Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   Which Atkins shake is more NK-friendly? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/803276-atkins-shake-more-nk-friendly.html)

Gretalyn 05-02-2013 07:24 AM

Which Atkins shake is more NK-friendly?
 
I know that packaged/processed foods are not ideal. I really do. But there are a specific set of circumstances in my life, occurring two to three times a week, during which reality dictates that I simply am going to drink an Atkins shake. So the question is, which one is better for NK: Advantage or DayBreak?

Advantage shakes have more protein (15g) but less carbohydrate (5 total, 2 from fiber).

DayBreak shakes have less protein (10g) and more carbohydrate (10 total, 7 from fiber, apparently from polydextrose, about which I know absolutely nothing.)

Both have 9g of fat.

Thoughts?

raindroproses 05-02-2013 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gretalyn (Post 16405107)
I know that packaged/processed foods are not ideal. I really do. But there are a specific set of circumstances in my life, occurring two to three times a week, during which reality dictates that I simply am going to drink an Atkins shake. So the question is, which one is better for NK: Advantage or DayBreak?

Advantage shakes have more protein (15g) but less carbohydrate (5 total, 2 from fiber).

DayBreak shakes have less protein (10g) and more carbohydrate (10 total, 7 from fiber, apparently from polydextrose, about which I know absolutely nothing.)

Both have 9g of fat.

Thoughts?

If you have to, I'd say the Advantage shakes because there's less carbs and just be careful you count the protein into your totals the rest of the day :)

Gretalyn 05-02-2013 08:02 AM

Thanks Melanie! I was thinking the same thing, mostly because I don't know what polydextrose is and I'm not sure what, if any, impact it would have on blood glucose. 15g of protein is a smidge more than I would prefer, but it's probably better than polydextrose, right?

DesertRose 05-02-2013 08:10 AM

Another suggestion: I use one half of an Atkins Advantage shake (love the new screw on lids) and add about two ounces of HWC to it. Makes for a richer taste and may be more NK friendly.

raindroproses 05-02-2013 08:18 AM

Polydextrose seems to be an indigestible synthetic polymer of glucose... so in other words, a synthetic food additive they're using now to bulk up and improve the taste of foods (especially foods targeted at the low carb market apparently) without adding sugar or actual REAL fiber.

From what I've read, I wouldn't necessarily trust it either... or at the very least I'd minimize it. It seems to cause GI distress in some folks, but since it's a polymer of glucose I really can't say what it'd do to your BG either. It's not a real source of dietary fiber either, so people seem skeptical over whether or not they should be able to claim it's an actual source of fiber.

raindroproses 05-02-2013 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertRose (Post 16405231)
Another suggestion: I use one half of an Atkins Advantage shake (love the new screw on lids) and add about two ounces of HWC to it. Makes for a richer taste and may be more NK friendly.

That's probably what I'd do too if I got stuck drinking them... but I make all my own shakes now and am MUCH happier with the results from that. The Atkins ones actually stalled me, believe it or not :p

Gretalyn 05-02-2013 08:19 AM

Oooh, that's a great idea DesertRose! Sounds yummy!

This is at a time when I can't run the blender, but I could certainly pour it into a glass and stir in some HWC.

Gretalyn 05-02-2013 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raindroproses (Post 16405248)
Polydextrose seems to be an indigestible synthetic polymer of glucose... so in other words, a synthetic food additive they're using now to bulk up and improve the taste of foods (especially foods targeted at the low carb market apparently) without adding sugar or actual REAL fiber.

From what I've read, I wouldn't necessarily trust it either... or at the very least I'd minimize it. It seems to cause GI distress in some folks, but since it's a polymer of glucose I really can't say what it'd do to your BG either. It's not a real source of dietary fiber either, so people seem skeptical over whether or not they should be able to claim it's an actual source of fiber.

Thank you so much for this information! I think I will try to avoid polydextrose.

MerryKate 05-27-2013 10:08 PM

FWIW, I've used polydextrose in cooking (there's a pretty big thread in the recipe forum about it). It provides the thickening and caramelizing effects of sugar without adding much sweetness, and it also adds fiber. I do limit my intake because of the GI issues - no more than 2 servings in a day, especially if you're not used to it.

All that said, I'm not a fan of the Atkins shakes -- too many chemicals. Can you take along a shaker cup (not a blender) and make your own shakes? I agree with DesertRose's suggestion of adding HWC, at the very least.

drjlocarb 05-28-2013 06:16 AM

Here is some info on polyd from our LC experts on LCF>

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ydextrose.html

April04 05-30-2013 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raindroproses (Post 16405253)
That's probably what I'd do too if I got stuck drinking them... but I make all my own shakes now and am MUCH happier with the results from that. The Atkins ones actually stalled me, believe it or not :p

Can you share how you make your shakes? I'd love to be able to do that for a change, but not sure where to start.
Thanks!

MerryKate 05-30-2013 10:44 PM

I use almond milk, whey protein powder, 1 TB of fat (HWC, nut oil, peanut butter or 1/2 an avocado), 1 tsp of psyllium husk and 1/4 tsp glucomannan (the last two elements are optional - I like them for fiber and thickening...you can use 1 TB chia seed for the same purposes). Depending on the flavor, I may add dark cocoa or a squirt of Crystal Lite. It's a variation on a "perfect smoothie" recipe I found online a while back – the original author uses 1/4 cup of berries as well, but I don't eat fruit. The fat is important - without it, I get hungry again in an hour. This combo keeps me going until lunch.

April04 05-31-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MerryKate (Post 16448059)
I use almond milk, whey protein powder, 1 TB of fat (HWC, nut oil, peanut butter or 1/2 an avocado), 1 tsp of psyllium husk and 1/4 tsp glucomannan (the last two elements are optional - I like them for fiber and thickening...you can use 1 TB chia seed for the same purposes). Depending on the flavor, I may add dark cocoa or a squirt of Crystal Lite. It's a variation on a "perfect smoothie" recipe I found online a while back the original author uses 1/4 cup of berries as well, but I don't eat fruit. The fat is important - without it, I get hungry again in an hour. This combo keeps me going until lunch.

Thank you, MerryKate! That sounds delicious! Once I'm more solid in my NK, I'm going to try this!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:00 PM.