Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   I get it but... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/801023-i-get-but.html)

Perfectdeb 04-02-2013 04:54 AM

I get it but...
 
I'm in ketosis, I was losing weight (I've stalled) I'm a bit confused

The best advice I'm getting is to add more fat

If I'm burning body fat why will dietary fat make me burn more body fat?

raindroproses 04-02-2013 05:41 AM

Generally (the way I understand it) I assume the reasons this works out so well with NK are because dietary fat passes through the body and does not trigger an insulin response like carbs do, and like protein in excess can... and because it's important to keep your calories up! Fat contains more calories per gram than anything else, which is great along with the fact that it won't be stored as fat while in NK. I always think of eating more fat like oiling a machine :)

I'm sure there are other reasons that people can chime in with, but I'm half asleep and it's early, so that sounded reasonable to me that this was all I could come up with, LOL.

drjlocarb 04-02-2013 05:42 AM

What are your morning blood ketone readings?

When mine were high enough every day, I dropped the fat grams to see if my body was ready to use my fat to replace the dietary fat in order to lose weight.

clackley 04-02-2013 05:54 AM

The advice to add more fat is because this is a high fat, moderate protein, low carb woe and it seems a lot of people overeat protein and moderate fat in attempts to lose.

It is not just a simple case of adding more fat. When you add more fat, you also need to moderate protein intake all the while keeping carbs low (i.e. less than 50g and for many people, less than 20g). Dr. Phinney says that if at this point, one is still not losing weight then the fat grams need to be cut back.

reddarin 04-02-2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectdeb (Post 16349691)
I'm in ketosis, I was losing weight (I've stalled) I'm a bit confused

The best advice I'm getting is to add more fat

If I'm burning body fat why will dietary fat make me burn more body fat?

It is common to lose 10 or 20 pounds and then stop losing for a little bit. So you may not be doing anything particularly 'wrong'.

When people post sample menus a whole lot of them are eating a low fat low carb menu. Protein is either high or moderate. There are diets like that. I think Stillman's is one.

But for NK and LC fat should be the bulk of your calories. If you are eating 100g of protein and 30g of total carbs that is only 520 calories. Even if you were eating 150g of protein that is only about 720 calories.

Dietary fat doesn't make you burn body fat. Carb restriction and moderating protein while keeping a reasonable caloric deficit is what makes you burn body fat. Low cal has been so inured into everyone's thinking that most people assume the lower the better and that is a failing strategy.

Make sure you are eating enough.

Punkin 04-02-2013 02:22 PM

I think it depends on how close to goal you are. I had to up my fat and reduce my protein to get my body to start burning fat for energy. Once this started occurring, I found that the scale weight started decreasing. It meant decreasing carbs and protein to get enough fat, however once my diet was mostly fat, I started to see a difference. I think people that have more body fat to lose, don't necessarily have to go to the extreme of really high fat to lose, just reducing carbs will work. But from what I have read, those people can also drop a lot more weight on a weekly basis as well. I think the fat loss, or burning potential of storage fat decreases, the closer you get to goal.

Perfectdeb 04-02-2013 02:51 PM

I started at 112kgs 5 weeks ago, I'm 102 now. I usually test before breakfast and it's pretty steadily in the middle

Breakfast is usually two eggs scrambled with butter and bacon
Then a snack mid afternoon of something protein, cold chicken, roast beef etc with some cheese, plus a smoothie I make with almond milk, yoghurt, coconut milk, flax seed oil and berries, then dinner is a big green salad or a pie of veggies with steak, fish or chicken, maybe strawberries and cream for dessert

I cook everything with butter, stir fry in coconut oil/olive oil/peanut oil, I don't trim any fat, full cream milk, butter, yoghurt, cream etc

I calculated my carbs fr a few days and I'm regularly under 40, not so sure about protein and fat though, I'm guessing I'd be under the protein threshold though

Perfectdeb 04-02-2013 02:53 PM

Oh and my goal is 80kgs, then I'll decide if I should go further

Perfectdeb 04-02-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reddarin (Post 16350260)
It is common to lose 10 or 20 pounds and then stop losing for a little bit. So you may not be doing anything particularly 'wrong'.

