Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 06:18 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nick
Stats: 275/220/187
WOE: keto
Start Date: 1st april 2013
good ideas for meals ???

hi i was just wondering if y'all could share some meal ideas especially anything with pnut butter.
nick is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick View Post
hi i was just wondering if y'all could share some meal ideas especially anything with pnut butter.
If you check out the April thread some people post their meals daily, so I always find that to be a good source of information when I'm running low on meal ideas

That being said, peanut butter is quite high in carbs so I doubt very many of us eat it... or at least I'd imagine most of us don't eat it any quantity enough to include it in a meal. The most I've ever done with nut butters is to put a very small amount in with a fat bomb I've made before. If you check the label, you'll definitely see even the natural no sugar added stuff is pretty carb laden, so enjoy in strict moderation only!
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:35 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

how about cauliflour cheese ??
Old 04-02-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

What exactly is cauliflower cheese? Unless you're talking about cauliflower covered in cheese or something, I'm pretty sure that's something we don't have over here

Generally taking a look at the nutritional label on anything will give you a clue of whether or not it's okay. Nothing goes into my mouth anymore that I'm not completely aware of. If that's a veggie as it sounds be aware that veggies are quite high in carbs and while they're okay, you definitely need to count those carbs and watch them. On NK, we always stay below 50 TOTAL carbs. That's total, not subtracting fiber or anything like that. A carb is a carb basically, unlike Atkins which has you subtracting fiber to find a NET carb count. That being said, I stay under 20 total carbs per day pretty much 100% of the time because I have a pretty strong reaction to them. YMMV.

What you're looking for are high fat, moderate protein, low carb foods. I noticed you're still eating quite a bit of chicken breasts... those honestly aren't good NK choices, because they're very low in fat and quite high in protein. That's not to say you can't ever eat chicken while following NK, but it becomes more of a struggle at that point to control protein and increase fat intake the rest of the day when you choose a low fat protein source. That's why I eat burgers and fatty steaks whenever possible, because they're higher fat protein sources!
Old 04-02-2013, 07:37 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

cool so burgers sounds good whats hwc ?? cauliflour cheese is cauliflour cooked in a cheese sauce
Old 04-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Oh, HWC is heavy whipping cream... basically the highest fat dairy you can find out there. It's very high in fat, and very low carb. I'm not sure what they'd call it over there or how high your fat ratios go, as I know Canada has lower fat ratios in theirs than ours do in America

Cauliflower cheese sounds okay, so long as you pay attention to the serving size and the amount of carbs in both the veggie itself and the cheese sauce. Chances are if it's a cheese sauce and not real cheese it probably has some sort of thickening agent in it which will add small amount of carbs to the dish. That ought to help out with your low salt problem though, as that sounds very salty!

And of course (I'm sure you guessed this already) but bunless burgers are the way to go... just making sure you don't think we actually eat the buns or anything

Hamburger meat goes really well in other dishes as well, so feel free to experiment with it! I've made stir fries with it, and mock pasta dishes too. It's one of my staple foods because it's a very high fat protein as long as you get the most fattening variety and don't aim for the lean kind. I'm not sure how they sell it over there, but over here we have different types with differing percentages of fat in each type... I always opt for the highest fat available, when possible!
Old 04-03-2013, 12:28 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: LC: 04/11 • NK 10/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick View Post
I do eat peanut butter, in limited amounts. One of my favorite meals is a thai stir fry made of cabbage sauteed in butter, with thai green curry paste and peanut butter to make the sauce. Good stuff!

I also will have 1 TB peanut butter mixed with 1 TB coconut oil for a snack - the coconut oil prevents any carb cravings from eating the peanut butter by itself, and extends the flavor of the peanut butter, so it tastes like I'm eating 2 TB of PB instead of one. Add 1 tsp of cocoa powder and some sweetener and the flavor is like having a reese's peanut butter cup. Use that mixture to coat 1/2 oz. of pork rinds and you get a nice crunchy chocolate treat. (I know it sounds odd, but it's really good.)
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:53 AM   #8
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Here are a couple of links for great food ideas to 'fit the bill' of low carb, moderate protein, high fat.

What are your favorite high fat veggie recipes?

High fat, low to moderate protein recipes?
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:56 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kiwistars
Stats: 205/192.5/150 (6 foot tall)
WOE: atkins 1972
Start Date: 1st march
Nick as a pom you want double cream.
Cauliflower cheese would be too high carb as most of the sauce is milk and a roux of butter and flour.
a regulated amount of cauliflower with cheese,double cream and salt and pepper melted over it would make a nice fatty fake though.
kiwistars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:03 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilbeetle
Stats: 165/127/125(5'4)
WOE: Primal with intermittant M&E
Start Date: March 2013
a really good - but cheese heavy - cheese sauce:

melt a tablespoon of butter and lightly fry some diced onion. When it goes brown, deglaze the pan with a little white wine (the heat de-alcoholises it) and scrap up the brown bits. Add enough cream to make up the volume of sauce you want and add chopped blue cheese, pamesan cheese and any other cheese with a strongish flavour, over a low heat. once melted, beat in an egg of two. Remove from heat and let thicken.

I love peanut butter. I made some peanut butter biscuits last night and I am allowed one a day LOL.

I also make satay with one large tablespoon of peanutbutter in the sauce so get the flavour, but lower the overall impact per serving.
lilbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:38 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kiwistars
Stats: 205/192.5/150 (6 foot tall)
WOE: atkins 1972
Start Date: 1st march
or this one i found:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ni-cheese.html
kiwistars is offline   Reply With Quote