Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   Low blood ketones? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/802102-low-blood-ketones.html)

Punkin 04-14-2013 07:04 AM

Low blood ketones?

I am just wondering if anyone has any experience with low blood ketones in NK. Right now my ketones are ranging between 0.3mmol to .9mmol. With the higher values being in the middle to late afternoon. Right now I am eating 30g carbs, 60 - 80g protein, and about 115 to 125g fat a day. Its around 1500 cal/day. To me it seems strange that my ketones are so low, considering you are supposed to be at least over 0.5 mmol to be in NK.

Has anyone else had this issue or can give me advice on how to raise my blood ketones? I am not plagued by inappropriate hunger or food cravings, so until I started measuring my ketones, I wasn't really concerned. I am not really losing a lot of weight either, maybe about 1/2lb a month. I am thinking I should be trying to get them a bit higher though to feed my brain properly.

clackley 04-14-2013 09:16 AM

Do you consume c.o. or mtc oil? Those are both ketogenic and may help improve your #s.

Punkin 04-14-2013 11:39 AM

A lot of my carbs come from cream. I think cream has MCT. But I can try adding CO, thanks.

drjlocarb 04-14-2013 12:33 PM

I have found when I eat a protein heavy lunch and a fat heavy dinner, the AM ketones are higher. If I eat the opposite, the AM ketones are lower, 0.4- 0.5. I don't test in the afternoon unless I feel sleepy/shaky and usually the ketones are fine, but the glucose is really low(20 lower than the AM glucose).

reddarin 04-14-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Punkin (Post 16372100)
Right now I am eating 30g carbs

Net carbs or total carbs?

Punkin 04-17-2013 07:08 AM

Those are net carbs. I subtract the fiber only. I am about 45g total.

clackley 04-19-2013 10:38 AM

I don't think I could maintain my ketone levels with that many carbs. It is truly an individual thing so you should try cutting back and see if that changes our ketone levels.

Punkin 04-20-2013 05:35 AM

Its funny, but I had a bad stomach flu for 48hrs and couldn't eat anything at all. I wasn't able to measure my blood ketones either, but when I returned to eating, my ketones were much higher. My ketones have been higher ever since. For the past three days I have been eating more carbs, just because I am not able to get most of the low carb foods I normally eat, so I am having to settle for things like regular cream, common veggies and nuts. Things that are all higher in carbs, and yet it has not affected my level of ketones at all. It is like being in the fasted mode for those 48hrs shocked my body into more efficient fat burning, that has nothing to do with the level of carbs.

Perplexity 06-01-2013 07:06 AM

Speaking to the weight loss part... my experience is thankfully not typical, but I have to say I only maintain weight on 1400-1500 cal a day. I am lethargic because my body adapts my activity level to match this calorie level, I never ever feel good and then the scale doesn't budge either so I am really suffering for nothing. It is horrid.

The answer for me has been to drop well below this calorie threshold. At 1000-1200 my energy level shoots back up and I begin to lose well, so long as I keep protein low.

I think this may be because I have a lot of the traits that make it harder to lose anyway... female, 40s, perimenopause, prediabetic. But it could be my body is just awesome at adjusting my activity level to the available food supply. :)

drjlocarb 06-01-2013 09:48 AM

Perplexity, that is very interesting. Are your blood ketone readings the same with both calorie levels?

Perplexity 06-11-2013 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drjlocarb (Post 16450045)
Perplexity, that is very interesting. Are your blood ketone readings the same with both calorie levels?

I look forward to answering that question with precision-- I get my meter in a couple weeks.