Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 08:02 PM   #121
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Green
Stats: no scale unless doing PHD
WOE: HDE, Potatoes as needed
Start Date: May 2014
Happy May everyone!

I finally started testing my fasted blood ketones in the past week.
The first reading was only .2, then yesterday was .3, and this morning was .4

I'm getting close! I was very diligent for a while about keeping up with my macros, but must've dropped the ball when i started eye-balling, eating too many nuts, cheeses, and dark chocolates.

Weirdest thing happened tonight. I was settled in for the evening..feeling super content and not hungry on the 1600 cal I had eaten (30g carbs, 80g protein, the rest fat) and I suddenly decided I wanted butter. I kept wanting butter and more and more (just plain on the spoon..kerrygold salted) until I ate more than half of one of those double-sized sticks. WOW. I could still eat more. Anything like that ever happen to you guys?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2013, 10:34 PM   #122
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
WOE: NK
Start Date: January, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green View Post
Happy May everyone!

I finally started testing my fasted blood ketones in the past week.
The first reading was only .2, then yesterday was .3, and this morning was .4

I'm getting close! I was very diligent for a while about keeping up with my macros, but must've dropped the ball when i started eye-balling, eating too many nuts, cheeses, and dark chocolates.

Weirdest thing happened tonight. I was settled in for the evening..feeling super content and not hungry on the 1600 cal I had eaten (30g carbs, 80g protein, the rest fat) and I suddenly decided I wanted butter. I kept wanting butter and more and more (just plain on the spoon..kerrygold salted) until I ate more than half of one of those double-sized sticks. WOW. I could still eat more. Anything like that ever happen to you guys?
Yes, it does.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:18 AM   #123
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Green
Stats: no scale unless doing PHD
WOE: HDE, Potatoes as needed
Start Date: May 2014
Ha, Lindy! Good to know I'm not alone. Just tested my blood ketones and they're at 1.3 this morning! I guess a stick of butter will do it, eh? Now, I'll try to have a more normal day... maybe my body is wanting more calories though? Maybe like 2,000?

And also, went up 2lbs from yesterday, but TOM is getting close. I'm now at 144. I guess I reached ketosis a few weeks ago, got down to 138, then got too comfortable, didn't count, and left ketosis. This time i'm sticking to my guns.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:49 AM   #124
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: katmamma
Stats: 223/208/145
Start Date: June 2004/re May 2007/re May 2013
I am still trying to figure out what calorie, protein and fat amounts to aim for daily. I am losing weight, probably because I am still in the early days. This morning, my BK reading was 0.4. I have no trouble staying at 20 carbs or less (so far).

I have been averaging (approximately):
1200 cals
10 g carbs
85 g protein
90 g fat

I am 5'4, with a very muscular build.

Do the numbers look ok? Looking to lose about 70 lbs, and want to start out right. From past experience, I need to leave room to tweak as stalls start to set in.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:10 AM   #125
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
katmamma, since you are just starting out I would suggest raising calories to 1500-1600. If you go too low in calories now, this leaves no room to cut down later when you get closer to goal. Eating low cal for long periods of time also lowers metabolism, which means you could be stuck eating low cal at maintenance.

With a goal weight is 145, you could eat up to 98 g of protein. The first page of this thread explains how protein levels are calculated. Protein can be reduced if you get to a stall, but I see no reason to do this in the first few weeks while your body adapts to burning fat for fuel.

The upper limit for carbs recommended in The Art and Science of Low Carb Living is 60 g total, but it seems most people start out at 20 g. I've found that I can eat up to 30 g per day and still lose.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:22 AM   #126
Senior LCF Member

I'm doing a leptin reset, which Deb posted about in the March thread. High Fat NK 80/15/5 - March Version

I only got in 40 g protein this morning, but that is more than I've been eating at breakfast. Yesterday was the first day of my leptin reset, and after a big breakfast I wasn't hungry until late afternoon.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:30 AM   #127
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: April04
Stats: 216/190/150
WOE: NK 80/15/5
Start Date: April 4, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamt View Post
B12 is supposed to boost metabolism and fat loss, but I haven't tried it myself.

April, you are doing great! KUTGW.
Thanks, Lisa!

With so much to figure out about our own bodies, and a new WOE, it's great to have this support.

Also, I have questions based on recent challenges, would love some guidance.

