Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   Slow losses, fatigue, and a doctor appt... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/801559-slow-losses-fatigue-doctor-appt.html)

UOMyst13 04-08-2013 07:57 AM

Slow losses, fatigue, and a doctor appt...

Hi All!
Been crazy busy so haven't posted in a bit, but I'm back for a little advice.
So far, lbs lost is
January: 9
Feb: 3
March: 0
April: 0

My macros and food have basically stayed the same. I aim for net carbs under 25, protein 50-70g, and fill the rest with fat grams. Sodium at 2-5g a day. I drink plenty-water, powerade zero, and tea. one cup of coffee in the morning. I usually stay around the 1200-1400 range. I went up to 1700 (same macros almost) for a weekend and gained 3 lbs and spent the rest of march getting back down to what I was. So kinda scared of going up anymore on calories.
I am 26F, 5'4, 153.8 (weighed in 1.5lbs heavier this morning...water weight?)
I'm taking multi vitamin, omega 3 fish pills, vitamin d, magnesium, and b vitamins. I can't take potassium supplements due to birth control. Apparently the kind I'm taking "stores" potassium and its easy to overdose.

I also have been really struggling with fatigue. I have tried to pick up my activity, but barely making it through the day without a nap. I have started a very slow walk/jog, and tons of yardwork (Spring is finally here!!).

Recently I was reading a low carb blog where the writer said she struggled with fatigue and took l-carnitine and tyrosine to help. I have started supplementing with that last week, and it has taken the edge off, but I have never gotten to that "bursting with energy" feeling some talk about.

The more I have thought about it, the more I realized I needed to go to a doctor and just get a check up on all things that may be affecting the fatigue and major slow weight loss. I have had pretty intense fatigue for the past year (before NK). The good thing is that with NK I have less "crashes" throughout the day. Before I would crash several times a day and have lots of blood sugar crashes. I don't have those anymore. Just generally tired and never quite "perk up" through the day.
Any thoughts on what I should ask the doctor to check on? I have my appt tomorrow morning. I'm not sure if he is NK friendly or low carb friendly yet. We've never had that convo. So this could be interesting....
Luckily I have had a crazy supportive husband who has encouraged me daily. At least I'm not gaining!

Anyway, any thoughts on the doctor appt? also, any encouraging words to share?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Jbinme 04-08-2013 08:25 AM

:console:
I'd get your thyroid checked. I'm hypothyroid and take meds for it. I'm pretty sure mines off right now because I feel unusually tired.
I hope it gets figured out. It's so nice when we see a pay off for the hard work.

Jbinme 04-08-2013 08:27 AM

I also wonder about the BC you mentioned. Can't that make it hard to lose sometimes?

reddarin 04-08-2013 08:28 AM

Hang in there!

"I went up to 1700 (same macros almost) for a weekend and gained 3 lbs "

I completely understand the angst but 600 to 1000 total extra calories over a weekend will not result in 3 pounds of fat gain.

Fatigue like that is usually symptomatic of a thyroid issue isn't it? Or maybe you are iron deficient? That causes fatigue in women too I think.

I'd ask for that panel you can get that shows your vitamin and mineral levels.

There is a great podcast, google 'jimmy moore mary vernon What Questions Should I Ask My (Non-Low-Carb Friendly) Doc' you should listen once or twice before your appointment tomorrow. Even if the doc is an LC enthusiast he may not be up to speed on some of the things Dr. Vernon covers. She also covers some important things about how a doctor's hands are tied when it comes to mainstream recommendations and Rx for various conditions. And what to do about that so you don't put your doc in an impossible position. For example, he/she *has* to write an Rx for something that you know for sure you do not want to take because it will destroy your health, accept the Rx from the doc's office but don't fill it. His obligations are fulfilled and your control of your health is maintained.

Let us know what the doc says if you don't mind. And stay strong. We are all rooting for you.

Punkin 04-08-2013 09:41 AM

Fatigue is also the result in your body down-regulating as a result of eating too low of calories. And/or poor fuel partitioning. Ie. storing nutrients instead of leaving them in the bloodstream to be used as fuel. Try bringing the calories up a bit first. If that doesn't work, try bringing up the carbs a bit. Keep them under 50g though, because you still want to remain in a ketogenic state.

UOMyst13 04-08-2013 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbinme (Post 16361070)
I also wonder about the BC you mentioned. Can't that make it hard to lose sometimes?

Sorry what is BC?

UOMyst13 04-08-2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reddarin (Post 16361075)
Hang in there!

"I went up to 1700 (same macros almost) for a weekend and gained 3 lbs "

I completely understand the angst but 600 to 1000 total extra calories over a weekend will not result in 3 pounds of fat gain.

Fatigue like that is usually symptomatic of a thyroid issue isn't it? Or maybe you are iron deficient? That causes fatigue in women too I think.

I'd ask for that panel you can get that shows your vitamin and mineral levels.

