Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   NK Without Counting? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/802247-nk-without-counting.html)

Knittering 04-16-2013 09:04 AM

NK Without Counting?

Hi guys!

Does anyone here do NK without weighing and/or measuring their food?

I'd really like to give this a try because I do best on high fat/moderate protein/low carb, but weighing, measuring, counting, etc. is highly triggering for me. I'm thinking about just doing the weighing/measuring part for a week or so to get a good idea of what I should be eating to hit the correct percentages and generally following other people's menus.

Any advice would be appreciated! :newbie:

raindroproses 04-16-2013 12:00 PM

I don't personally do that myself, but I don't see why you wouldn't be able to make that work for you :) To me, the most important things are making sure I don't go WAY over (or under) on protein and trying to keep it as low carb as possible... so once you have an idea of what your ideal amount of protein is for the day (there's some great information on that in the April thread on the first page btw!) and what that corresponds to as far as your meat/cheese/nuts/other protein for the day, it should be pretty simple to stick to NK without measuring!

For instance, I know that I can definitely eat 8oz of meat at dinner and still have some protein the rest of the day without going over... if I wanted a 10oz steak though, I'd cut the rest of my protein for the day down to next to nothing. Does that make sense? I hope so! LOL

I'm not sure if it'd be triggering for you to pick up a blood ketone meter, or even the urine test strips for ketones and use those... but if not, that would be a GREAT tool for you when you're not measuring food. These would tell you if your body is producing ketones (essential for NK) and you'd notice a fluctuation this way if you ate something off plan/ate too much of something that you didn't track :)

robbelkk 04-16-2013 12:18 PM

I think after I've really lived this WOE for a long period of time and feel comfortable eye balling things I'm typically going to eat I do hope to move out of weighing all foods. I think it will be a ways down the road but do look forward to that.

I have actually always been a fan of weighing food because when I eyeball I tend to under-estimate and short myself on servings - not cool. LOL...so weighing/measuring tends to give me more eats!...def a big fan of that LOL :)

drjlocarb 04-16-2013 02:29 PM

If you have done LC in the past, you should have a good idea on carb counts. I had to track protein for a while to get the visual on the amount. Now I don't have to track much except for keeping an eye on calories so I don't get too much fat.

reddarin 04-16-2013 02:31 PM

It is worth trying. If it doesn't work with a real casual approach you can always tighten up what you are doing later.

Knittering 04-16-2013 03:06 PM

Thank guys!! :up:

I'm gonna give this a shot.

Punkin 04-16-2013 04:21 PM

I had to track to make sure I had the right macronutrient distribution to qualify for NK. It turns out for me that I can easily eat too much protein. I measure blood ketones now though and I think if you did that you wouldn't have to track. The meter tells you if you are in NK without needing to track to meticulously.

Knittering 04-16-2013 06:24 PM

Good point about the meter, Punkin and Raindrops. I'm just not happy about the idea of a diet that requires me to literally shed blood, you know? :hyst: But the more I think about it, the more I think that would be less painful than weighing and measuring every morsel I eat.

Would those results account for protein, too?

raindroproses 04-16-2013 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knittering (Post 16377528)
Good point about the meter, Punkin and Raindrops. I'm just not happy about the idea of a diet that requires me to literally shed blood, you know? :hyst: But the more I think about it, the more I think that would be less painful than weighing and measuring every morsel I eat.

Would those results account for protein, too?

Yes, they should :) Because an excess of protein tends to cause the ketones in our systems to lessen, and our body to (at times in high enough quantities of excess protein) create an insulin response to the protein as if it were carbs, you should notice a difference on the test strip results too. If you ate too much protein, you should notice your ketones dropping... if you're eating too little though, you likely won't notice anything so it's important to at least try and keep up the minimum recommended for your "ideal" weight so you don't lose LBM in the process of burning fat.