1. If you're nearing the end of the day and realize your protein intake is high do you: A. Add fat to the end of your day to balance percentages and go over daily calories or B. Stop eating in order to keep your calories in check for the day C. Other

2. Can you load the AM with fat and PM with protein? Or is it better to balance your day?

3. If you're going to exercise is it better to eat before or after? Which burns more of your body fat?

PS: I love reading the old threads, and what happened to RedDarrin? He seemed to be so knowledgeable about all of this for us, newbies!
Old 05-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #128
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
Quote:
I'm doing a leptin reset, which Deb posted about in the March thread. High Fat NK 80/15/5 - March Version

I only got in 40 g protein this morning, but that is more than I've been eating at breakfast. Yesterday was the first day of my leptin reset, and after a big breakfast I wasn't hungry until late afternoon.
Lisamt; I never thought I could get to 60 gm for breakfast but I'm now at about 60 gm at breakfast- I do this with 2 1/2 scoops of casein protein powder and 1/2 cup HWC in my shaker cup. Then I have coffee with more HWC and ghee added to it.

today is day before shark week and I had the above for breakfast but I'm starving now so I'm having 10 oz of pulled pork(about another 58 gm of protein) and salad with ranch dressing. I'm hoping I won't be hungry later because thats way over my 100gm of protein for the day...but's its soooo good right now

Last edited by Deb34; 05-09-2013 at 09:58 AM..
Old 05-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #129
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: katmamma
Stats: 223/208/145
Start Date: June 2004/re May 2007/re May 2013
Thanks Lisamt. i will give it a try.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #130
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by April04 View Post
Thanks, Lisa!

With so much to figure out about our own bodies, and a new WOE, it's great to have this support.

Also, I have questions based on recent challenges, would love some guidance.

1. If you're nearing the end of the day and realize your protein intake is high do you: A. Add fat to the end of your day to balance percentages and go over daily calories or B. Stop eating in order to keep your calories in check for the day C. Other

2. Can you load the AM with fat and PM with protein? Or is it better to balance your day?

3. If you're going to exercise is it better to eat before or after? Which burns more of your body fat?

PS: I love reading the old threads, and what happened to RedDarrin? He seemed to be so knowledgeable about all of this for us, newbies!
If my protein intake for a day is high, I don't add more fat to balance it out. Phinney & Volek recommend a diet between 60 and 85% fat. Even if you go a bit over on protein, you are probably still within that range for fat intake.

Some people start out their day with a bulletproof coffee and wait until lunch or even dinner to get in most of their protein. Others like me prefer to start their day out with protein. I don't think it matters, whatever works for you.

I don't know anything about combining exercise with NK, so I'm no help there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb34 View Post
Lisamt; I never thought I could get to 60 gm for breakfast but I'm now at about 60 gm at breakfast- I do this with 2 1/2 scoops of casein protein powder and 1/2 cup HWC in my shaker cup. Then I have coffee with more HWC and ghee added to it.

today is day before shark week and I had the above for breakfast but I'm starving now so I'm having 10 oz of pulled pork(about another 58 gm of protein) and salad with ranch dressing. I'm hoping I won't be hungry later because thats way over my 100gm of protein for the day...but's its soooo good right now
Thanks, Deb. I'm going to look for some good tasting LC protein powder to use in the morning. I feel better if I have at least some food at breakfast, so I'll probably combine a protein shake with my regular meal of eggs & bacon or sausage.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:26 PM   #131
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
Quote:
If my protein intake for a day is high, I don't add more fat to balance it out. Phinney & Volek recommend a diet between 60 and 85% fat. Even if you go a bit over on protein, you are probably still within that range for fat intake.

Some people start out their day with a bulletproof coffee and wait until lunch or even dinner to get in most of their protein. Others like me prefer to start their day out with protein. I don't think it matters, whatever works for you.

I don't know anything about combining exercise with NK, so I'm no help there.

Thanks, Deb. I'm going to look for some good tasting LC protein powder to use in the morning. I feel better if I have at least some food at breakfast, so I'll probably combine a protein shake with my regular meal of eggs & bacon or sausage.
I think a combo of food/protein shake is a good idea, I'm just too darn lazy to do it myself
Old 05-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #132
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: April04
Stats: 216/190/150
WOE: NK 80/15/5
Start Date: April 4, 2013
Thanks, Lisa. I have the book, just haven't gotten all the way through it. (On my list for the weekend)

And, you're right about not going out of the range.

Here was my day yesterday:

Carbs 10.5 g 3%
Fat 131.5g 74%
Protein 89.5g 23%
For a total of 1600 calories

It was a bit high, but I was at a party, and worked hard to stay within what I could eat. Aside from a recent camping trip, it was my first big social challenge.

I woke up +1.0, but I think it's temporary, and will be gone by my weekly weight in (I hope )
Old 05-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #133
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Subbing:
Old 05-09-2013, 03:44 PM   #134
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/127.6/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Just want to say that I get a lot of great information from lurking in this section of the forums. Thank you!!
Old 05-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #135
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by April04 View Post
Thanks, Lisa. I have the book, just haven't gotten all the way through it. (On my list for the weekend)

And, you're right about not going out of the range.

Here was my day yesterday:

Carbs 10.5 g 3%
Fat 131.5g 74%
Protein 89.5g 23%
For a total of 1600 calories

It was a bit high, but I was at a party, and worked hard to stay within what I could eat. Aside from a recent camping trip, it was my first big social challenge.

I woke up +1.0, but I think it's temporary, and will be gone by my weekly weight in (I hope )
You are not doing bad. Especially with a party involved. ha
Old 05-10-2013, 09:14 AM   #136
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: elleng
Stats: 230/155/140
WOE: atkins/nk
Start Date: atkins:3/2010 NK 4/22/13
Morning all. I"m so confused and annoyed. Gained 3 lbs! My numbers are right where they should be at 70%fat, 23% pro and 6% (and lower) carb. My calories have been 12-1700. I weigh and measure everything that goes in my mouth. Two weeks ago I lost these stupid three pounds after 9 months of a stall on atkins. I use the ketostix and am even in the zone first am check! I don't know what to think or do!
Old 05-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #137
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elleng View Post
Morning all. I"m so confused and annoyed. Gained 3 lbs! My numbers are right where they should be at 70%fat, 23% pro and 6% (and lower) carb. My calories have been 12-1700. I weigh and measure everything that goes in my mouth. Two weeks ago I lost these stupid three pounds after 9 months of a stall on atkins. I use the ketostix and am even in the zone first am check! I don't know what to think or do!
How much protein are you eating? Some people find they have to reduce protein to lose weight on NK.

Using the formula on the first page of this thread, your goal weight indicates the upper limit for protein is 95 g per day. The minimum to avoid loss of lean body mass would be around 76 g per day.

It could just be water weight. I've started drinking ACV tonics (there's a big thread over on the Main Lobby) and it helps so much with reducing bloat. A squirt of lemon juice in water is good for this too.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:43 PM   #138
Junior LCF Member

Cutting back on my protein has been the hardest thing for me to do since I'm a meat lover. I have cut it back to 95g. I'm consistently within 23-25% protein. My macros have been pretty close to what they should, only difference has been calories--sometimes up to 1700, sometimes down as low as 1200. I use a tracker, so I know my percentages are good. Wondering if I should decrease my fat a bit or just hang on.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:55 PM   #139
Junior LCF Member

Have another question---when we tweak your percentages and/or calories, how long do you "wait" to see if it makes a difference?
Old 05-10-2013, 04:09 PM   #140
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Cutting back on my protein has been the hardest thing for me to do since I'm a meat lover. I have cut it back to 95g. I'm consistently within 23-25% protein. My macros have been pretty close to what they should, only difference has been calories--sometimes up to 1700, sometimes down as low as 1200. I use a tracker, so I know my percentages are good. Wondering if I should decrease my fat a bit or just hang on.
If your protein level is too high and it's causing weight loss to stall, I don't think it matters if your macros fit within a certain percentage. I suggested lowering protein because that seems to work for others. For me, reducing protein a little helped get rid of the water weight I gained when I went off NK for a week.

If you decide to cut back protein or fat, I would wait at least a month to see if it makes a difference. I know what you mean about it being difficult to cut protein. It means smaller portions of meat and that kind of sucks, because it takes some of the enjoyment out of eating.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #141
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: visionspring
Stats: 5'4 ~ 138.8/134/125
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis - 75% - 80% fat
Start Date: April 2013
Holy poop this works!

Hey Ya'll! Just checking in to talk about my progress. Been doing this a couple of weeks now, and it's working! Plus its so tasty - eating lots of coconut cream, eggs, bacon, ribeye, green veg, olive oil mayo, salmon and coconut oil/nut butters.

Average nutritional report for the past 7 days -

Calories: 1333
Fat: 77%
Carbs: 5%
Protein: 18%
Start weight: 138.8
Current weight: 135.2

I go through cycles where every 3 days or so I crave extra protein so I have it - doesn't seem to derail me in any way.

Keep up the good work you guys!
Old 05-10-2013, 07:32 PM   #142
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionspring View Post
Hey Ya'll! Just checking in to talk about my progress. Been doing this a couple of weeks now, and it's working! Plus its so tasty - eating lots of coconut cream, eggs, bacon, ribeye, green veg, olive oil mayo, salmon and coconut oil/nut butters.

Average nutritional report for the past 7 days -

Calories: 1333
Fat: 77%
Carbs: 5%
Protein: 18%
Start weight: 138.8
Current weight: 135.2

I go through cycles where every 3 days or so I crave extra protein so I have it - doesn't seem to derail me in any way.

Keep up the good work you guys!
Doing great!!!
Old 05-11-2013, 09:45 AM   #143
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
I don't know who I am responding too, but a couple of things I have noticed that help raise my blood ketones is: Low intensity exercise and doing a fat fast (1000 to 1200cal, 90% fat). And with the fat fast sometimes, I will just do a one day fast which brings up my ketones but doesn't keep them as high for as long as the two day fast. Low intensity exercise also does it but it has to be low intensity, ie. full conversations are possible.

The other thing is that when you measure your blood ketones, you don't know whether or not those ketones came from dietary fat or stored body fat. It matters because the leaner you are the less fat your body has to burn, and depending on how easy your fat tissues give up their fatty acids to use for fuel, could be a factor. Some people can eat a much higher protein/carb ratio if there bodies are willing to give up fat to burn for energy.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #144
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
The other thing that helps is keeping warm! Especially where your subcutaneous adipose cells are found! If you don't know, where can you pinch the largest skin folds.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:20 PM   #145
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Subbing:
Hey Becky, we missed you. Still doing great? I'm hanging there.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:19 PM   #146
Junior LCF Member

Hi all. Well, todays weigh in was back down a pound. Yeah! Think I figured out what happened--wasn't my diet but a medication change! I'm on prednisone and tried again to reduce my amount I'm taking. My body is aching terribly and the weight gain was probably inflammation and swelling. Doc agrees that the discomfort is not worth the reduction in the prednisone, since I'm really not taking that much--3mg.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #147
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cindim57
Hi

I am not new to low carbing but I am new to the low carb/high fat plan, actually I am just into my first week and learning. I found this thread so I have been reading some of the posts and just wanted to slip in here and say hello. I am so happy to find you all!
Old 05-12-2013, 11:09 AM   #148
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
Hi all. Well, todays weigh in was back down a pound. Yeah! Think I figured out what happened--wasn't my diet but a medication change! I'm on prednisone and tried again to reduce my amount I'm taking.
Prednisone is known for causing weight gain, so you may well be losing weight and not seeing - i.e. you lose 2 lbs. of fat, but gain 3 lbs. of water from the prednisone. With low carbing, you're often better off going by how your clothing fits rather than the number on the scale, because it can fluctuate so wildly. Keep working your plan and in time you should see the numbers going down again.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:22 AM   #149
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Happy Mother's Day everyone!

I feel rather like I'm here for confession...Sunday morning, darkened room, and hushed voices. Bless me, Father, for I have sinned....

I've been off for a while because I got a terrible respiratory infection and could hardly swallow for 3 days. Thank God for doctors and antibiotics! I didn't eat much, and what I did eat was carby. I didn't go too far over the 50 carb/max most days, but as you can imagine my weight is up and I'm bloated.

Now that the drugs are kicking in and I can eat normally again, I'm having a hard time remembering how to eat low-carb. Nothing high-fat sounds good right now, which may be a side effect of the meds. The only thing that sounds good is strawberries, but eating fruit really kicks me out of ketosis. My morning omelette looked so lonely this morning...I really wanted to add toast to the plate. I think I need to go back to an induction week just to get things going right, or maybe do a fat fast.

BTW, has anyone heard from RedDarin this week?
Old 05-12-2013, 12:26 PM   #150
Junior LCF Member

morning weigh in--happy mother's day to me-back down to 157! Yeah. Went back up to my usual strength of prednisone and just staying the nk course. Hoping for a continued loss! Mother's day will be an easy stay on plan day--bbqing at home.
Hope all the moms out there have a wonderful day!
Closed Thread