Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2013, 07:49 PM   #181
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilbeetle
Stats: 165/127/125(5'4)
WOE: Primal with intermittant M&E
Start Date: March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by april04
Wow! Looks like you've been losing well since March, good for you! Are you really active?
Hi there Yes and No. I do Wii dance and a little jogging, but havent done much the last 2 weeks for various reasons. I milk cows which is an active job and I chase after a 3 year old boy which is a VERY active job I'm not really a sit still for long person, but do go thru periods of intense lazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green
Welcome lilbeetle! Your stats don't look too bad for not measuring. Just drop those carbs some and see what happens. 1900k may be okay for you. If no losing after lowering carbs, then try lowering protein and fat some.
Hi Green Thanx for that, they seems poor compared to what I had been reading on here for a couple of months. My stats will look terrible today because I had yogurt from breakfast. I slept in and had to run, still not an excuse - I should have been more prepared and had a back up plan.

I've been pondering the cals. Ive always been a big eater, and it looks like that is following thru to LC. Believe it or not, my portion sizes are smaller than they were at the start

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2013, 02:50 AM   #182
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: April04
Stats: 216/190/150
WOE: NK 80/15/5
Start Date: April 4, 2013
Welcome Back, lindy we missed you!

And LilBeetle, it sounds like you have a quick metabolism, you seem to do well on higher calories, but the activity sure helps a lot, as well. As a mom to two little girls, I know there's never too much down time, they kep me going from sun up to sun down.

Happy Friday, hope everyone enjoys the weekend!
Old 05-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #183
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Green
Stats: no more scale!
WOE: Hunger Directed Eating 4/22/14
Start Date: JUDDD: start 2/14-4/14 NK: 3/13-6/13, 11/13- 1/14
hello everyone!

blood ketones were .4 again this morning...won't have new sticks until next week.
weekend is always hard because i drink a few glasses if wine both fri and saturday nights. today, i fasted until lunch when i had a romaine salad with mct oil dressing and 3oz of chicken thigh. snacked on some mac nuts and just had cabbage sauteed in ghee and a cream/ice/protein powder smoothie. i will probably have a piece of meat somewhere for dinner as my boyfriend and his brother are coming in town to visit and we'll go out to dinner and all. those stats look great April! it's so hard for me to keep my calories below 1400-1500...i don't see how you do it! haha
Glad things are going well Ellen!
Old 05-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #184
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
WOE: NK
Start Date: January, 2013
Ok back to work. I've been staying on plan for the most part, but with all that was going on , I didn't get to fine tune it. I thought I'd gained a few pounds but it was only 1.2 up so I'll work on getting it back down.

Yes, we are down a few people, but you guys seem to be doing fine. With the old posts from the last several months, you can have just about any questions answered.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:06 AM   #185
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: elleng
Stats: 230/155/140
WOE: atkins/nk
Start Date: atkins:3/2010 NK 4/22/13
Hi All! Hope everyone has a great weekend! Going to do some veggie planting with Hubby. Weight stayed the same--no complaints since I'm feeling so good! Went to Yankee game last night-brought some macadamia nuts to snack on. Had Boston Market chicken breast and green beans for dinner. Came home and tested-in dark ketosis on stick. Finally ordered the free blood ketone monitor--waiting for it to come in and get the courage to use!
Glad to finally see some more people here--everyone seems to be doing pretty well!
Old 05-18-2013, 09:57 AM   #186
Senior LCF Member

Down 1.8 lbs.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:16 AM   #187
Junior LCF Member

Great news Lindy! Keep up the good work!
Old 05-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #188
Senior LCF Member

Glad you're feeling so good Elleng! Hope you caught a good game!

I used to love Boston Market, but ours closed

Way to go Lindy

My weekend is going well so far. I'm meat and egging for the next few days, trying to stay in my 80/15/5, but it looks a little more: 75F/23P/2C. All-in-all, it's going very well. I feel good, and am staying prepared. Happy Weekend to All!
Old 05-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #189
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by April04 View Post

And LilBeetle, it sounds like you have a quick metabolism, you seem to do well on higher calories, but the activity sure helps a lot, as well. As a mom to two little girls, I know there's never too much down time, they kep me going from sun up to sun down.
I suspect it is fast as well. Ive always been slender, until I started drinking a lot of wine and eating a lot of chips and chocolate.

Better ratios yesterday
cal1,597 carbs41g fat118g protein92g
Ratios 16:47:37

Im still tracking my food and it is starting to help me make better choices during the day. My reward is my first drop in over a week, after the big gain while away

66kg (145.5)
Old 05-18-2013, 06:01 PM   #190
Senior LCF Member

Had a good day today. Nothing special, just chillin. DD made ribeye steak and steak fries for dinner. Nothing better.

Glad that you are all doing well. You seem to be on plan and going forward. Stay well.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:10 PM   #191
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy in Louisiana View Post
Had a good day today. Nothing special, just chillin. DD made ribeye steak and steak fries for dinner. Nothing better.

Glad that you are all doing well. You seem to be on plan and going forward. Stay well.
Wait wait wait... nothing special, and ribeye steak in the same sentence? Ribeye steak is definitely special! At least in my book

I'm guessing you didn't eat the steak fries though
Old 05-18-2013, 06:24 PM   #192
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindroproses View Post
Wait wait wait... nothing special, and ribeye steak in the same sentence? Ribeye steak is definitely special! At least in my book

I'm guessing you didn't eat the steak fries though
Well, actually I did. I'm doing a healthy version with Perfect health diet. (on the other plans) We pretty much do Paleo w/ a little extra. I do have the opportunity to do potatoes and white rice. I have 400 calories a day carbs and 300 for protein. It's still low carb but more a moderate. Total calories a day is 1200 w/ 100 g carbs, 75 g protein and the rest fats. Won't be as fast but I will have a very nutritious meal. Of course, it's not exactly NK but we all do our own thing. Right?
Old 05-18-2013, 06:29 PM   #193
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Well, actually I did. I'm doing a healthy version with Perfect health diet. (on the other plans) We pretty much do Paleo w/ a little extra. I do have the opportunity to do potatoes and white rice. I have 400 calories a day carbs and 300 for protein. It's still low carb but more a moderate. Total calories a day is 1200 w/ 100 g carbs, 75 g protein and the rest fats. Won't be as fast but I will have a very nutritious meal. Of course, it's not exactly NK but we all do our own thing. Right?
Oh yeah! I forgot you were doing perfect health! I wasn't sure what it was, but that sounds like it provides more variety... I'm glad that's working out for you That sounds like what I was doing pretty much before I started NK. I kept calling it a "low glycemic load" diet mixed with Primal or something since I still ate dairy... but I did give up potatoes on my start date though. I was still eating more carby veggies until realizing it didn't work for me so well.

To me, LC is definitely a "whatever works for you" sort of thing! I'd probably puff up like a balloon unfortunately if I ate potatoes, but I'm sure there are some other people who cringe at licking bacon grease off of a spoon too
Old 05-18-2013, 06:40 PM   #194
Senior LCF Member

Well, you know this is an experiment. Just started it. Who knows, it may work like a charm. Or not. We'll see.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:46 PM   #195
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Well, you know this is an experiment. Just started it. Who knows, it may work like a charm. Or not. We'll see.
Well you know me, my fingers are crossed for you! If at least ONE of us can eat potatoes, I'll consider it a huge success
Old 05-19-2013, 03:52 AM   #196
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Emmaline78
Stats: 226/185.8/154
WOE: Low Carbs
Start Date: April 2013
Hi everyone, I'm quite new on here and was very interested in the type of dieting you guys are doing.
I am following a low carb diet and whilst I lost 15lbs total last month so far this month it has only been 3lb. Was wondering if I am not eating enough protein but after reading this perhaps it is not enough fat.
My daily quotas are set at Cals 1200 Carbs 75 Fat 40 Protein 135 and fibre 14
Never seem to get anywhere near the protein mark as am not a big meat eater and I thought that too much cheese would be bad for me.. altho' I do love it!
Any help you can give me will be much appreciated.

and I do not eat potatoes at all!

All the world is mad except thee and me and even thee's a little odd!

Last edited by Emmaline78; 05-19-2013 at 03:53 AM..
Old 05-19-2013, 05:07 AM   #197
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmaline78 View Post
Hi everyone, I'm quite new on here and was very interested in the type of dieting you guys are doing.
I am following a low carb diet and whilst I lost 15lbs total last month so far this month it has only been 3lb. Was wondering if I am not eating enough protein but after reading this perhaps it is not enough fat.
Never seem to get anywhere near the protein mark as am not a big meat eater and I thought that too much cheese would be bad for me.. altho' I do love it!

Welcome, Emmaline! Congratulations on your weight loss.

You came to the right place! The people here are wonderfully supportive and help to flush out reasons for stalls, and offer up great suggestions.

I'm really still new to the site, but highly recommend reading the old threads for info. I was able to adjust to 80/15/5 for NK and it has made all the difference, for me. But, we're all different, and you may thrive on different levels.

I know you'll get some good advice from the veterans!
Old 05-19-2013, 05:45 AM   #198
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Hi Emmaline

You're actually at the very TOP of your allowance for protein, so you may be slowing yourself for that purpose. If 150 pounds is a correct "ideal" weight for your frame size and height, you should be aiming for 102-136g of protein daily. I'd aim for the lower number and move up or down from there, as some people are protein sensitive while others are not. I actually have to eat much LESS than most people do... around 65-70g to not stall/gain. Protein in excess can actually trigger an insulin response just like carbs can!

Definitely you need to eat more fat. Low carb is not supposed to be a low fat diet, and 40g daily is very low. My fat grams are normally in the 130's if that gives you any indication! The good news is it's super easy to get in extra fat if you try... I highly recommend reading through our old threads for some good info too. There's a LOT of stuff in there to help out!
Old 05-19-2013, 12:40 PM   #199
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Hey, Emmaline, glad you joined us.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #200
Senior LCF Member

Slept most of yesterday with an extremly early start at work after a late night. That helped intake a bit

Cal1,185 Carbs12g Fat75g Protein51g
Ratio: 9:54:37

The programme I used told me off for putting myself at risk of starvation mode. I didnt feel hungry, but I was asleep a lot of the day
Old 05-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #201
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NKSL55
Stats: 205/185/175
WOE: General LC then NK
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post

BTW, has anyone heard from RedDarin this week?
Many of you know reddarin as the kindly fellow who helps you calculate the number of grams of fat and protein you can eat per day. It is less well known that he also leads a team of blackops mercenaries with special expertise in stemming zombie outbreaks. Yes, few of you will have visualized him as a cigar chomping Sgt. Rock type, but that is just what he is.

Anyway, while out in the field his access to the internet would be spotty, so it may be a while before we hear from him again.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:46 AM   #202
Junior LCF Member

Hi All! Hope everyone is going to have a swoosh week! I was pleased to weigh in this am and see a loss. Down to 155. Wow, haven't weighed this since I don't remember! I am loving this way of eating. Going to san francisco next week and plan on staying as close to nk as possible. Worse case scenario, I'll be doing atkins induction which will allow me to eat more protein. To be honest, that is where I have the hardest time, keeping the proteins down. Fat is easy enough to up with butter and mayo. Taking my ketostix with me to keep me in check-hope to stay at least in the pink. Got my free meter precision meter today, but don't have the ketone test strips yet. Plan on starting with that when I get back--if I can get the courage up to stick myself.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:36 AM   #203
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
I finally got the glucose & ketone meter that I posted about a few pages back. I've been practicing with the glucose strips before I try the ketone ones. It took a few tries to learn the most effective and least painful way to stick my finger. I get the best results if I poke my finger parallel to the nail bed, a little ways under the finger pad.

I was surprised but pleased to discover that my blood sugar is well within normal range, even after a high carb meal. I don't know if that's because my insulin response has improved or because I was not particularly insulin sensitive in the first place. I'm not about to go back to eating high carb all the time to find out though.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:47 AM   #204
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeetle View Post
Ive been lurking on this thread FOREVER lol, but never had the system set up to do the ratios. Finally did it today, and I am astounded I lose at all. I eat way too much I am not as low carb as I thought, and my calories are massive. Still, now I can actually work on tweaking my menu to better suit the WOE

Calories 1,918 carbs 61g Fat 142g Protein 87g
Ratio 21:49:30
Hi, I think the high calories are key to why NK works. When your body is getting the nutrition it needs from the protein and fat(don't forget the fat soluable vitamins are co-factors to using the amino acids from the proteins) it recognizes that it has sufficient raw materials to do repair and rebuild of muscle and bone and vital organs. Your body then goes to work with a vengeance to take care of issues that have been sidelined due to insufficient nutrition coming in from low calories or high carbs(which don't contribute to muscle, organ or bone repair and rebuild) Carbs also don't have the fat soluable vitamins necessary to work together with the essential minerals.

