Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 11:50 AM   #151
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: elleng
Stats: 230/155/140
WOE: atkins/nk
Start Date: atkins:3/2010 NK 4/22/13
where is everyone?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2013, 12:24 PM   #152
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: April04
Stats: 216/190/150
WOE: NK 80/15/5
Start Date: April 4, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by elleng View Post
where is everyone?
I was wondering the SAME thing Ellen! It's gotten very quiet in here.

Looks like you're doing great Way to go!
Old 05-14-2013, 05:18 PM   #153
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DesertRose
Checking in to keep the thread alive. We're all wondering where everyone went I'm sure. If someone has to take a break, it's understandable. But why have a dozen or so others dropped out? What did we miss? Besides missing our friends, I'm talking a little withdrawal pains here ...

Still motivated here, though. Doing a form of intuitive eating, one day less protein, next day maybe more fat, not really counting so not aware of calories. I do tend to eat the same things over and over again in rotation, and it evens out over time. No movement on weightloss, still down on inches, Trying to shake things up a bit.

How is everyone else doing? How are your weighins going? Who's got some new ideas and tweaks for us to hear about?

Dot
Old 05-14-2013, 05:30 PM   #154
Junior LCF Member

I agree! I just started doing NK after a long stall on Atkins. I was getting so much info and advice here. Miss it!
Old 05-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #155
Senior LCF Member

I do miss all the chit chat and comradarie of this message board. I hope everyone is doing well. I'm thoroughly enjoying all of the benefits of a NK way of life. I've been on board 41 days today, and tonight was the first time I went grocery shopping without a list, and was able to get what I needed. It's becoming more of a habit.

I've lost 15 pounds and am happy with that, but more so with the way I feel. I'm not going to lie, I wish I could have cookies with my kids, or cake at a Communion party, but I've been able to resist these temptations because I really believe in this WOE and enjoy the physical, mental, and health benefits of it.

Here is my day yesterday:
Calories 1349
Fat 109.2 g. 72%
Carbs 17 g 5%
Protein 79.9 g. 23%

I hope everyone is doing well and would love to see others tips/ideas/progress.

PS: I made spinach dip tonight, from the Knorrs package, and ate it with Pork Rinds and celery, oh what a treat!!
Old 05-14-2013, 07:18 PM   #156
Senior LCF Member

I'm now into 7+ months of eating HF/LC/MP. I'm 71 so it isn't changing me as fast as it did when I started generic LC in the 70s. (Except how HF has affected my energy level/clear thinking, it's way better!) However, 20 recorded inches are still gone. I didn't start measuring until after the first few months. My body is recalibrating. I figure most of this inch loss is internal fat stores. Now working on the external layer. I'm actually up about 4-5 lbs from the start, but that is up for debate after one scale dying and 2 more highly fluctuating scales disappearing until I bought one I love. It doesn't vary much, but I never did vary much in weight. Not a yo-yo person. But I see new 'dimples' here and there. I wear wrist weights around the house to help with the 'batwings', but I see change there. I don't do scheduled exercise, but I'm chief housekeeper, yardkeeper, shopper, and accounting/shipping department to our home business. Luckily I don't have to cook anymore, DH fixes his light dinners, I fix mine. We eat out most days at lunch, that's the biggest meal.

What changes are you seeing in your body?
Old 05-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #157
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Green
Stats: no scale unless doing PHD
WOE: HDE, Potatoes as needed
Start Date: May 2014
I agree about keeping the thread going.. I need y'all's support!

I haven't been counting and haven't tested my blood ketones since Friday.
I couldn't get enough blood on the little strip this morning and it gave me the error message. I figured my levels would be low today anyway So I didn't bother using another strip. Such expensive little things. I need to order more though.

I've been sticking to my guns and not cheating or over eating on protein (though I've been guessing a bit this weekend.) I find it so so so hard not to overindulge in nuts... That was my main hurtle this weekend. Maybe I should not have them around at all.. They're just such an easy food to take on the road, etc.

DesertRose, that's great about your loss in inches!
I've noticed a change in my face and décolleté. In think most of my fat loss has happened there and in my chest/upper abdominal area. Wish that would move on down to my legs! That's where I carry the most extra "energy."

Hope all is well with everyone!
Old 05-14-2013, 09:17 PM   #158
Junior LCF Member

Hi. Haven't been NK very long, but was following atkins induction for close to 3 yrs--lost over 60lbs then stalled for almost 9 months. That's when I found out about this woe and so far, dropped 3 lbs. Slow, it's been 3 weeks, but it's a start. Still tweaking my calories and reducing my protein. Usually hit around 70% fat, 24% protein and 6% carbs.
Like the idea of walking around house with wrist weights. I have ankle weights and think I'll try doing that.
Haven't been testing my blood ketones (too chicken to stab myself) but do test with urine ketostix and show ketosis even first thing in am! Gets darker as day goes on.
Wishing everyone continued success!
Old 05-14-2013, 09:45 PM   #159
Senior LCF Member

I wish my upper abdominal area was smaller. I think, though, that because my waist went in 5", my upper (and lower) abdomen appear larger. Probably a misconception as I adjust to a different sized body, if not less in pounds. I will wait (weight) this out. Adjusting body after all these years will not happen over night. Still pleased with smaller clothes, just not into the summer size yet, still inbetween. Anxious for the encouragement.

