Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   Who manages their FAT sources? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/802149-who-manages-their-fat-sources.html)

Liz1959 04-14-2013 06:49 PM

Who manages their FAT sources?

I'm reading A&S of LCL and noticed how much Phinney talks about monounsaturated fats. I don't see that reflected in these threads and wonder if others are tracking them. One study mentioned 36 grams of daily saturated fat.
Is anyone else paying attention to this?

Perfectdeb 04-14-2013 09:06 PM

rather than manage my fat sources i tend to avoid the undesirable fat sources like seed oils and trans fats - everything else can take care of itself :)

oh, but i do religiously take krill oil and flax seed oil

Gretalyn 04-15-2013 09:59 AM

The fats that come naturally packaged with the proteins that I eat (eggs, dairy, meat, etc.) all have the right kind of fat profile, so I don't worry about them. The fats that I keep on hand for cooking and for making dressings, sauces, etc. are: red palm oil, coconut oil, olive oil, heavy cream, butter. I like to add a bit of sesame oil to Asian dishes for flavor. I also eat nuts and nut butters. And I take fish oil supplements.

Vegetable oil, corn oil, canola oil, soybean oil, margarine, and shortening are not permitted in my home!

That's the only "managing" that I do. I don't count monounsaturated versus saturated.

reddarin 04-15-2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liz1959 (Post 16373229)
I'm reading A&S of LCL and noticed how much Phinney talks about monounsaturated fats. I don't see that reflected in these threads and wonder if others are tracking them. One study mentioned 36 grams of daily saturated fat.

You are referring to the study on page 107?

They weren't recommending 36g as a dietary guideline. They wrote the book to educate health care/nutrition professionals and they were quoting the 36g study to prove that eating sat fat, while LC, lowers blood fat levels. According the the mainstream dogma that is impossible.

I get the impression that Phinney likes olive oil and that is why he is a fan of monounsaturated. He's been a fan of it for decades. So it isn't that he dislikes saturated fat but that he has an olive oil habit.

I don't track individual sat/mono/poly levels. I avoid polys and eat the heck out of either of the other two :)

clackley 04-15-2013 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liz1959 (Post 16373229)

Yes I do. As others have said, I use animal fat and coconut oil and olive oil and really limit nuts and don't use seed oils with the exception of the occasional sesame oil.