Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 03:13 PM   #2101
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Today was weird. I felt like I snacked allll day long.

1431 calories
69g protein/19.6%
25g carbs/6.4%
120g fat/74%

B: coffee w/ 1T HWC, chicken bouillon w/ 3T HWC
S: 1 HB egg w/ 1 oz sour cream
L: slice of pumpkin bake
S: 4 slices bacon, .5 oz each of walnuts and macadamias
D: slice Chicken Enchilada Bake w/ 2.5 oz sour cream

Chicken enchilada bake is the best meal on this planet, and if you beg to differ, then you're just plain wrong.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2013, 03:16 PM   #2102
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
Chicken enchilada bake is the best meal on this planet, and if you beg to differ, then you're just plain wrong.
Not gonna argue...wouldn't be prudent. Seriously, do you have a recipe for the chicken enchilada bake? I used to have a go-to chicken enchilada recipe that everyone adored, but I haven't been able to make it successfully as a low-carb dish. The sauce is never right. So, if you have found a way to capture the flavor of chicken enchiladas, I'd love to try it.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:25 PM   #2103
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
Not gonna argue...wouldn't be prudent. Seriously, do you have a recipe for the chicken enchilada bake? I used to have a go-to chicken enchilada recipe that everyone adored, but I haven't been able to make it successfully as a low-carb dish. The sauce is never right. So, if you have found a way to capture the flavor of chicken enchiladas, I'd love to try it.
Its a Linda Sue recipe, she is my favorite chef on this planet.

Green Enchilada Chicken Casserole

The only change I'd recommend is baking the chicken and then shredding it, not cubing it. Its a consistency thing for me, but the shredded allows for maximum cream sauce absorption.

I usually end up baking about 1-1.5 pounds of chicken breasts for this. Sooo good.

Also, for 2 or 3 minutes at the end, I broil that sucker. Crispy browned cheesy goodness.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:07 PM   #2104
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
WOE: NK
Start Date: January, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcase View Post
One can, just made some today!
Thanks, I know you love it.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:16 PM   #2105
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
Start Date: December 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy in Louisiana View Post
Or look at me. I'm only down about 5 lbs in 3 mo. I know that I won't lose a lot of weight fast and that's ok with me. I've abused my poor ol' body for decades and now it's payback. ha. But one thing I do know, I'm doing it right THIS time. Today I'm eating healthy and not stressing why I am not losing more and faster. Just chill. Lisa.
Oh gosh, that sucks. Your stats show that you've lost a total of 30+ lbs though, and that is an awesome achievement!

I'm thinking about getting Jenny Ruhl's latest book, because she seems to understand how difficult it is for women over 50 to lose weight. She did a podcast with Jimmy Moore that made me realize I may need to revise my goal weight. 130 lbs is in the high end of normal range for my height & frame size, but may not be realistic.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:19 PM   #2106
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
WOE: JUDDD
Today's numbers

Calories 1821
Protein 52g 11%
Carb 19g 4%
Fat 174g 85%

BPC
Bacon, avocado
Sausage, egg and cheese muffin
Beef patty, bacon grease and sugarfree ketchup
Fat bomb
Diet soda float
Bullion, butter
Old 04-28-2013, 04:23 PM   #2107
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by NKSL55 View Post
Hi Darin,
I just made it through the April posts in this thread. A more and more arduous task as the months pass...

Oh, I meant to say that I have recently been increasing the amount of CO I eat before my powerlifting workouts. I am up to 5 heaping tablespoons! Can anyone else beat that? It makes me feel a little queasy unless I mix it with some water and microwave it for about 20 seconds, then mix it up. Then it is like -- well, it is drinking oil. I liked it yesterday. I mean, I even vocalized "I love coconut oil" as I finished it. Then I thought "why did I say that?"

Each workout (3 per week) I have been going up by 1 tablespoon. My workout may (or may not) burn in excess of 1200 kcals. Prior to starting the workout, my BK level was 5.2 mM (probably before the bulk of the CO had a chance to be metabolized). After it was at 0.7 mM.

I still felt kind of stupid during the workout and it dragged out for hours. But I think I am fighting off a stomach virus.

How does that sound?