There is a great podcast, google 'jimmy moore mary vernon What Questions Should I Ask My (Non-Low-Carb Friendly) Doc' you should listen once or twice before your appointment tomorrow. Even if the doc is an LC enthusiast he may not be up to speed on some of the things Dr. Vernon covers. She also covers some important things about how a doctor's hands are tied when it comes to mainstream recommendations and Rx for various conditions. And what to do about that so you don't put your doc in an impossible position. For example, he/she *has* to write an Rx for something that you know for sure you do not want to take because it will destroy your health, accept the Rx from the doc's office but don't fill it. His obligations are fulfilled and your control of your health is maintained.

Let us know what the doc says if you don't mind. And stay strong. We are all rooting for you.

Thanks red! I will definitely listen. My biggest fear wasn't gaining, it was how crazy long to get it back off (almost a whole month)! I will let you all know what I find out?

UOMyst13 04-08-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbinme (Post 16361066)
:console:
I'd get your thyroid checked. I'm hypothyroid and take meds for it. I'm pretty sure mines off right now because I feel unusually tired.
I hope it gets figured out. It's so nice when we see a pay off for the hard work.

Did being on meds help loss and fatigue once you were diagnosed?

reddarin 04-08-2013 01:03 PM

Hypothyroidism can make it hard or impossible to lose weight and cause weight gain. But don't panic because fatigue can be caused from a zillion things.

The 3 pounds is interesting. It cannot have been fat. At least I don't see how it could have without some other major issue being present and pronounced. If it wasn't fat and it wasn't muscle then it could only have been almost entirely water weight gain. So the question is, why did your fluids bounce up like that and why did you retain the water for so long?

It is unlikely, I think, that your bodily fluids remained so steady over 30 days so that is puzzling. But that is puzzling in a larger sense too since stalls are for friggin real and can be steady as a rock. When I stalled at 205 I know I fluctuated a little bit from 203 to 206 but never under 203. I'll have to look up my weight logs from back then to see if I was recording daily weights at that time.

Was the 3 pounds steady or did you go up and down those thee pounds?

lisamt 04-08-2013 02:48 PM

I know you've already made an appointment, but you may want to google 'Jimmy Moore low carb doctor list' to see if there is a low carb friendly doctor in your area.

Good luck with the doctor visit, I hope they can figure out what is wrong.

Jbinme 04-08-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UOMyst13 (Post 16361543)
Sorry what is BC?

Birth control

Jbinme 04-08-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UOMyst13 (Post 16361551)
Did being on meds help loss and fatigue once you were diagnosed?

I was diagnosed over ten years ago. I've had to have my meds adjusted a few times. I've been able to lose weight. Sometimes easier than other times but if I'm not being careful I'll gain like nobodies business!

I actually just went to have my blood drawn today to check my levels because I can usually tell now when they are off.

clackley 04-13-2013 06:45 AM

Just before beginning low carbing (for the second time) my thyroid (TSH) was high and after consistent low carbing, it fell back into the 'normal range' and stayed there until recently when I was then put on medication for hypothyroidism. My major symptom was feeling exhausted in the middle of the afternoon. I also had freezing cold feet and hands.

It is possible, that I am again able to lose weight but too early to say for sure and still adjusting my medication.....

Hope you get it sorted out.

UOMyst13 04-24-2013 09:21 AM

So I finally got all of my blood work back. When I walked in he said he was 99% sure I had hypothyroidism. but my bloodwork came back smack dab in the middle of the mid-range.
Checked my iron, electrolytes, and vitamin D. all normal.
This is all awesome, except that they have no idea why I have fatigue and slow weight loss.
So back to tinkering with diet and upping my activity levels. I am going to start walking, maybe lightly jogging 3 times a week, and weight lifting 1-2 times a week. I'm hoping that that will up my energy levels more than anything.
My next step with diet is lowing carbs again (sad, sad day). Maybe my birth control is making this harder than it should be?
I am also going to have just bulletproof coffee for breakfast and try some intermittent fasting.
If you have anymore suggestions, I'd love to hear them!
Thanks for reading!

UOMyst13 04-24-2013 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reddarin (Post 16361631)
Hypothyroidism can make it hard or impossible to lose weight and cause weight gain. But don't panic because fatigue can be caused from a zillion things.

The 3 pounds is interesting. It cannot have been fat. At least I don't see how it could have without some other major issue being present and pronounced. If it wasn't fat and it wasn't muscle then it could only have been almost entirely water weight gain. So the question is, why did your fluids bounce up like that and why did you retain the water for so long?

It is unlikely, I think, that your bodily fluids remained so steady over 30 days so that is puzzling. But that is puzzling in a larger sense too since stalls are for friggin real and can be steady as a rock. When I stalled at 205 I know I fluctuated a little bit from 203 to 206 but never under 203. I'll have to look up my weight logs from back then to see if I was recording daily weights at that time.

Was the 3 pounds steady or did you go up and down those thee pounds?

I just lost the 3 lbs slowly during the month. Every couple days it would go down .2 or so. So I "gained' 3 lbs and "lost" 3 lbs...ultimately I lost 0 that month.