Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 06:40 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Is it possible that fat fasting improves ketones?

I had a stomach flu and wasn't able to eat anything for 48hrs and the strange thing is that ever since my blood ketones have been much higher, even though I have been low carb for a few months now. I am getting results that indicate that the level of carbs doesn't seem to influence my blood ketones as much as being forced into a fast did. Is this possible? It makes sense, based on how the Atkins diet is structured. It is like the fast shocked my body into becoming more efficient at burning fat for energy. I know I am definitely still under 50g carbs a day but probably very close to 50g and maybe even over 50 with the net carbs since I subtract the fiber.

Does this sound right.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2013, 07:41 AM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
whatever answer people have for that speculation, please don't confuse fasting with a "fat fast." a "fat fast" as I'm sure you know involves eating quite a bit of fat but almost nothing else.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:15 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
This is not a fat fast. Look up what a fat fast is, punkin. Please don't confuse people with this post.
mizzcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

I didn't say that what I did was a fat fast. I think my original post said that I was not able to eat for 48hrs because I had the stomach flu. I was wondering if there might be relationship between the two, and I was hoping for some feedback with people that might have more knowledge in either of those areas. Hopefully I will get some. 8)
Old 04-21-2013, 11:49 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
The title of your thread says "fat fasting".
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:29 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Yes, a fat fast is a special diet created by Dr. Atkins. It lasts for roughly 3 days. It is a very high fat diet. You can google it to get the details but basically it is very low calorie and takes in a lot of fat as the main source of energy.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:45 AM   #7
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Is it possible that fat fasting improves ketones?

Then answer to this question is yes. That is the intention and design of a fat fast.

What you describe is an unintended fast (i.e. no food). It is quite conceivable that your ketones would increase, particularly if you were eating enough carbs or protein to inhibit ketosis.

Once you have been back to eating 'normally' (whatever that is to you) over a week or so, I bet your #'s return to whatever they were prior to your illness.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:19 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post

Then answer to this question is yes. That is the intention and design of a fat fast.

What you describe is an unintended fast (i.e. no food). It is quite conceivable that your ketones would increase, particularly if you were eating enough carbs or protein to inhibit ketosis.

Once you have been back to eating 'normally' (whatever that is to you) over a week or so, I bet your #'s return to whatever they were prior to your illness.
Thanks so much. I was wondering if the ketones went up during fat fasts. I couldn't eat a lot of food after the stomach flu passed and my meals resembled what appears on the fat fast menus. I noticed that my blood ketones were still high eating this way, and now even though I have returned to normal eating, they still are high. I guess I should be expecting them to go back down to the previous levels in the near future. I'll be on the lookout for that now.