Also, found my wrist weights, which double as ankle weights, at Marshall's, possibly Ross's, for $7.99. Cheaper than I'd found so far. Sometimes double up on left arm, as it doesn't get as much use as right does. Which helps when I'm writing too.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:02 PM   #160
Junior LCF Member

Just finished adding up today's count. Kind of surprised I was over on the protein, but that's what I get for eating grilled chicken out---didn't even eat the whole portion, but I'm guessing it was 8 oz. Hope this doesn't kick me out of ketosis!
Calories-1316,
65%fat
33% protein
2% carb
Old 05-15-2013, 09:04 AM   #161
Senior LCF Member

Checking in.. I'm intermittent fasting until a late lunch.. Thought about doing a fat fast today. Maybe I'll do both. Feeling a rumble in my tummy though
Old 05-15-2013, 11:09 AM   #162
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green View Post
Checking in.. I'm intermittent fasting until a late lunch.. Thought about doing a fat fast today. Maybe I'll do both. Feeling a rumble in my tummy though
Me too!

I'm Fat Fasting with egg yolks today. Three for breakfast cooked in coconut oil, and two hard boiled egg yolks for lunch so far. I've been bouncing between 201 and 203 for a good bit. When I see my overall loss it's great, but I've been a little stagnant of late.

I have a feeling I don't do as well with dairy, but it's hard to limit my options so much, so I keep doing days with/ days without. This will be a day without, and if I'm happy with the scale, I'll try to go longer without.

I really enjoy sour cream, and heavy whipping cream, so I'd love some good non-dairy high fat suggestions, if you have any!
Old 05-15-2013, 11:13 AM   #163
Senior LCF Member

My day yesterday:

Tuesday 5/15:

Calories 1349
Fat 109.2 g 72%
Carbs 17 g 5%
Protein 79.9 g 23%
Water 80 fl oz

The pork rinds had me a little high in protein, but I needed them as a vehicle to get the spinach dip in
Old 05-15-2013, 11:48 AM   #164
Senior LCF Member

Yum, spinach dip...
I have similar feelings about dairy.. It's just hard to live without with this woe.

I have trouble with acne (jut finished a 3 month round of antibiotics, so things are looking good now, but who knows in a few weeks. I wonder if I cut out dairy, if it'll make a difference.)

Part if me thinks that it's the protein in dairy that can be problematic (maybe I read something about it?) so at the very least, I try to just stick to dairy fats (butter, cream, ghee, cream cheese) for the most part. Though I do et cheese a few days a week probably.

Ghee, bacon fat, coconut oil, and mct oils are good ways to get fat up eating no dairy. From what I understand ghee is okay because all of the protein has been removed.
I usually eat caeser salads (dressing made with mct oil). I will sometimes melt a tablespoon on bacon fat in a big bowl, add my dressing, and then mix in my romaine lettuce. That's what I've been doing lately at least.

Fat bombs just made with coconut oil, maybe some ghee, chocolate, and a little nut butter re good to keep around.

Good luck with the no dairy fat fast today! I've had 1T if mct oil (shouldn't have taken on an empty stomach... That stuff can have me running to the toilet, if you know what I mean) and 2T of heavy cream in my coffee , so far. Not feeling hungry at all but may bake some bacon.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:36 PM   #165
Senior LCF Member

I didn't do bacon, but instead I made cabbage sautéed in ghee and bouillon and had 4 oz of chicken thigh. Just felt like I needed some protein. Not sure how dinner will play out- may stick to just fat.. May have some protein. I dunno but it will be NK of course and I'll stick to the lower end of my protein allotment ( I eat somewhere between 60-100g of protein a day)
Old 05-15-2013, 02:43 PM   #166
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
This is probably a silly question, but I am curious. I just started testing my blood ketones. I'm firmly in ketosis, measuring between 2.6-4.1 each morning. The thing is, my diet is pretty much exactly the same every day. What causes my ketones to vary so much, when I'm usually eating the same thing every day?
Old 05-15-2013, 06:19 PM   #167
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtherGoos View Post
This is probably a silly question, but I am curious. I just started testing my blood ketones. I'm firmly in ketosis, measuring between 2.6-4.1 each morning. The thing is, my diet is pretty much exactly the same every day. What causes my ketones to vary so much, when I'm usually eating the same thing every day?
Good question MtherGoos, I'm curious about the answer, too.

As for ghee, I've never tried it, but thanks for the good sugestions. I pretty much tanked my FF by not being prepared. If I wait to long between meals, I set my self up for eating too much. Will post daily stats.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:22 PM   #168
Senior LCF Member

I soo overdid the fat, and am way under on protein. Does that cause a gain? Also, 20 grams of carbs is the highest I've gone so far, we'll see what happens with that on the scale.

