Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013, 05:51 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rotay60
Stats: 142/136.6/110 for now, 4'11 1/2"
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Re-start again 7/21/14 135/135.4/110ish
Another question...

I am reading and watching a lot of videos regarding this woe, however, I have not seen this answered:

How is this so different from Atkins? I see the carbs are a bit higher at the start, maybe less protein????

Just wondering. Thanks
rotay60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2013, 07:13 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotay60 View Post
I am reading and watching a lot of videos regarding this woe, however, I have not seen this answered:

How is this so different from Atkins? I see the carbs are a bit higher at the start, maybe less protein????

Just wondering. Thanks
Well, for one I know Atkins subtracts fiber and sugar alcohols while NK does not and it only looks at the TOTAL carbs... of course I don't think Atkins 72 subtracts fiber either, but I could be wrong there. I don't follow it

Also, I don't believe Atkins has to be high fat. Certainly moderate fat at least because LC is not generally supposed to be a low fat diet... but I do think Atkins tends to have a bit more moderate fat in exchange for more carbs for the non 72 plan (since you're not counting fiber) and for more protein more than likely.

We also don't have a carb ladder either, and don't exclude ourselves from certain types of food at different stages only to add them back in later. With NK it seems like you either eat things within your allowance of total carbs for the day, or you don't. Does that make sense?

Most of our focus is on keeping the fat up, and monitoring protein intake... at least that's how my focus skews. I keep my carbs lower than most on Atkins, at under 20 a day every day TOTAL. Not deducting fiber. So what I'm doing looks more like an extended, very strict induction pretty much

Some of us test urine or blood ketones as well to keep track of how our body is producing them, and how deeply we're in ketosis and often tweak our diets to promote higher ketone production too.

I've never actually looked into the Eat Fat Get Thin diet yet, but from the name I always assumed THAT diet was pretty close to what we're doing with NK... but heck, for all I know it might be completely different too
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:19 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Atkins is a ketogenic diet that will work for most people by lowering carb levels. When/if that is no longer working, NK is a tool that gives you a chance to monitor how different tweeks and dietary changes will change your ketosis status. Most people can lose without the restriction and testing of NK.

NK is more precise in the amount of carbs, protein, and calories(fat) needed to get blood ketones in a defined range of 0.5-3.0 and lose weight.

Although some people can lose weight without being in this strict ketone range, others need to test and change things methodically to achieve the ever elusive weight loss zone. It is helpful for those who can't lose without testing to see IF they are really in ketosis and the fat burning process is optimized. It is also helpful for those who are exercising to optimise performance.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:32 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Read this thread Rotay60:

Nutritional Ketosis v. Atkins
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:48 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rotay60
Stats: 142/136.6/110 for now, 4'11 1/2"
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Re-start again 7/21/14 135/135.4/110ish
Thanks so much for the responses. This has helped a bunch, especially the thread that reddarin shared.
rotay60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:29 AM   #6
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
Atkins is a ketogenic diet that will work for most people by lowering carb levels. When/if that is no longer working, NK is a tool that gives you a chance to monitor how different tweeks and dietary changes will change your ketosis status. Most people can lose without the restriction and testing of NK.

NK is more precise in the amount of carbs, protein, and calories(fat) needed to get blood ketones in a defined range of 0.5-3.0 and lose weight.

Although some people can lose weight without being in this strict ketone range, others need to test and change things methodically to achieve the ever elusive weight loss zone. It is helpful for those who can't lose without testing to see IF they are really in ketosis and the fat burning process is optimized. It is also helpful for those who are exercising to optimise performance.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:16 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
I don't know if just following the rules of NK alone though will be better for weight loss even if atkins doesn't work for some people. The Moore and Phinney long term stalls podcast is very enlightening. The testing is probably necessary to really determine if you are in ketosis.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote