Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   NK and Vacation (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/801107-nk-vacation.html)

helpingrachel 04-03-2013 05:59 AM

NK and Vacation

I am leaving on Saturday to stay with my little sister in Florida. We will be in a hotel for 7 days. What ideas, tricks or tips would you have as we will be eating out daily. I am renting a car so I do plan to go to the grocery store.

I have Mac nuts as one idea. I plan to exercise everyday and only have a glass of red wine if we go to happy hour. I don't know if I will even feel like having a drink but a better option as we are staying at the Margaritaville hotel. NO MARGARITAS FOR ME.

Thanks for any input as I know that I can stay on track and do plan to track but not weigh.

synger 04-03-2013 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by helpingrachel (Post 16351831)
I have Mac nuts as one idea. I plan to exercise everyday and only have a glass of red wine if we go to happy hour. I don't know if I will even feel like having a drink but a better option as we are staying at the Margaritaville hotel. NO MARGARITAS FOR ME.

When I want a margarita, I get tequila and soda with lime. Sometimes I put a half-packet of Splenda into it (but don't stir too hard or you'll lose all the bubbles).

It's really the combo of tequila and lime that I want, so this does well for me.

drjlocarb 04-03-2013 10:56 AM

Take a bunch of different sized plastic baggies and make your own "cooler" with ice at the hotel. You can get lots of LC foods at the grocery store and keep it cold in your room.

cheese
pre-cooked bacon
hard boiled eggs
cream cheese
sour cream
salsa
salad fixings
salad dressing
mayo
cooked chicken

raindroproses 04-03-2013 11:14 AM

If you do wind up dining out some place, I find that a bunless burger (with bacon, cheese, mayo, etc) is almost always one of the most NK friendly things you can order for your heavy protein meal! Burgers are generally much higher in fat than most other meat dishes, so they lend themselves really well to NK imo :)

MerryKate 04-04-2013 01:15 AM

I second the burger, but watch out for the extras - onions, ketchup and sweet pickles all add up.

Be bold in asking for low-carb substitutions, like cooked veggies or a salad. Since you'll be in Florida, enjoy the seafood - it's great down there, and definitely NK friendly. Just avoid anything breaded and deep-fried.

For an inexpensive meal, buy plain greek yogurt and flavor it with SF jam (or better still SF Torani if you can get it) and add some extra HWC.

Take along snacks: pork rinds, macadamias, almonds, peanut butter packets, cheese sticks.

Enjoy! I envy you the sunshine.:hugs:

helpingrachel 04-04-2013 04:36 PM

Thanks all! I appreciate you taking the time to give me ideas. I am prepared and will put those ideas in action. Blessings:)

reddarin 04-04-2013 05:57 PM

You might also post this question in the Lobby. More people would see it and most of the advice for LC would work for NK too.

:)