Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 02:38 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Frame Size

Part 2 of Darin's Information:

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin
Measuring Your Frame Size

Take your measurement on the forearm side (rather than the hand/finger side) of the wrist bone using a tape measure. Below are the various frame sizes per measurements for men and women. Once you know your frame size you can google 'height weight frame size chart' and find an appropriate goal weight for someone of your height and frame size.

Don't take it for granted that you are small framed or large framed. Measure it.

Women:

Height under 5'2"
Small = wrist size less than 5.5"
Medium = wrist size 5.5" to 5.75"
Large = wrist size over 5.75"

Height 5'2" to 5' 5"
Small = wrist size less than 6"
Medium = wrist size 6" to 6.25"
Large = wrist size over 6.25"

Height over 5' 5"
Small = wrist size less than 6.25"
Medium = wrist size 6.25" to 6.5"
Large = wrist size over 6.5"

Men:

Height over 5' 5"
Small = wrist size 5.5" to 6.5"
Medium = wrist size 6.5" to 7.5"
Large = wrist size over 7.5"

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2013, 02:39 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Low Cal

Part 3:

Quote:
('Dr. Julia Ross jimmy moore atlcx 19').

Here is what is being said at...

24:35

JM: "One thing I have found personally that has helped me is getting adequate amounts of fat in my diet. I think a lot of people when they start a low carb diet and they're brand new and they have never really heard about the high fat aspect of it. They neglect the fat Julia, and they think, 'oh well if low carb is good a low fat version of it must be better'. And that is a great way to doom it really fast".

Dr. Ross: "Doom it, that's right! Because now you are back to low calorie. And low calorie is starvation. Low calorie causes rebound weight gain. Rebound cravings. It is just a disaster area. But it is very hard for people to deprogram themselves from that dieting mentality. 'Hey the less the better. If protein will hold us and we can do without the carbs, lets get rid of the fat too'."

107:57
Dr. Ross: "...and what are the things that suppress thyroid function and interfere with it? Well, low calorie dieting. In 8 hours a real low calorie diet will turn down the thyroid. And then the question is will it ever turn up again naturally. For some people it will but then on the 5th diet it turns down and it won't turn up again.

1:11:37
Dr. Ross: [JM asked about subbing LC/GF foods for high carb counterparts] "...and then the second way is the under eating way 'Okay! I'll just get rid of it all and I'll just, just do the protein and the vegetables and maybe some fats' - That's where I find you know that starvation mentality trips us up so badly."

1:12:15
Dr. Ross: [eating enough] "...Some people just won't do it. They are just so low calorie diet programmed that they can't make themselves eat enough food. And it is so critical to eat enough. Because otherwise blood sugar crashes and we get these terrible cravings. So it is really important that we have enough protein enough fat as our fundamentals and then we move in on the healthy carbs."
Old 05-02-2013, 02:40 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Supplements

Part 4:

Quote:
Supplements
If you aren't supplementing start now. Here are a few tips on it to get you started.
Magnesium is a wonder mineral that has far ranging benefits. For LC'rs, on top of all of the other wonderful things it does, it also helps with regularity. It is a must. Go easy! Don't go full dose all at once. Ramp up to whatever dose you set for yourself. Start at 1/4 to 1/2 the RDA and slowly go up over a week or two's time. If you react to your dose don't panic. It will pass. Lower the dose and take a little more time. I currently take 2xRDA.

Google 'LLVLC-ep-602-morley-robbins' for an excellent free podcast about this very important mineral.

Potassium. Dr. Eades of Protein Power advises 4 of the 99mg pills while on induction and then 2 of the 99mg pills, I believe, afterwards. If you are experiencing cramps don't overlook pure water intake. Dehydration causes awful cramps. Google 'dr eades tips & tricks' for a good two part article about induction.

Take a multi-vitamin.

There are others that you probably should be taking daily too. Google 'atlcx-26-dr-jonny-bowden' for a free podcast that is excellent about supplements in general for LC. Jimmy Moore asks the fantastic question 'what are your trapped on a desert island choices' - CoQ10 made the list.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:41 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Part 5:

Quote:
Weight Fluctuations

To paraphrase the esteemed Dr. Phinney....

Everyone has a 'window' of weight. The body is fairly lax about how much fluid it retains at any given time and this is generally about 4 pounds worth.

Think of it as one of those horizontal lava doodads with the blue fluid doing a seesaw motion.

So.

You are kicking butt and shedding weight. You weigh in at the low point on the seesaw with your fluid balance low.

A day or a week goes by and you weigh in again. You *have* lost 2 pounds. *But* the seesaw of fluid is now at its high end completely masking your 2 pounds and possibly even showing a gain.

The next day you weigh in again, having lost another .5 pound off your body for real but the blue fluid has tilted to its low end this time and WHOOSH you see a 5 pound drop!

That is why daily weigh ins are interesting but if you happen to be blessed with a wildly tilting blue doodad you are gonna have baffling daily, even weekly, weigh ins. Depending on how fine tuned your way of eating is and how fast or slow you lose weight, Phinney even pushed it out to a full month of this phenomenon masking a net loss - 1 pound a week lost for 4 pounds total for the month but your lava machine is tilted to the high point and you see a disappointing scale reading. No weight lost on the scale or even a few ounces gained.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:42 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Dr. Phinney 1.0-1.5g protein

Part 6:

Quote:
On a Fat Burning Man podcast with Jimmy Moore about NK, Jimmy said that Dr. Phinney told him he leaned towards 1.0-1.5g/kg reference weight.

The exchange starts at 15:58 in the podcast.

"Whereas people like Steve Phinney, who co-wrote this book I was talking about, he says it is closer to 1.0 to 1.5 [grams protein per kg of reference weight]".

Google 'fat burning man Nutritional Ketosis, Trashing Your Scale, and the Dark Side of Protein'.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Aaaaaand... we're off!

I hope Darin won't mind me starting up the thread this month (and I sure hope he's okay!!) but now we have a place to post again at least... maybe next month we'll have decided on a change of name, but for now I thought it'd be best to leave things the same

Man is the formatting ever a pain in the you-know-what though when you can't direct quote someone! Curse you, locked threads! I had to do all that formatting by myself!!
Old 05-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
thanks rdr for starting the new thread. I just sent Darin a PM wondering if I couldn't find the thread because of a mysterious new name. Hope he's ok...

on another note, I began May down 1.5 pounds from last Thursday. Wheee!
Old 05-02-2013, 02:45 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb34 View Post
thanks rdr for starting the new thread. I just sent Darin a PM wondering if I couldn't find the thread because of a mysterious new name. Hope he's ok...
Aww no problem Deb I hope he's okay too, he's never gone this long... but I figured if he were here he'd want us to have a place to post our totals and chat, so I hope I didn't step on any toes by going forward with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb34 View Post
on another note, I began May down 1.5 pounds from last Thursday. Wheee!
Woohoo!! Congrats!!

Last edited by raindroproses; 05-02-2013 at 02:46 PM..
Old 05-02-2013, 03:04 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: elleng
Stats: 230/155/140
WOE: atkins/nk
Start Date: atkins:3/2010 NK 4/22/13
thank you melanie for setting this up--much appreciated!
Old 05-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: May60
Stats: 245.75/205/169
WOE: NK
Start Date: 2/17/2013
Thanks, Melanie for starting the new month out for us!! I, too, hope Darin is okay and will be back soon. As a newbie here, I have learned a lot from him and all of you!!