Also, if you're not keen on shedding blood (I got my meters, but have yet to use them!) you can always try the urine test strips! I know they're not QUITE as precise as the blood testing ones are, but they work well enough for me and they'll at least tell you if you're producing ketones. I also notice the strips lighten in color during my TOM which is in line with the reading I've done into ketosis and women's TOM... my body produces less ketones at that time, and it IS reflected on the strips so I think any dietary concerns would also be reflected on there and they're a great tool to use in lieu of blood testing imo :)

Perfectdeb 04-17-2013 12:14 AM

the blood testing is expensive too, its about $50 for 10 strips here

raindroproses 04-17-2013 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectdeb (Post 16377911)
the blood testing is expensive too, its about $50 for 10 strips here

Yeah, that's what I was thinking... how is everyone actually paying to test their blood ketones all the time? I doubt my insurance would really buy my "well I HAVE insulin resistance" conversation as actually being pre-diabetic and would cover them... so they seem like they're sadly out of my league beyond the two strips I got sent with the one meter. The other meter only sent me blood glucose strips, no ketone ones :annoyed:

I was actually wondering if someone found a cheaper source out there somewhere, but it seems they're just really high!

jennefish 04-17-2013 10:57 AM

It's triggering for me too to count calories or otherwise measure and track what I eat. The last time I did keto I lost 40 lbs very easily without counting at all. I'm back on the plan and not intending to count unless I hit a wall. I did count for a few days just to figure out how much I was naturally eating without trying to restrict my intake and it was right on target, so I don't worry too much about going over macros or calories. When I follow it this is the only WOE that's worked for me without triggering me.

Punkin 04-19-2013 05:45 AM

There is a website. Google diabetesexpress and you can buy the strips for about $20 a box. When I started ketone testing I learned that I don't have to be as restrictive with carbs as I thought, that is why I found it helpful to do the testing. I was sticking with induction level carbs but it turns out I can get away with closer to 50g a day and still be in ketosis, which is helpful because it allows more variety in my diet and makes it easier.

reddarin 04-19-2013 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Punkin (Post 16382128)
There is a website. Google diabetesexpress and you can buy the strips for about $20 a box.

:(

"Precision Xtra Blood Ketone Test Strips- 10's Pack"

"WE DO NOT SHIP INTERNATIONALLY OR TO THE UNITED STATES"

"Our flat fee for orders below $150.00 is $9.00 (plus applicable taxes)"

raindroproses 04-19-2013 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reddarin (Post 16382390)
:(

"Precision Xtra Blood Ketone Test Strips- 10's Pack"

"WE DO NOT SHIP INTERNATIONALLY OR TO THE UNITED STATES"

"Our flat fee for orders below $150.00 is $9.00 (plus applicable taxes)"

Ouch :sad: Where are they even located if they don't ship internationally or to the United States? What's left? LOL. Must be a different country and they ONLY ship to their country?

reddarin 04-19-2013 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raindroproses (Post 16382400)
Ouch :sad: Where are they even located if they don't ship internationally or to the United States? What's left? LOL. Must be a different country and they ONLY ship to their country?

That site is in Canada. But I think Jimmy Moore buys from a Canadian company. He posted the name of the company somewhere on one of the N=1 pages of his site. I think it was still over $2.50 a strip though.

clackley 04-19-2013 11:45 AM

I do test ketones and have a source that charges 1.79 per ketone strip. The trick was that I had to buy 100 b.g. strips to get the 'free' meter. As I understand it, b.g. strips are quite a bit more expensive here (Canada) then in the States. I ended up spending $175 all tolled for the meter, 100 b.g. stips and 50 ketone stips. It was an expensive little experiment but at least I know that I am and likely have been in ketosis and I can tolerate a specific amount of protein and carbs.

In regards to measuring, I could not dream of going without it. My little kitchen scale is more valuable to me in terms of good information than any ol' meter!!:)

piratejenny 04-19-2013 02:55 PM

I just found a site called diabetic express that has Precision Xtra strips for $65 for 50 ($126 for 100), free shipping over $50, and is located in/ships to the US.

Mistizoom 04-19-2013 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piratejenny (Post 16383219)
I just found a site called diabetic express that has Precision Xtra strips for $65 for 50 ($126 for 100), free shipping over $50, and is located in/ships to the US.

Are you sure those aren't the gluose test strips? Both of those descriptions say "ketone strips are sold separately." The one that seems to be the ketone strips on that site is "Precision Xtra (10) Ketone", 10 strips for $47.29.

piratejenny 04-19-2013 08:54 PM

I'm not sure.
Thought it was a good deal for buying more (as opposed to 10), guess it was too good to be true! :annoyed:

However, the description is erroneous anyway because it's for the meter, not the strips.

MerryKate 04-24-2013 12:23 AM

Check ebay for the ketone strips. I've won auctions for as low as $15/box of 10, but usually paid around $20-25/box, including shipping. It's still pricey, but a lot less hassle.

Knittering 04-26-2013 07:22 AM

Thanks, I ordered some. Much cheaper than the blood-testing strips. :)