Daily Totals:
Calories 1254
Fat 116 g 82%
Carbs 20.1 g 6%
Protein 37.9 g 12%
Old 05-15-2013, 11:02 PM   #169
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilbeetle
Stats: 165/127/125(5'4)
WOE: Primal with intermittant M&E
Start Date: March 2013
Ive been lurking on this thread FOREVER lol, but never had the system set up to do the ratios. Finally did it today, and I am astounded I lose at all. I eat way too much I am not as low carb as I thought, and my calories are massive. Still, now I can actually work on tweaking my menu to better suit the WOE

Calories 1,918 carbs 61g Fat 142g Protein 87g
Ratio 21:49:30
Old 05-16-2013, 03:51 AM   #170
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeetle View Post
Ive been lurking on this thread FOREVER lol, but never had the system set up to do the ratios. Finally did it today, and I am astounded I lose at all. I eat way too much I am not as low carb as I thought, and my calories are massive. Still, now I can actually work on tweaking my menu to better suit the WOE

Wow! Looks like you've been losing well since March, good for you! Are you really active?
Old 05-16-2013, 05:40 AM   #171
Senior LCF Member

Was worried about my intakes yesterday, and wasn't looking forward the the weekly visit to the scale, but....I'm down 1.9 for the week. Yippee!! Gotta love the woooooosssshhhhhhh!
Old 05-16-2013, 09:13 AM   #172
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeetle View Post

Welcome lilbeetle! Your stats don't look too bad for not measuring. Just drop those carbs some and see what happens. 1900k may be okay for you. If no losing after lowering carbs, then try lowering protein and fat some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by April04 View Post
Was worried about my intakes yesterday, and wasn't looking forward the the weekly visit to the scale, but....I'm down 1.9 for the week. Yippee!! Gotta love the woooooosssshhhhhhh!
SWEET!!!! that's awesome april!

I checked my blood ketones this morning and they're at .4. Definitely fat-fasting today to get them higher. I've had two pieces of fatty bacon and coffe w/ cream. I plan on more bacon throughout the day along with a salad with my MCT oil dressing.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:15 AM   #173
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtherGoos View Post
That's a good question... I guess it fluctuates depending on how many ketones your body is using for energy and how rapidly they're being produced in the liver? Not sure about that. Juts a guess.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:17 AM   #174
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by April04 View Post
I soo overdid the fat, and am way under on protein. Does that cause a gain? Also, 20 grams of carbs is the highest I've gone so far, we'll see what happens with that on the scale.

Daily Totals:
Calories 1254
Fat 116 g 82%
Carbs 20.1 g 6%
Protein 37.9 g 12%
I think the only worry for eating too little protein is losing Lean Body Mass (LBM). That's why I sometimes talk myself out of having a fat-fast day.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:18 AM   #175
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elleng View Post
Just finished adding up today's count. Kind of surprised I was over on the protein, but that's what I get for eating grilled chicken out---didn't even eat the whole portion, but I'm guessing it was 8 oz. Hope this doesn't kick me out of ketosis!
Calories-1316,
65%fat
33% protein
2% carb

How did it go? Still in Ketosis? Are you measuring your blood ketones?
Old 05-16-2013, 10:05 AM   #176
Senior LCF Member

Oh just re-read your other post.. you are doing the urine strips- I felt the same way about the blood testing but once i did it the first time (I seriously felt queasy and a little "faintish"), I'm no longer scared of it. Just food for thought.

Last edited by Green; 05-16-2013 at 10:09 AM..
Old 05-16-2013, 11:21 AM   #177
Senior LCF Member

Today:

B: 2T Cream, 30g Bacon (approx 2 slices)
L: 3oz Romaine, 15g Bacon, 1T MCT oil Caeser dressing
S: 1oz macadamia nuts
S: 30g Bacon
D: 3oz Romaine, 15g Bacon, 1T MCT oil Caeser dressing

89%/6.6%/4.3% (F/P/C)
100g Fat
17.5g Protein
11.1g Carbs

Have yet to eat snacks or dinner, but this is my game plan. Hopefully blood ketones will go up and I won't lose any LBM.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #178
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green View Post
How did it go? Still in Ketosis? Are you measuring your blood ketones?
According to the ketostix-yes, though not strong. Still pink though! Last nite I ate home again-much prefer!
1609 Calories
74%fat
22%protein
4%carb
Best of all, down another half pound! Think I do better in the upper 1500-1600 calorie range, at least that's when I seem to lose some weight
Doing the happy dance!
Old 05-16-2013, 06:30 PM   #179
Senior LCF Member

Great news, elleng!

I see what you mean, Green, I upped my protein today to protect LBM.

Today, my day looked like this:
Daily Totals
Calories 1209
Fat 96.7 g 73%
Carbs 10.4 g 3%
Protein 70.5 g 73%
Old 05-16-2013, 07:37 PM   #180
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
WOE: NK
Start Date: January, 2013
Hey kiddos, did you miss me? I have been seriously out of pocket for 4 days and totally in comp withdrawal. I was taking care of an old lady friend and I'm not enough help for her. So I got her some more help. Now I can sleep in my own bed and play with my computer. Missed being on line with you guys.

Look like that y'all are doing fine. Keep up the good work. Being away from dieting for a few days added a few pounds I'm sure. Got to get busy.
Closed Thread