I want to say, I began this month down a lb too! This mornings weigh in 204!
May

Last edited by May60; 05-02-2013 at 03:52 PM..
Old 05-02-2013, 04:01 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Potaty
Stats: 227high/227now/150goal
WOE: LC + Exercise
Start Date: July 2013 (this time, LOL)
Hi all, I am day 4 on NK (waiting for my blood ketone meter to arrive, but I doubt I test too often since it's so pricey!) and down 6 lbs so far (I was really carbed up so not surprised).
Old 05-02-2013, 04:03 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

It was no problem, I'm just glad to have a place to belong again... I felt lost with last month's getting locked all of a sudden earlier

Congrats on the loss May! That's great!!

ETA: Congrats to you too Potaty! Wow, lots of great losses already this month. That's great!
Old 05-02-2013, 04:25 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
Thank you, Melanie! i forgot to post yesterday's log but ended the day at 1383 calories, 72 g protein, 111 g fat, 32 g carbs, and 12 g fiber.

My appetite seems to be under control now. I'm allowing myself a bit more carbs but still aim to stay under 40 total carbs. When I went off NK for a week I discovered one food I really missed was apples. I'm allowing myself half of an apple whenever I can fit it into my carb allowance, and eat it with cheese or nuts.

I've started reading Jenny Ruhl's latest book, Diet 101: The Truth About Low Carb Diets. She is not a doctor or scientist but has done a lot of research on LC, having followed the diet herself since the late 1990s. I like that she acknowledges some of the challenges in doing LC and gives tips on how to deal with them.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:45 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
Start Date: January, 2013
Good work Melanie, now we're back to normal. Missing Darin, but he will be in touch. My day was good. Went to visit a friend in a Nursing home today. She will be released in 2 wks and I'll be staying with her for a few weeks until she can adjust to being home. I'm really looking forward to it. She is my next door neighbor and later I can just pop over to check on her.

Almost 6pm and I haven't eaten anything today. I'm going to push to get in protein.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamt View Post
Thank you, Melanie! i forgot to post yesterday's log but ended the day at 1383 calories, 72 g protein, 111 g fat, 32 g carbs, and 12 g fiber.

My appetite seems to be under control now. I'm allowing myself a bit more carbs but still aim to stay under 40 total carbs. When I went off NK for a week I discovered one food I really missed was apples. I'm allowing myself half of an apple whenever I can fit it into my carb allowance, and eat it with cheese or nuts.

I've started reading Jenny Ruhl's latest book, Diet 101: The Truth About Low Carb Diets. She is not a doctor or scientist but has done a lot of research on LC, having followed the diet herself since the late 1990s. I like that she acknowledges some of the challenges in doing LC and gives tips on how to deal with them.
Aww you're welcome! I used to really love apples too, and oranges actually. I haven't added back in any fruit yet and I'm not sure if I will or not in maintenance either... I may try it out in moderation just to see what happens, but I'm having a feeling in my case it won't be good

That sounds like an interesting read by the way, I've never heard of it. You'll have to let us know how it is
Old 05-02-2013, 07:25 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy in Louisiana View Post
Good work Melanie, now we're back to normal. Missing Darin, but he will be in touch. My day was good. Went to visit a friend in a Nursing home today. She will be released in 2 wks and I'll be staying with her for a few weeks until she can adjust to being home. I'm really looking forward to it. She is my next door neighbor and later I can just pop over to check on her.

Almost 6pm and I haven't eaten anything today. I'm going to push to get in protein.
Awww that's so great about your friend! Sounds like you'll be having a busy but rewarding time when she finally makes it home

I hope you were able to get in some protein today at least... I know it's hard sometimes to eat enough. I would have never thought I'd be having THAT problem when my problem used to be OVEReating but I do sometimes
Old 05-02-2013, 07:52 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Half an apple is about 11 carbs and 2 g fiber. I told myself that I can have apples if I ditch the diet wheat products like LC tortillas.

