Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 07:22 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: klewis0906
What are you eating today???

I'm stalled on the Atkins approach. It appears I may have been eating too much protein and not enough fat. Looking for some menu suggestions. Thanks for sharing what has been working for you.
klewis0906 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2013, 09:25 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Check out this old thread:

Daily Menus-High Fat/Moderate Protein/Low Carb

...and maybe this thread:

NK (High Fat Diet, Medium Protein, Low Carb) Grocery List

...and we are working on a menu planning thread, in the rough draft stage right now:

Rough Draft - NK Menu Planning
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:37 AM   #3

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
this could be your problem! however, we are also subject to a LOT of fads in the dieting world. this is one of the two bigger ones now. I do not think this is a widespread problem. there are certainly people who need to restrict protein, but I would guess that at least 80-90% of the time it's just a simple matter of eating too much, not the percent of fat and protein. it doesn't hurt to try it!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:03 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Thanks!
Old 04-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
NK is a fad?

No. It is a refinement of LC. And a very effective one for people. But it calling it a fad is a great way to denigrate it.
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:18 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
this could be your problem! however, we are also subject to a LOT of fads in the dieting world. this is one of the two bigger ones now. I do not think this is a widespread problem. there are certainly people who need to restrict protein, but I would guess that at least 80-90% of the time it's just a simple matter of eating too much, not the percent of fat and protein. it doesn't hurt to try it!
NK is no more a fad than Atkins or other variants of low carb. It may not be for everyone, but calling it a fad is kind of insulting to those of us who are following this diet.

I really don't get why you would come on a support forum and bash other people's woe.
lisamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:30 AM   #7
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
This is a persistent 'belief' here and just about any weight loss realms. If one can't lose, then they must simply be eating too much. The simplicity of the notion is enticing but there are so many other factors that it is kind of laughable to think that could be the answer.

N.K. has been around for a long time but not necessarily identified as such. It is simply ketosis brought on by food choices rather than by starving. It has been further refined in a small way by placing importance on the # of grams of protein required. But it is basically an Atkins plan. That has been around for at least 40yrs so I would hardly classify it as a 'fad'.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:43 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Can someone please define what "fad" means to them? Because I can see how people would consider NK to be a fad. I would like to understand why it isn't just like every other type of diet out there that people are following religiously.

OP, how much weight do you have to lose? Also what are your stats? Height, weight, M/F, age. How long have you be doing atkins? And which phase are you in?

Last edited by Punkin; 04-11-2013 at 07:45 AM..
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:10 AM   #9
Chatty Cathy

Definition of fad diet....

Quote:
Noun 1. fad diet - a reducing diet that enjoys temporary popularity
obesity diet, reducing diet - a diet designed to help you lose weight (especially fat)
I think the bolded words are the key in this instance.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:12 AM   #10
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by klewis0906 View Post
I'm stalled on the Atkins approach. It appears I may have been eating too much protein and not enough fat. Looking for some menu suggestions. Thanks for sharing what has been working for you.
Sorry I neglected to answer your question....I post my daily menu on the main board and there are others there that do the same. It is under the title of 'It's THURSDAY.... what are you eating today?'
Old 04-11-2013, 03:38 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Definition of fad diet....

I think the bolded words are the key in this instance.
Another definition I've seen is that a fad diet is based on popularity and not scientific information. Phinney & Volek have done their own research and cited the work of others in their books.

If someone had an objective criticism of the science behind their recommendations I'd be interested in reading about it, but it seems to me that NK is based on science and not a silly fad like that cabbage soup diet.
lisamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:52 PM   #12
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamt View Post
Another definition I've seen is that a fad diet is based on popularity and not scientific information. Phinney & Volek have done their own research and cited the work of others in their books.

If someone had an objective criticism of the science behind their recommendations I'd be interested in reading about it, but it seems to me that NK is based on science and not a silly fad like that cabbage soup diet.
Agreed!
Old 04-11-2013, 10:40 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Sorry I neglected to answer your question....I post my daily menu on the main board and there are others there that do the same. It is under the title of 'It's THURSDAY.... what are you eating today?'
Thank you. I did review that post, but most appear to be doing the "regular" low carb. I was looking for the menus where people are doing the high fat, lower protein. I eventually went online and purchased the Fat Fast Recipe book. That will help me up the "good" fat intake.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:17 AM   #14
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by klewis0906 View Post
Thank you. I did review that post, but most appear to be doing the "regular" low carb. I was looking for the menus where people are doing the high fat, lower protein. I eventually went online and purchased the Fat Fast Recipe book. That will help me up the "good" fat intake.
Great idea! I also use an on-line food tracker to help keep my macros in line.