When the body has enough assets to work with, it can jettison extra water from potassium/sodium imbalance. It can shuttle calcium into bone and teeth and out of soft tissues with the aid of the fat soluble vitamins A, D and K and all these things become in better balance enhancing your health status. So, IMO high calories with the right macro ratios is an investment in your longterm health. It kind of sad in this day and age that we can starve for real nutrition on a biochemical level while taking in below subsistence level calories believing that we are making ourselves healthier. Our bodies, now more than ever before in history need highly concentrated and available nutrients to combat our present day toxic world.

Sorry for the book but, I feel that our bodies are crying for nutrition and we mostly give them empty calories to only care for the heat/energy output(calories in/out theory) but not the nutrition for essential repairs. Calories burned is not the health benchmark it has been made out to be. Repair and rebuild is the language our bodies understand and we are not currently speaking our bodies language. We have gotten lost in translation, our bodies are asking for useable construction materials and we are giving them the wallpaper and paint. You can't build a house from paint and wallpaper, you have to have the structure built soundly to base the decoration on. If we fail to recognize this we will get older faster and sicker sooner. If we as a society continue to go on these assumptions(that cellular repair and rebuild is not the key to health but that calories(the paint and wallpaper) are the be all and end all, we will paying into our own early and sickly demise.

OK, I'll stop now
Old 05-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #205
Senior LCF Member

hey guys,
Gonna be out of pocket for a few days. Unfortunately, off eating plan. Will start over again.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:42 PM   #206
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Green
Stats: no more scale!
WOE: Hunger Directed Eating 4/22/14
Start Date: JUDDD: start 2/14-4/14 NK: 3/13-6/13, 11/13- 1/14
Glad to see all is well.
I've been intermittent fasting until lunch around 1 or 2pm every day, trying to eye my protein intake, and eating fat with leisure. New ketone strips aren't in yet, so still not blood testing since Thursday. I haven't weighed myself in a while either, but feeling great! Expect one thing, my stomach is poking out like never before. I look slightly pregnant but according to the 2 tests I've taken, I'm not, thank goodness. I seem to be constipated despite my high intake of magnesium and sodium and fat and water. I wonder what is the cause?!? This is so frustrating... I also take probiotics. Anyone have advice?
Old 05-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #207
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Emmaline78
Stats: 226/185.8/154
WOE: Low Carbs
Start Date: April 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindroproses View Post
Hi Emmaline

You're actually at the very TOP of your allowance for protein, so you may be slowing yourself for that purpose. If 150 pounds is a correct "ideal" weight for your frame size and height, you should be aiming for 102-136g of protein daily. I'd aim for the lower number and move up or down from there, as some people are protein sensitive while others are not. I actually have to eat much LESS than most people do... around 65-70g to not stall/gain. Protein in excess can actually trigger an insulin response just like carbs can!

Definitely you need to eat more fat. Low carb is not supposed to be a low fat diet, and 40g daily is very low. My fat grams are normally in the 130's if that gives you any indication! The good news is it's super easy to get in extra fat if you try... I highly recommend reading through our old threads for some good info too. There's a LOT of stuff in there to help out!
Thanks for that info.
TBH my protein intake is usually quite low. Yesterday 67 today 35.. not good I know...but I take your point.
Fat I will concentrate on too.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:45 AM   #208
Senior LCF Member

Definatly getting better : cal1,542 carbs15g Fat111g Protein73g

8:56:37

Although I didnt add in the fat bomb I'll be eating in half an hour, yet
Old 05-24-2013, 09:59 AM   #209
Junior LCF Member

Leaving in a bit for my vacation. Packed food--macadamia nuts, turkey and cheese roll-ups with mayo. Hope to get some extra mayo packets in the airport to dip them into. Also took some atkins bars in case of emergency! Try not to eat them now that I'm into nk. Also took some pepperoni to up my fat. Wish me luck!
Old 05-25-2013, 10:01 AM   #210
Senior LCF Member

Ok back in town and on my eating plan. Only gained from 231 to 232.8. Back to work. Having sardines, salad and cheese today.
Closed Thread