Ruhl covers a lot of information in Diet 101, and I think it could help people who may be struggling on LC. Most of the books I've read on LC promote the diet as one that is easy to follow, and give the impression that weight will just magically fall off. That does happen for some people, but there are many others who struggle with it and wonder what they are doing wrong. I've been observing various LC communities on and off since 1999. One thing I've seen over and over is people posting about restarting LC, sometimes for the third or fourth time. This is my second go round at LC, but this time I feel like I've learned from my previous mistakes and know that I have to find a way to do it for life.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:01 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Not able to get enough protein in today. Totals look like

1186 calories
93.4 fats
23.4 carb
67.6 protein

Not good enough but ate way to late so will try again tomorrow. Stayed the same on the weight. Better day tomorrow. Night
Old 05-02-2013, 08:23 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamt View Post
Half an apple is about 11 carbs and 2 g fiber. I told myself that I can have apples if I ditch the diet wheat products like LC tortillas.

Ruhl covers a lot of information in Diet 101, and I think it could help people who may be struggling on LC. Most of the books I've read on LC promote the diet as one that is easy to follow, and give the impression that weight will just magically fall off. That does happen for some people, but there are many others who struggle with it and wonder what they are doing wrong. I've been observing various LC communities on and off since 1999. One thing I've seen over and over is people posting about restarting LC, sometimes for the third or fourth time. This is my second go round at LC, but this time I feel like I've learned from my previous mistakes and know that I have to find a way to do it for life.

Lisa, I have several pkgs of wraps, tortillas etc in the freezer. I have bought them before I realized I can't have them at all. Stops my weight loss dead. Even the one minute muffins w/flax. Nada. But I do like the idea of 1/2 apple a day or so. You can do the same thing w/ grapefruit also I believe. A good change. Fruit is so much better than grains for you. This is the best time of the year for fresh veggies. I love to eat a red tomato w/salt. Hmmmm

Maybe not grapefruit. 11 net carb for 1/2 of it. drats
Old 05-02-2013, 09:25 PM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: elleng
Stats: 230/155/140
WOE: atkins/nk
Start Date: atkins:3/2010 NK 4/22/13
Finished the day low--don't know how! Guess the NK has kicked in and blew away my hunger!
1418 cal
73% fat
24%pro
3%carb
Old 05-02-2013, 10:05 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Lindy, I agree that fruit is a much nicer treat than grains! I never cared much for flax muffins but I have made a few things with almond flour.

Today I had coconut oil in my coffee after lunch, and found that it did not trigger hunger like it does when I drink it on an empty stomach. Getting some protein first made a big difference in feeling satisfied. That was interesting because I have seen many suggestions to eat more fat if one is feeling hungry on LC. I ate a little more protein today but did not go over 85 g.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:34 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilbeetle
Stats: 165/127/125(5'4)
WOE: Primal with intermittant M&E
Start Date: March 2013
Hope you dont mi.d this interuption. Ive been lurking on the NK threads for a while to get ideas

I've been having a spoon of coconut oil first thing if I'm doing an early shift (4.30am start) and at first it stopped me feeling hungry until I got home at 9am, but now it only lasts until about 7am. Im wondering if I should increase the amount or not.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:52 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeetle View Post
Hope you dont mi.d this interuption. Ive been lurking on the NK threads for a while to get ideas

I've been having a spoon of coconut oil first thing if I'm doing an early shift (4.30am start) and at first it stopped me feeling hungry until I got home at 9am, but now it only lasts until about 7am. Im wondering if I should increase the amount or not.
You could try that if you'd like, or if you enjoy coffee or tea you could also try putting the spoonful of coconut oil in there with some butter or HWC as well. Caffeine seems to have a bit of an hunger negating effect in most people, which is part of the reason why bulletproof drinks work I think Personally, that's my breakfast most every morning over here... bulletproof tea with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, and 1 tablespoon of HWC.