--
Phillip
No kidding arduous. I read through about 50 pages of posts on the other thread when I started back in August. Whew.

That is very interesting. I'm curious to see how it works when you are not possibly fighting sickness. Have you considered staggering your intake? Maybe 1 hour before, 30 minutes before, at start, half way through, at the end. I looked before but couldn't find it - do you have any idea how long it takes to metabolize the CO?

5.2 is well past the NK range, is that a typical reading for you?
Old 04-28-2013, 05:53 PM   #2108
Senior LCF Member

Food Log April 28, 2013

Todays Menu:

B Coffee w/creamer 3 g, 2 oz kielbasa w/ 1 egg

L 6 oz Babyback ribs w/ 1 T Guys lc BBQ sauce, 10 olives

D tuna salad w/1/2 can tuna 2 yolks and 1 whole egg, 2 T mayo pickles

S Big Red zero w/hwc

Totals:
1496 cals
127 fat
11 carb
80 protein

Must admit the ribs that DD baked today were outstanding. Finally got my Big Red and hwc from the store. Been missing them.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:33 PM   #2109
Senior LCF Member

Today's numbers: 1527 calories, 131 g fat, 75 g protein, 19 g carbs, 7 g fiber. A little higher in protein than I wanted but I'm okay with it since I just restarted.

Breakfast: scrambled eggs & sausage, coffee with coconut oil and half & half (I'm out of hwc)
Lunch: bunless cheeseburger, dill pickle, cup of chicken broth
Snack: almonds, sharp cheddar, chocolate fat bomb
Old 04-28-2013, 09:20 PM   #2110
Senior LCF Member

Last edit to food log

Omit chicken salad and add 1 c cottege cheese w/4T hwc. The ribs were too filling.

Totals:
1453 cal
122 fat
21 carb
80 protein.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:41 AM   #2111
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Log for yesterday

Calories 818

Fat 66
Pro 49
Carb 11

Breakfast salsa sausage quiche
Snack 2 pieces cocoa
Late night/ cold cut lettuce roll up

Took my Mom to the ER so we were there ALL afternoon and evening.
But I was there 8 hrs and didn't need to eat or snack. That was pretty cool.
They think she has a skeletal muscle injury but cannot rule out gall bladder. Also found a few other things but not things that were causing her pain.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:44 AM   #2112
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Weight 4/29

Weight this morning was 153.6

I did do Callanetic yesterday morning I am sore today, but didn't see a big gain. I haven't done that exercise in about a month. Guess I already got lazy since it made me sore again.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:44 AM   #2113
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Log for yesterday

Calories 818

Fat 66
Pro 49
Carb 11

Breakfast salsa sausage quiche
Snack 2 pieces cocoa
Late night/ cold cut lettuce roll up

Took my Mom to the ER so we were there ALL afternoon and evening.
But I was there 8 hrs and didn't need to eat or snack. That was pretty cool.
They think she has a skeletal muscle injury but cannot rule out gall bladder. Also found a few other things but not things that were causing her pain.
I hope all gets better with your Mom.
Appetite suppression is perfect for these kind of situations
Old 04-29-2013, 03:46 AM   #2114
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Weight this morning was 153.6

I did do Callanetic yesterday morning I am sore today, but didn't see a big gain. I haven't done that exercise in about a month. Guess I already got lazy since it made me sore again.
I was sore yesterday just from taking my kids bowling on Friday
Old 04-29-2013, 03:49 AM   #2115
Major LCF Poster!

Wt-130
I'm kinda considering calling goal at 130. It's hard to decide. I'm wearing the clothes that I wanted and my body obviously likes being at this wt but that darn125 is stuck in my head and according to those dumb charts 125 is the higher end of my wt range
Old 04-29-2013, 04:27 AM   #2116
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cpresson
Stats: 172/135/125
WOE: LCHF/Keto
Start Date: March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbinme View Post
Wt-130
I'm kinda considering calling goal at 130. It's hard to decide. I'm wearing the clothes that I wanted and my body obviously likes being at this wt but that darn125 is stuck in my head and according to those dumb charts 125 is the higher end of my wt range
I think we're the same height--5'3", right? I've got the same goal--only looking almost as much at body fat % as weight right now. I'm feeling pretty good at 133-135 but want my body fat % to come down another 5-8%. Since I gained 2.4 lbs of muscle weight last month, I'm not sure how much getting my body fat % down will equate to weight loss. I think--if you're feeling good and have met other goals, don't sweat it. If you stay with this WOE, you might just lose even more and eventually hit that goal weight anyway.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:27 AM   #2117
Junior LCF Member

133 for me today--same as yesterday
Old 04-29-2013, 04:29 AM   #2118
Junior LCF Member

Clueless, I hope they figure out what's causing your mom's pain soon, so she can get to feeling better!

Old 04-29-2013, 04:38 AM   #2119
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpresson View Post
133 for me today--same as yesterday
do you do other exercise or just run?

Yep, 5'3. I'm actually feeling more energy so at some point I'll probably try to do something to try and tone up. That'll probably make the scale go up a little. I just need to stop worrying about that 'number' too much and focus on how I feel because that's the real reason I'm doing this
Old 04-29-2013, 05:05 AM   #2120
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Myles
ughh.. something weird is going on ...

thu apr 11 319.4
<then i went to indonesia and china, got sick and ate rice and other bad stuff>
thu apr 25 322.6 (now im home)
sat apt 27 320.1
sun apr 28 316.8
mon apr 29 316.0

whats going on here?!

only thing i can think of is maybe overseas eating that stuff did a refeed of my glycogen or something and since ive been back i havent had any coffee..so going on 5 days now.. i duno.. i never lose really..esp so much, what the what

Last edited by Myles; 04-29-2013 at 05:15 AM..
Old 04-29-2013, 05:10 AM   #2121
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NKSL55
Stats: 205/185/175
WOE: General LC then NK
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
No kidding arduous. I read through about 50 pages of posts on the other thread when I started back in August. Whew.
I have mainly kept up with the main threads since, well maybe November or so. By "main threads", I mean your monthly and I used to read Kristn's monthly thread before she went AWOL in February.
Quote:
That is very interesting. I'm curious to see how it works when you are not possibly fighting sickness. Have you considered staggering your intake? Maybe 1 hour before, 30 minutes before, at start, half way through, at the end. I looked before but couldn't find it - do you have any idea how long it takes to metabolize the CO?
I don't know how long it takes to metabolize CO, but my understanding is that medium chain triglycerides skip getting packaged into lipoprotein vesicles and just get dumped into the hepatic portal vein -- straight to the liver. So, pretty fast, I think. Okay, I am presuming that the fatty acids get torn off the glycerol backbone during absorption from the gut. At least I understand that happens to all trigs.

So, I take it, these medium chain length fatty acids just spew out of the liver (bound to albumin?) into the the blood stream and get picked up by cells. Then, since they are below a certain chain length they can be transported straight into mitochondria for oxidation?

What I am shooting for is to get the free fatty acid concentration of my blood high enough that my greedy muscle cells will not deplete my blood of ketone bodies leaving enough for my brain not to go into that dim-witted state I experience during heavy lifting bouts. (Well, heavy for me.)

Someone recommended 10 tablespoons of CO + 50 grams of carbs. So I thought I would build up to the 10 tablespoons and skip the carbs. I have considered using superstarch, but even though that should not cause insulin spikes, it is still carbs. Carbs require 50% more oxygen to burn for the same amount of energy. Meaning they would tend to generate more reactive oxygen species. Sounds like something worth avoiding.

Anyway, I am mainly surprised at how well my gut tolerates all that CO.
Quote:
5.2 is well past the NK range, is that a typical reading for you?
I don't recall my morning readings ever being that high. But, similar to what Jimmy Moore saw, my BK levels go higher later in the day. I generally don't go above 2 or 3mM during the weekdays. But on the weekends I eat a higher fat breakfast and no lunch. This often sends me above 4 mM by late afternoon when I lift.

Nevertheless, I am almost always below 0.5mM after a lifting workout. But I am always back in ketosis by the morning. Well, I don't think I really fall out of ketosis, per se. Technically I am below 0.5mM, so that says "not in ketosis". But having BK levels below 0.5mM but your body is struggling to crank out more because they all got used up during lifting, is materially different, I would think, from just having your liver shut down ketone body production because there was plenty of glucose available.

--
Phillip
Old 04-29-2013, 05:37 AM   #2122
Senior LCF Member

Cheryl, I hope the docs figure out what is wrong with your mom. It takes a lot not to cheat in that kind of stressful situation. Kudos to you!

Janette - If it were me, I would call goal and maintain for 6 months, then decide if I wanted to tackle those last 5 lbs.

I weighed in at 189.6, still up from my previous low. It usually takes a week or longer for me to drop water weight from refilling glycogen stores. I'm feeling less anxious this morning because I finally got paid from my temp job. Waiting 3 weeks to get paid was hard! I'll get one more paycheck that will include the overtime.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:57 AM   #2123
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamt View Post
Cheryl, I hope the docs figure out what is wrong with your mom. It takes a lot not to cheat in that kind of stressful situation. Kudos to you!

Janette - If it were me, I would call goal and maintain for 6 months, then decide if I wanted to tackle those last 5 lbs.

I weighed in at 189.6, still up from my previous low. It usually takes a week or longer for me to drop water weight from refilling glycogen stores. I'm feeling less anxious this morning because I finally got paid from my temp job. Waiting 3 weeks to get paid was hard! I'll get one more paycheck that will include the overtime.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:03 AM   #2124
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
do you do other exercise or just run?

Yep, 5'3. I'm actually feeling more energy so at some point I'll probably try to do something to try and tone up. That'll probably make the scale go up a little. I just need to stop worrying about that 'number' too much and focus on how I feel because that's the real reason I'm doing this
I also weight train 3x/week for about 40-45 min. I really want to get back into ice hockey this fall, but I'm not sure my knee will cooperate (partial ACL tear 1.5 years ago and then re-injured a year ago).
Old 04-29-2013, 06:26 AM   #2125
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I also weight train 3x/week for about 40-45 min. I really want to get back into ice hockey this fall, but I'm not sure my knee will cooperate (partial ACL tear 1.5 years ago and then re-injured a year ago).
Do you mind if I ask your age? Do you follow any program for wt training or just lift?
Sorry about the ACL tear I hope you can enjoy hockey again!
Old 04-29-2013, 06:28 AM   #2126
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MRSKUBY
Stats: 179/176/140 5'5"
Morning! I had a busy weekend! I had company from Maine and Conn stay for the whole weekend. Sunday I helped my neighbor move furniture then went for a sunset hike up Mt Kearsage with some folks from my gym. Didn't get home and in bed till almost 11:30pm. It was awesome! I am constantly amazed at how much I can do with 30 less lbs and being in fat burning mode! I felt strong thru the whole hike!

Then this morning I got up at 5 am to go to bootcamp. But not only did I make thru the class...I kicked some bootcamp ass!

I am up 2 lbs this morning but I def had some carbs this weekend and my legs are pretty sore/tired so I'm sure it'll go away. I really hope so cause I saw 156.8 on Sat morning and that is my lowest so far! I wanna see it again!!
Old 04-29-2013, 06:32 AM   #2127
Major LCF Poster!

Mrskuby-the hike sounds amazing! You'll are making me think about maybe exercising
Old 04-29-2013, 06:58 AM   #2128
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Do you mind if I ask your age? Do you follow any program for wt training or just lift?
Sorry about the ACL tear I hope you can enjoy hockey again!
I am 39. I follow the program in The Body Sculpting Bible for Women book using adjustable dumbbells.

Thanks! I love ice hockey
Old 04-29-2013, 07:07 AM   #2129
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MRSKUBY
Stats: 179/176/140 5'5"
Quote:
Mrskuby-the hike sounds amazing! You'll are making me think about maybe exercising
The hike was fantastic! On the way down it was dark but we were all prepared with headlamps. Because we had to concentrate everyone was very quiet and it was peaceful, in a way. They are all great people with different levels of fitness and we worked together to get everyone up and down the mountain safely. I can't wait to do it again!
Old 04-29-2013, 07:15 AM   #2130
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I am 39. I follow the program in The Body Sculpting Bible for Women book using adjustable dumbbells.

Thanks! I love ice hockey
Im 39 too. I have not heard of that book but I'll look into it. Thanks for sharing info
Closed Thread