When people post sample menus a whole lot of them are eating a low fat low carb menu. Protein is either high or moderate. There are diets like that. I think Stillman's is one.

But for NK and LC fat should be the bulk of your calories. If you are eating 100g of protein and 30g of total carbs that is only 520 calories. Even if you were eating 150g of protein that is only about 720 calories.

Dietary fat doesn't make you burn body fat. Carb restriction and moderating protein while keeping a reasonable caloric deficit is what makes you burn body fat. Low cal has been so inured into everyone's thinking that most people assume the lower the better and that is a failing strategy.

Make sure you are eating enough.


That could be it, I'm really only eating two meals a day, and most times I have to force myself to eat dinner, I'm just not hungry

Beezer Louisiana 04-02-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectdeb (Post 16350910)
I started at 112kgs 5 weeks ago, I'm 102 now. I usually test before breakfast and it's pretty steadily in the middle

Breakfast is usually two eggs scrambled with butter and bacon
Then a snack mid afternoon of something protein, cold chicken, roast beef etc with some cheese, plus a smoothie I make with almond milk, yoghurt, coconut milk, flax seed oil and berries, then dinner is a big green salad or a pie of veggies with steak, fish or chicken, maybe strawberries and cream for dessert

I cook everything with butter, stir fry in coconut oil/olive oil/peanut oil, I don't trim any fat, full cream milk, butter, yoghurt, cream etc

I calculated my carbs fr a few days and I'm regularly under 40, not so sure about protein and fat though, I'm guessing I'd be under the protein threshold though

Hmm, the smoothie would mess me up. Do you HAVE to have it? It sounds really carby to ME. (But I've been wrong before, it's been known to happen . . .) Try entering your foods into a food calculator like ****** or something like that. Get some good solid numbers on your carbs, protein and fat. It will help you.

I was on a plateau and had to cut back on protein (I don't eat more than 20 grams of carbs, if that, every day -- I just don't eat fruit or veggies, other than celery, onions -- stuff I'd normally cook my protein with.) But I was over eating on protein, apparently, so I cut back on meat and started putting butter in my coffee and I lost 4 lbs. and came off my plateau.

But I "took away" some of my protein and replaced it with butter.

Perfectdeb 04-02-2013 10:13 PM

the smoothie is only about 7 net carbs, i run anything like that through the recipe calculator site I use.

i'm really starting to think its too much protein, even though it doesn't feel like i'm getting that much

i started adding butter to my coffee this morning - just a note, DO NOT try and mix it with a stick blender, i ended up "repainting" my kitchen

Dottie 04-03-2013 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectdeb (Post 16351618)
just a note, DO NOT try and mix it with a stick blender, i ended up "repainting" my kitchen

Here's a trick. Take a plastic coffee can lid and cut a slit in it to the center. Make a hole in the center just big enough to slide the blender stem through, then you have a "collar" that will keep the splashing down to a minimum:) Just slide it over the blender stem then slide it down to the top of the cup or bowl:) (I hope I explained that so it makes sense, it's very simple to do and saves a lot of clean-up!)

helpingrachel 04-03-2013 05:55 AM

Thanks Dottie! Just purchased a stem blender yesterday. This makes so much sense.

clackley 04-03-2013 05:55 AM

Wow, great idea Dottie!!!

May60 04-03-2013 08:51 AM

Dottie! Thanks for the tip!!
May

Perfectdeb 04-03-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 16351942)
Here's a trick. Take a plastic coffee can lid and cut a slit in it to the center. Make a hole in the center just big enough to slide the blender stem through, then you have a "collar" that will keep the splashing down to a minimum:) Just slide it over the blender stem then slide it down to the top of the cup or bowl:) (I hope I explained that so it makes sense, it's very simple to do and saves a lot of clean-up!)

Good idea :) thanks


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:38 PM.