring out that was my personal maximum or something.

So I started off with a few days of cream cheese, macadamia nuts, etc., to keep myself at about 90/10 fat/carbs, and now I've started adding back a little more more protein. I'll test again in a few days and use the results to work out what level of protein (and veggies) is right for me.
biancasteeplechase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:18 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
I get high ketones too after coming off of a two day fat fast. And then the numbers stay high for a day or two after that. I am thinking of doing a fat fast once a week just to keep my ketones at a better level, because before they were just barely over the minimum level.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:22 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
I do worry about the low protein in the fat fast though, my last dexa scan which I did on Friday showed a loss of fat mass but also some lean body mass. I didn't have this issue when I lost weight before on a HC diet. In one of the books, they said that when you lose weight some of that weight loss is lean body mass, because when you get smaller you need less mass. So I don't know if the loss is normal. Doing a fat fast and being in NK means your body is in the catabolic state which means you will breakdown fat and muscle. The protein I think is supposed to prevent your body from doing that. However I notice that when I increase the protein my ketones go down.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:03 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
I like your approach bianca.

Keep us posted as to your numbers as you add things back. It should be interesting to hear how the grams of carbs and protein change the ketones for you.
drjlocarb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:06 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: actionzen
Stats: 212/207/185
WOE: NK
Start Date: 4/21/13
My last ketone reading was 3.4 two days ago and day 14 of my NK experiment. I decided to increase my protein to try to maintain my lean body mass based on my body comp measurements. I went from eating 80/15/5 to 77/18/5. Since my change, which was two days ago, my ketone levels dropped to 2.0 and lost 1 lbs. I'm in the zone and will hopefully continue to be.
actionzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sarahnya
Quote:
Originally Posted by biancasteeplechase View Post
I picked up a Precision Xtra a few weeks ago, but between travel and the like, wasn't in a good position to start testing.

I did three days of a very strict low-carb diet before doing my first test this morning, and was happy to see that reaching the 1.5-3.0 range shouldn't be a problem for me. (Going above 3.0 doesn't provide additional benefit, from what I read.)

I'm adding back more protein, and will test again in three days.

Here's hoping this helps me figure out what works best for me!
Grrr, why is mine not that high hehe. Well done!
sarahnya is offline   Reply With Quote