That's actually a pretty long time to not get hungry, so it could be that it's too little of a "meal" for sure though. Do you know how big your spoonful is? I eat 1 tablespoon all by itself at night and that seems to help me get to sleep along with a couple other snacks.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:08 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: robbelkk
Stats: 263/168/150
WOE: Atkins, LCHF, NK, BFC
Start Date: Feb 2012
WOO! WI this morning 168! Feeling great! Ketostix show ketones, yay. Did IF yesterday and actually stuck to it! SO proud of myself! I def want to start implementing IF more often. I am going to try the 8 hour window on most days and eventually the 6 hour window.

I started my day today at 430a with 3 large eggs fried in lots of butter. thennnnn i had cream cheese with clear liq stevia and some cocoa so prob like 6-7 carbs total, woo!

I didn't weigh my food and honestly want to start living that way a little more and see how it goes. I'm not going to IF on the weekend if my guy wants to have a dinner date but am kinda hoping we don't go out for dinner tonight so i can cut off eating after 1230 today...that kinda freaks me out but as long as i eat enough today by 1230 i will be fine...it's a super busy day at work so not too worried.

just browned like 24oz burger to take to work w/ me so lots of meat if i get hungry. and i have avo for the burger, yum.......

Excited about my WI! Hope you all have a great Friday!
Old 05-03-2013, 04:49 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
WOE: JUDDD

Robbelkk- you are doing great!
Let us know how the IF goes.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:33 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gretalyn
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: off and on since 2004, on to stay since March 2011
Hi Everyone!

I've been wanting to get it on one of these threads, but never seemed to find them until they were 20+ pages long! So I'm happy to have finally caught one from the beginning.

A little about me... I did low-carb off and on for many years, after I first read "Life Without Bread" after my grandmother died from diabetes complications. I finally committed to it two years ago, and have been consistent with since then. I lost about 18 pounds in the first few months, and I've been maintaining my target weight (plus or minus a couple of pounds) for awhile now. But I mostly do this for health reasons. When I'm in ketosis, I'm not bothered with the symptoms of my hypoglycemia and IBS, and my immune system is much stronger. Out of ketosis, I'm sick all the time.

My diet was already fairly "NK approved" but I tweaked a bit when I read the book several weeks ago. I've started counting total carbs rather than net (which has kind of put a damper on my previous enjoyment of Quest Bars!), but didn't really adjust my intake much, other than that, because it was already within the limits. But I did start making more of a conscious effort to limit my protein just a bit and add more fat.

I mostly just hike/walk for exercise but I recently purchased "You Are Your Own Gym" and plan to start the bodyweight program in it, if I can ever get around to reading it!

Looking forward to getting to know everyone!

Greta
Old 05-03-2013, 06:34 AM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cpresson
Stats: 172/135/125
WOE: LCHF/Keto
Start Date: March 2013
Small bounce - 133.8 this morning
Old 05-03-2013, 06:36 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MRSKUBY
Stats: 179/176/140 5'5"
Thanks, Melanie for starting the new thread! I miss Darin with all his great advice/info! I hope he's okay!

I have been having a hard time getting back into ketosis after my off plan dessert last weekend but I finally lost the water weight I put on! So now I'm back down to 157.2. I'm hoping it sticks this time!

I've been trying to come up with something to eat for lunch that is satisfying and low in protein...Portabella mushrooms! I can stuff them with cheese, cream cheese or other veggies or make a mini pizza. I find that they are almost as satisfying as meat so I think it will work. I'll pick some up today on my way home so I can have them over the weekend.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:43 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MRSKUBY
Stats: 179/176/140 5'5"
I'm relatively new here too and so far I am really enjoying this group! Great job with maintaining your weight loss!

cpression, sorry you had a bounce.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:51 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: erinisme
Stats: 180/170/140
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 12/12/2012
I'm back down to 162 , but I find it hard to be excited when I expect it to be up again tomorrow. I have never had these bounces before. Not sure if NK is best for me but I like hanging on this thread. Was going to go off plan onorrow to shake things up (this works for me) but now afraid of seeing a bounce. Maybe I'll decide tomorrow
Closed Thread