Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 08:24 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gretalyn
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: off and on since 2004, on to stay since March 2011
Which Atkins shake is more NK-friendly?

I know that packaged/processed foods are not ideal. I really do. But there are a specific set of circumstances in my life, occurring two to three times a week, during which reality dictates that I simply am going to drink an Atkins shake. So the question is, which one is better for NK: Advantage or DayBreak?

Advantage shakes have more protein (15g) but less carbohydrate (5 total, 2 from fiber).

DayBreak shakes have less protein (10g) and more carbohydrate (10 total, 7 from fiber, apparently from polydextrose, about which I know absolutely nothing.)

Both have 9g of fat.

Thoughts?

Greta
Gretalyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2013, 08:33 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretalyn View Post
I know that packaged/processed foods are not ideal. I really do. But there are a specific set of circumstances in my life, occurring two to three times a week, during which reality dictates that I simply am going to drink an Atkins shake. So the question is, which one is better for NK: Advantage or DayBreak?

Advantage shakes have more protein (15g) but less carbohydrate (5 total, 2 from fiber).

DayBreak shakes have less protein (10g) and more carbohydrate (10 total, 7 from fiber, apparently from polydextrose, about which I know absolutely nothing.)

Both have 9g of fat.

Thoughts?
If you have to, I'd say the Advantage shakes because there's less carbs and just be careful you count the protein into your totals the rest of the day
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:02 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Melanie! I was thinking the same thing, mostly because I don't know what polydextrose is and I'm not sure what, if any, impact it would have on blood glucose. 15g of protein is a smidge more than I would prefer, but it's probably better than polydextrose, right?
Old 05-02-2013, 09:10 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DesertRose
Another suggestion: I use one half of an Atkins Advantage shake (love the new screw on lids) and add about two ounces of HWC to it. Makes for a richer taste and may be more NK friendly.
DesertRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:18 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Polydextrose seems to be an indigestible synthetic polymer of glucose... so in other words, a synthetic food additive they're using now to bulk up and improve the taste of foods (especially foods targeted at the low carb market apparently) without adding sugar or actual REAL fiber.

From what I've read, I wouldn't necessarily trust it either... or at the very least I'd minimize it. It seems to cause GI distress in some folks, but since it's a polymer of glucose I really can't say what it'd do to your BG either. It's not a real source of dietary fiber either, so people seem skeptical over whether or not they should be able to claim it's an actual source of fiber.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:18 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRose View Post
Another suggestion: I use one half of an Atkins Advantage shake (love the new screw on lids) and add about two ounces of HWC to it. Makes for a richer taste and may be more NK friendly.
That's probably what I'd do too if I got stuck drinking them... but I make all my own shakes now and am MUCH happier with the results from that. The Atkins ones actually stalled me, believe it or not
Old 05-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Oooh, that's a great idea DesertRose! Sounds yummy!

This is at a time when I can't run the blender, but I could certainly pour it into a glass and stir in some HWC.

Last edited by Gretalyn; 05-02-2013 at 09:26 AM..
Old 05-02-2013, 09:21 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindroproses View Post
Polydextrose seems to be an indigestible synthetic polymer of glucose... so in other words, a synthetic food additive they're using now to bulk up and improve the taste of foods (especially foods targeted at the low carb market apparently) without adding sugar or actual REAL fiber.

From what I've read, I wouldn't necessarily trust it either... or at the very least I'd minimize it. It seems to cause GI distress in some folks, but since it's a polymer of glucose I really can't say what it'd do to your BG either. It's not a real source of dietary fiber either, so people seem skeptical over whether or not they should be able to claim it's an actual source of fiber.
Thank you so much for this information! I think I will try to avoid polydextrose.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:08 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
FWIW, I've used polydextrose in cooking (there's a pretty big thread in the recipe forum about it). It provides the thickening and caramelizing effects of sugar without adding much sweetness, and it also adds fiber. I do limit my intake because of the GI issues - no more than 2 servings in a day, especially if you're not used to it.

All that said, I'm not a fan of the Atkins shakes -- too many chemicals. Can you take along a shaker cup (not a blender) and make your own shakes? I agree with DesertRose's suggestion of adding HWC, at the very least.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:16 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Here is some info on polyd from our LC experts on LCF>

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ydextrose.html

Last edited by drjlocarb; 05-28-2013 at 07:30 AM..
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:11 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: April04
Stats: 216/190/150
WOE: NK 80/15/5
Start Date: April 4, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindroproses View Post
That's probably what I'd do too if I got stuck drinking them... but I make all my own shakes now and am MUCH happier with the results from that. The Atkins ones actually stalled me, believe it or not
Can you share how you make your shakes? I'd love to be able to do that for a change, but not sure where to start.
Thanks!
April04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:44 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
I use almond milk, whey protein powder, 1 TB of fat (HWC, nut oil, peanut butter or 1/2 an avocado), 1 tsp of psyllium husk and 1/4 tsp glucomannan (the last two elements are optional - I like them for fiber and thickening...you can use 1 TB chia seed for the same purposes). Depending on the flavor, I may add dark cocoa or a squirt of Crystal Lite. It's a variation on a "perfect smoothie" recipe I found online a while back – the original author uses 1/4 cup of berries as well, but I don't eat fruit. The fat is important - without it, I get hungry again in an hour. This combo keeps me going until lunch.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:13 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: April04
Stats: 216/190/150
WOE: NK 80/15/5
Start Date: April 4, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
I use almond milk, whey protein powder, 1 TB of fat (HWC, nut oil, peanut butter or 1/2 an avocado), 1 tsp of psyllium husk and 1/4 tsp glucomannan (the last two elements are optional - I like them for fiber and thickening...you can use 1 TB chia seed for the same purposes). Depending on the flavor, I may add dark cocoa or a squirt of Crystal Lite. It's a variation on a "perfect smoothie" recipe I found online a while back – the original author uses 1/4 cup of berries as well, but I don't eat fruit. The fat is important - without it, I get hungry again in an hour. This combo keeps me going until lunch.
Thank you, MerryKate! That sounds delicious! Once I'm more solid in my NK, I'm going to try this!
April04 is offline   Reply With Quote