Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 09:20 AM   #1
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Losing weight = ketosis???

When a person is losing weight, no matter the method (low fat, low calories, N.K. ....) are they in ketosis when weight loss is occurring?

Clearly I don't have the science background to answer my own question and I can't seem to find a clear answer when I search.

It seems to me that in order to lose body fat, one must burn the fat and that must mean that they are at least temporarily in ketosis..no?

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
no, most weight loss does not involve ketosis. it's different from the "burning fat" you think of as losing weight. ketosis only occurs when there is not enough glucose in the blood for your body to run on, and your body is not able to bring that level up by releasing glycogen from the liver or gluconeogenesis. generally that requires consuming very minimal carbs for some period of days.

similarly, someone can be in ketosis without losing any weight too.

Last edited by ravenrose; 04-05-2013 at 10:40 AM..
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:35 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: robbelkk
Stats: 263/168/150
WOE: Atkins, LCHF, NK, BFC
Start Date: Feb 2012
so for someone in ketosis not losing weight - is that because they simply don't have the deficit in calories for what they are expending?

i'm feeling like i'm in ketosis (my pee stick changed colors WOO!) and i want to lose weight. so far this week it's been great but i was losing binge weight so when i get back to the weight i've been sticking at hopefully i will see movement past that.
robbelkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:57 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
I think we throw the terms around in the absence of their actual meanings. I believe what people mean by these terms is the following, and I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong 8)

ketosis = burning fat for fuel
ketogenic state = not enough glucose so body runs on mostly free fatty acids instead of glucose
ketoadaptation = most of the cells are burning fat as fuel even if they are capable of using glucose. They have switched due to low levels of glucose/glycogen in the body.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:09 AM   #5
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
So does that mean then that body can burn fat (stored) at the same time as being a glucose burner. I kind of thought it was either or....? And not that it necessarily stays that way but rather that it switches back and forth?
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:30 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
I lost 40lbs of body fat on a moderate to high carb diet. So I would say yes. Also many people claim that they don't need to go to a ketogenic diet to lose body fat or weight. I think it is more difficult of you are a woman over the age of 40 to do that because we need so few calories for our BMR. I read somewhere that if you exercise for 1 hr a day you can't drop your calories below 1750/day if your brain is running on glucose. Of course I read that on the internet, who knows if it is actually true. I know I couldn't drop below that number on the HC diet without by body down-regulating. My daily needs are around 1500 cal/day if I do little to no exercise so I had to go to a ketogenic diet. Which means I had to go into a ketogenic state and become keto-adapted. There is a possibility though that there is a bit more to it than that. Gary Taubes in his books talks about fuel partitioning in where some people have more lipophilic tissues than others and then tend to store incoming fuels instead of using them for energy. In these people, a ketogenic diet might be the only way for them to lose weight.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote